View Full Version : + Nokia N70 :: RM-84 v 2.0536.0.2 to 3.0546.2.3

Apocalypso
09-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Nokia N70 :: RM-84 MCU SW v 2.0536.0.2 to 3.0546.2.3

http://www.symbian-freak.com/images/news/05/09/n70tm.jpg (http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/1205/n70firmware.htm)

Nokia has released a new firmware version for Nokia N70.

Firmware 3.0546.2.3 will be available progressively in the next few days in the official Nokia Points and Nokia Service Points.

This release should improve the Nokia N70 performance as well as fixing known bugs and problems from previous versions. Read more in short the bulletin of the changes issued from Nokia.

Changes/improvements from MCU SW v 2.0536.0.2 to 3.0546.2.3

Bluetooth:
Audio routing corrected for HS-4W , HS-26W & HS-11W headsets & HS-6W Ca.. ...

http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/1205/n70firmware.htm

Sincerely yours,
Apoc ft Andyqkw

Frosty
09-12-2005, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the update. Let's see if it does what it says on the tin? ;)

joebloggs
10-12-2005, 08:07 PM
Stupid question.. How do I work out which firmware version I have currently? Also, how do I get the new firmware and if I install it will it typically erase everything in my phone's memory? :con?

Thanks.

steve_perry
10-12-2005, 08:45 PM
Stupid question.. How do I work out which firmware version I have currently? At the standby screen type:
*#0000#
Also, how do I get the new firmwareYou have to visit an authorised Nokia Service Centre (NSC) and ask them to upgrade the handset's firmware for you. If your phone is less than 12 months old this should be a free service... So as you have an N70 it should be free.
and if I install it will it typically erase everything in my phone's memory? :con? Yes... Your phone will be totally reset just like it came from the factory. Your MMC memory card and your SIM will not be affected though.
Thanks.No problem :)

S.

Ash_99
10-12-2005, 10:51 PM
Got mine flashed today with a unbranded N70 Firmware. I've lost the Orange Today screen .......... and its LOVELY !!!!!

(Still testing the firmware though).

p.s. If any of you intelligent guys want to get involved with resolving the N70 & TomTom Mobile issue, please feel free !

phooey
10-12-2005, 11:25 PM
Got mine flashed today with a unbranded N70 Firmware. I've lost the Orange Today screen .......... and its LOVELY !!!!!

p.s. If any of you intelligent guys want to get involved with resolving the N70 & TomTom Mobile issue, please feel free !

dude - where did you get this done? - i spoke to my local Nokia Service Centre and they said they wouldn't have anything until the new year :o

ps. i'm very jealous that you've lost your 'orrid orange front end.. but also pleased for you as i know what you were going through!

Ash_99
11-12-2005, 12:49 AM
The place I got it done from is a Nokia repair centre in Wolverhampton, ECS Ltd, Tel : 01902 452 888.

Tried for 2 hours to get through to The Car Phone Ware house, wasn't able to get through, they even kept picking the phone up and then putting it down.

Then I tried these guys, they said come down & sorted it out whilst I waited. Couldn't ask for better service.

If you do get it done from them, mention to 'em that Ash referred you ;-)

Ash_99
11-12-2005, 12:50 AM
Sorry, ECD Ltd !

ZeroCode
11-12-2005, 03:11 AM
Could this update fix the sound distortion problem with the Radio?

dez_borders
11-12-2005, 11:31 AM
Could this update fix the sound distortion problem with the Radio?

Hi,

I got the new O2 firmware on Monday and the Radio distortion problem is resolved. Should be the same on all other network versioon of FW.

Dez

phooey
11-12-2005, 02:58 PM
The place I got it done from is a Nokia repair centre in Wolverhampton, ECS Ltd, Tel : 01902 452 888.

Tried for 2 hours to get through to The Car Phone Ware house, wasn't able to get through, they even kept picking the phone up and then putting it down.

Then I tried these guys, they said come down & sorted it out whilst I waited. Couldn't ask for better service.

If you do get it done from them, mention to 'em that Ash referred you ;-)

Thanks Ash

if my local NSS fails then i will try these guys... i guess this unlocked your N70 too?

Ash_99
11-12-2005, 03:45 PM
It should have done, but I haven't checked.

