All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Series 60 (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Review: eReader (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91943)

slitchfield 29-12-2009 06:05 PM

Review: eReader

Ewan snuggles up in his favourite chair by the Christmas tree, with a selection of novels on his S60 5th Edition smartphone, courtesy of the brand new eReader application (and ecosystem). Apart from the use of a restrictive ebook format, there's very little to complain about, it seems, and Ewan has no problem recommending that you give the free eReader a try.

Read on in the full article.

miko 29-12-2009 06:57 PM

sorry, but where is the link to the free application?

juwlz 29-12-2009 07:47 PM

Google is your friend

Search for ereader symbian and this is the first result on the page, with downloads for many Symbian flavours.

Julie

Unregistered 29-12-2009 08:49 PM

Nicely done. Way better than ZXreader.

Hooksym 29-12-2009 09:31 PM

Ewan,

I'm curious, because I can't get the new eReader ro paginate a whole book. It will paginate maybe 40 pages and then just kind of hangs. If I stop it, it will tell me the last page it paginated is the last page of the book. Did you test this?

Open a book and select "Go to last page" from the menu. Does it go to the real last page or does it go only part way through the book and you can't go further. This is on a NAM 5800 with the v31 