Johnny Hormone
11-12-2005, 10:39 PM
Hi, I just got my n70 from Vodafone on-line. Will a Nokia Service Center do this for me, or since I got it through Vodafone will I have to send it to them for any upgrades? (sorry if this is a daft question :redface: )

Ash_99
11-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Either will do it, but it will be FASTER to get it done from a Nokia SS.

Johnny Hormone
11-12-2005, 10:56 PM
Cheers for the fast reply mate, I'll call the local place tomorrow and see if I can drop it in to them. If I can get it done quickly and resolve the TomTom issues I shall be a happy bunny :D

Ash_99
11-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Well, it will be interesting to know if it sorts it out for you.

Theres another thread I started to do with what GPS receivers people have got and if they are having problem.

Can you please update it with your information.

Thanks

ZeroCode
12-12-2005, 02:29 PM
I updated mine today to newest firmware. I confirm that there is no more radio noise problem. My N70 is without sim lock. I live in Denmark.

Ratkat
13-12-2005, 04:55 PM
I had my Vodafone N70 upgraded today to the new firmware at the Nokia service centre at Fareham......

........and it's now in the post on its way back to Nokia for repair after the upgrade failed. :mad:

Considering the phone was working fine, I have to say I wish I hadn't bothered getting it upgraded now, but hey such is life, I certainly won't bother in the future unless I have a real problem with the phone.

They tried both the Vodafone firmware and the generic Nokia one, both failed,

Ash_99
13-12-2005, 06:16 PM
Damn. When I had mine done, they were unable to update it with the Orange FW, but the generic Nokia FW worked.

stuclark
13-12-2005, 11:37 PM
Does anyone know a Nokia service centre in London which can update the N70?

CPW claim they won't be getting a firmware until after Christmas

Ash_99
14-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Have a look on Nokia's website, they will list all the NSC's that are closest to your postcode.

As for CPW, I bloody hate these guys, there a waste of time and ignorant as hell (I feel better now).

CJackel492
14-12-2005, 08:19 AM
I'm the guy who tried helping you revive your N70 using the "hold down the green / send, * and 3 keys and then switch on" procedure after your upgrade.

After you left and my upgrade was completed I switched on my N70 only to find "*#0000# reported version 2.0536.0.2 which was the same version I had before upgrade. I left my N70 with the guy doing the upgrading as he started downloading version 3.0546.2.3 from Nokia again. An hour later I called and was told the 2nd upgrade attempt still showed version 2.0536.0.2.

He will try again when the "Nokia Auditor" visits tomorrow. I'll know by lunch time.
Hope it gets sorted,

I'm looking to pop to Fareham (When I have time) to get my N70 Firmware updated and hopefully get rid of the ANNOYING Orange Home Screen Rubbish,

Carl,

stuclark
14-12-2005, 11:13 AM
Have a look on Nokia's website, they will list all the NSC's that are closest to your postcode.

I know that. It's just that most of them in London are CPWs, and the others all seem equally dull.

Going all the way to Fareham is a bit of a treck for me...

Ratkat
14-12-2005, 12:03 PM
I'm the guy who tried helping you revive your N70 using the "hold down the green / send, * and 3 keys and then switch on" procedure after your upgrade.

After you left and my upgrade was completed I switched on my N70 only to find "*#0000# reported version 2.0536.0.2 which was the same version I had before upgrade. I left my N70 with the guy doing the upgrading as he started downloading version 3.0546.2.3 from Nokia again. An hour later I called and was told the 2nd upgrade attempt still showed version 2.0536.0.2.

He will try again when the "Nokia Auditor" visits tomorrow. I'll know by lunch time.

Nice to meet you yesterday and thanks for trying to help

Well I took my phone to the Portsmouth Nokia service centre, they said it was unlikely that they would be able to fix it there and couldn't try and update the firmware until today because the auditor was there, so I sent it back to Nokia instead.

Came home and bought another one Sim Free (unfortuantly can't be with out a phone, due to nature of business), (new one still on old firmware).

When the original one comes back I will get the new one updated and then sell the Vodafone one.

Hope yours gets updated to the new firmware ok !!!

mark4130
15-12-2005, 11:38 AM
Im taking mine into Cellphones in Cheltenham on Saturday. Just spoke to the guy and he has confirmed they can flash the firmware but seeing as I want to flash from Orange to Nokia he will have to charge me 10 - a small price to pay to get rid of the bloody horrible Orange software!!
Quick question, does getting rid of the Orange firmware remove Line 2? This is the only supposed sticking point for me as I use it for work.

steve36
17-12-2005, 09:25 PM
I'm just about to take my N70 back for a firmware upgrade. It'd better be done on site or else.

My Nokia 9500 is still at Nokia over 4 weeks later as when it eventually came back it was 'not correct?!?!!'.

Nokia are rubbish, this should take a maximum of 24 hours + postage time. They've had it since mid-Nov.

Allow updates by users al-la Sony-Ericsson or Pocket PC NOW.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Steve.

P.S. It is quite a good phone, apart from the bluetooth being flakey.

mark4130
17-12-2005, 10:01 PM
AAARGH!!! Why are the majority of people working in phone shops complete tossers. I took my N70 in to Cellphone in Cheltenham today to get it flashed (as the guy on the phone had told me they had just downloaded all the latest software etc they could do it etc...
Well I went in this morning. The first thing I am being greeted with is 2 shop assistants - one is telling a guy that he categorically cannot unlock an SPV C500 and if he tried it would delete most of the phones functionality (he seemed to change his opinion when I got my unlocked C500 out of my pocket and pointed out that he wont lose anything if he unlocks it), the other is letting his phone ring and ring and ring because he was trying to impress the girl he was serving with a phone that could play an MP3 as a ringtone (excuse me, its 2005 - even my arse can play an MP3 as a ringtone).
So then its my turn and I give him my N70, he goes "ooh, not sure if you can flash these". Yes you can I reply, you even told me on the phone that you personally can do it.
So he dissapears for 5 minutes and then comes back to say "No, you cant flash them yet. No new firmware updates have been released. And even when they are released, you cant write over the Orange firmware".
At this point I decided I had heard enough from these comedy idiots and I didnt want to trust my phone to them.
So, does anybody know a Nokia Service Centre that can do the flashing for me????

Ash_99
17-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Moto of the story, CPW are a bunch of tossers.

Sorry, I don't know any service centres in your neck of the woods.

steve36
17-12-2005, 10:18 PM
It's not much consolation but the Nokia website does have details of the very few service centres that exist.
I think we should start a campaign for Nokia to stop this behavoir, the Sony Ericsson P900/910 phones can be upgraded by users in their own homes, this does not appear to have caused any serious problems.

It get's even worse after 12 months, you have to pay to get your phone to work properly.

GIVE US OUR FIRMWARE OR GET BETTER FACILITIES.

Steve.

P.S. The Coventry service centre appears to be very good, it's not their fault that the 9500 needed extra equipment for the upgrade.
IT IS HOWEVER NOKIAS FAULT FOR KEEPING IT FOR 4 WEEKS. IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!!!:mad: :mad:

etccarmageddon
18-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Hope it gets sorted,

I'm looking to pop to Fareham (When I have time) to get my N70 Firmware updated and hopefully get rid of the ANNOYING Orange Home Screen Rubbish,

Carl,got my done yesterday at a nokia service centre - asked them to put the generic firmware on it instead of the awful Orange one which has ruined the phone by putting on Orange homescreen rubbish.

this made the phone a lot quicker at doing things like text messaging - ie. opening the text message screen BUT there are problems - when you try to view video you get an error message 'web: invalid file format' - this was trying to view sky news headlines (the video version of course) or view any movie trailer. After spending 3 hours searching the web for an answer I found you need to download the 'pvplayer' which Orange put in their version of the firmware but isn't part of the generic firmware.

Next problem is Orange TV - this now will download but fails towards the end with an error ' unable to verify certificate'. When I had the Orange firmware loaded it downloaded but the web page would not allow me to activate the free trial. What a farce!

So if you remove the Orange firmware you end up with the 'proper' N70. I hope Orange eventually take notice and reduce the amount of tampering and perhaps provide a firmware update that returns the phone to a state where you have all the functionality of a sim free version.

mark4130
18-12-2005, 05:38 PM
glad you managed to get the Orange mess off your phone. Do you know if Line 2 still works?

etccarmageddon
18-12-2005, 06:11 PM
how do I check for line 2? I'm on pay as you go so that feature isn't available for me anyway.

leeroy107
20-12-2005, 03:07 PM
This is my first smartphone so i still learning from all the people here. After reading i realised i wanted to get the new Generic Firmware on my phone (its 3 at the moment) so i checked the nokia website for local repair centers (belfast) and found two, a carephone warehouse and Phonetics. I visited both and they told me they wouldnt flash the phone with the standard nokia software as its illegal to do so. I find this very strange as i know so many other people have gotten it done. Anyone got any ideas what else to try? ive tried a few phone repair and unlock shops and they say there unable to do it?
Cheers Guys.

Jay3gsm
20-12-2005, 03:48 PM
Try these guys:

http://www.fonefunshop.co.uk/

You'll need to post them your phone. They reflashed my K750i a few months ago.

leeroy107
21-12-2005, 11:15 AM
Thanks very much mate. Think I'll give them a try after Xmas.

dez_borders
22-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Hi,

TomTom Support state that the latest FW for the N70 is required and works OK with TT5.20... although we all know it's not working 100% even with both...

Dez

Response 22/12/2005 01.53 PM
Dear Mr Scott,

If ordering the Mobile software it will come with the 5.20 software installed so you should have no problem installing it. Please make sure that you N70 has the latest firmware installed as it is required.

We have tested a N70 here with the MK-II GPS and we have had no connection problems with it.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

RedDev11
30-12-2005, 01:25 AM
[QUOTE=Ash_99]The place I got it done from is a Nokia repair centre in Wolverhampton, ECS Ltd, Tel : 01902 452 888.

Then I tried these guys, they said come down

dez_borders
30-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Response 22/12/2005 01.53 PM
Dear Mr Scott,

If ordering the Mobile software it will come with the 5.20 software installed so you should have no problem installing it. Please make sure that you N70 has the latest firmware installed as it is required.

Response 23/12/2005 11.34 AM
Dear Mr Scott,

You can use the installer for the N90 as the installer is the same. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Customer 22/12/2005 03.40 PM
The 5.20 patch on your website does not have an N70 option to install. Which option do you recommend? OR Is the retail version of 5.20 different from the website patch download?

vjleon11
07-01-2006, 06:30 PM
I got my N70 with:
V 3.0546.2.3
18-11-05
RM-84

and works perfect...

readbmr
15-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Hi, has anybody got the Orange Tv to work on the new nokia n70 firmware
v3.0546.2.3 rm 84 ? Just a little worried as have heard rumours it wont work !! If anybody has got it, did you have to download any other compatable platers to watch the orange tv ?,

Hope somebody can help regarding this and thankyou from Brian.

stuclark
16-01-2006, 10:38 AM
I got my Orange N70 flashed up to 3.0546 generic over the weekend. Initially Orange TV wouldn't start up (this is actually a bug with the Java implementation on the phone) - simply re-install the app. from the Orange portal and it works fine!

readbmr
16-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Just want to say many thanx for your help, and my phone at the moment with a nokia repair !! I actually took my orange n70 to the nokia repair centre to get the firmware upgraded and it went wrong, so they sent it of to nokia and said it will come back with the original orange firmware !!! Not good hey and i asked if they could flash the orange phone when it comes back to the nokia latest generic, and they said they cant do it and something to do with the orange n70 !!!! Frustrating hey, so will have to look else where or buy a comepletely unlocked sim free from nokia....
Thankyou again for your help and cant wait to get this all sorted..
Brian

garycat
18-01-2006, 03:49 PM
I got my Orange N70 flashed up to 3.0546 generic over the weekend. Initially Orange TV wouldn't start up (this is actually a bug with the Java implementation on the phone) - simply re-install the app. from the Orange portal and it works fine!

Where did you get this done? How much & how long?

Cheers
Gary

SebBelcher
18-01-2006, 04:29 PM
I got my 3 branded N70 upgraded to the latest generic firmware today, its lovely now!

Stezo2k
22-01-2006, 09:26 AM
Tried to get my firmware upgraded from ECD and they wanted 20 for it

anybody know where i can get it free? I mean its still under warrenty

poglasgow
22-01-2006, 11:59 AM
i went to a service centre he said he could flash it to SW 3.0546.2.3 but when i got it back it was SW 2.0539.1.2 the guy said my phone is a v2 phone and couldn't do it to 3.0546.2.3 as only v3 phones support that,

what is this all about ? is he talking crap? i paid 25 for it

Ash_99
22-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Nokia are supposed to upgrade for free if the newer firmware addresses some of the problems you may be experiencing.

If they can not upgrade it by using the Network provider customised firmware, they should upgrade it by using a Nokia generic firmware.

Go back to the shop, get your money back and get them to upgrade it to the latest generic firmware version.

Ash_99
22-01-2006, 09:16 PM
p.s. If they refuse, tell em that you are going to contact Club Nokia and if they still refuse .............. contact Club Nokia !

azzy
23-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Hi .

I am having problem with downloading the orange tv application, what happens is that during the installation of the application right at the end last second i get an error message saying "unable to verify certificate". The other problem is that when i download a video clip from the orangeworld and play it through the pv player, i can see the video but cannot hear anything. My original handset was on orange branded i had it flashed to a nokia generic software, the version now is v3.0546.2.3 18-11-05 RM-84, all help is welcome. Thanks

Stezo2k
23-01-2006, 03:51 PM
p.s. If they refuse, tell em that you are going to contact Club Nokia and if they still refuse .............. contact Club Nokia !
cheers mate, will do

thanx for the help

gavc_uk
07-02-2006, 08:42 PM
The Carphone Warehouse in Bristol (Cribbs) and Westcomm in Bath both said they would only update my Orange N70 with Orange firmware so I used fonefunshop.co.uk who were excellent. I would recommend them strongly.

I now have my Nokia firmware and tomtom is much more stable.

I am still getting occasions where my headset does not get recognised until I reboot.

Ash_99
08-02-2006, 01:06 AM
I know of quite a few people that have a problem with Car phone warehouse. Mainly there lack of knowledge, not willing to help and putting red tape in your way when there is no need.

CAR PHONE WAREHOUSE ARE PRATS !

Can we start a anti Car Phone Warehouse Campaign ????

b13bat
25-02-2006, 07:20 PM
For firmware updates try www.fonefunshop.co.uk charges 20 but well worth it and they right on the ball too:icon14: :) :cool:

chintapallvamsi
22-03-2006, 01:09 PM
i want N70 firmware.where can i get it?

gavc_uk
22-03-2006, 01:33 PM
That has to be just about the laziest question ever asked!

Liquid_Li0n
25-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Check this thread about the version 5 firmware:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45165

sree
27-03-2006, 08:28 AM
Check this thread about the version 5 firmware:

Hi Liquid_Lion,

Iam planning to buy a new 1GB MMC for my N70. Will it slow down the phones performance??

Please give me ur valuable suggestions on this.....

Take care,
Sree........

Uncurbed
11-04-2006, 04:29 PM

What is the problem with TomTom? I got it working on my 6680 and also on the N70 without problems.

jon29
11-04-2006, 05:33 PM
What is the problem with TomTom? I got it working on my 6680 and also on the N70 without problems.

But what GPS receiver are you using?

Jon

dez_borders
13-04-2006, 06:58 PM
For firmware updates try www.fonefunshop.co.uk charges 20 but well worth it and they right on the ball too:icon14: :) :cool:

I can highly recommend FonFunShop for de-branding and FW upgrades (20)

I just received my N70 back from FoneFunShop today, and was expecting to be upgraded from T-Mobile branded V2.0357 FW to nokia (de-branded) V3.0536 Firmware.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that my N70 now has the following FW...

V 5.0609.2.0.1 01-03-06 RM-84

I will do some TomTom testing over the Easter weekend and post some findings early next week.

Uncurbed
13-04-2006, 10:58 PM
But what GPS receiver are you using?

Jon

I have the 'Bluei BT' and any other blutooth module should work.
What exactly is the problem?

dez_borders
18-04-2006, 11:06 AM
I can highly recommend FonFunShop for de-branding and FW upgrades (20)

I was pleasantly surprised to see that my N70 now has the following FW...

V 5.0609.2.0.1 01-03-06 RM-84

I will do some TomTom testing over the Easter weekend and post some findings early next week.

Hi folks,

Due to illness, I didn't manage to get a long journey to test TomTom and V5 Firmware, however here's a few preliminary findings...

1. No longer need to reboot N70 before or after using TomTom 5.20 - COOL!
2. Still recommend disabling POI's and only use "Warn only when on Route" for Speedcams
3. Recommend connecting your BT headset BEFORE launching TomTom

I will do a long journey test this weekend, but all things considered it's looking really good for N70/TomTom when the Generic V5.xx firmware is installed.

Cheers,
Dez

Liquid_Li0n
18-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Check this thread for v5 firmware version

markyboyd
03-07-2006, 11:51 PM
any nokia firmware upgrade and debrand service

all for 15 @ http://www.fonefunshop.co.uk/Unlocking/firmwareupgrade.htm

they even display the firmware version they are going to flash your phone with before you send it to them

FoneFunShop ROCK !!!:rock: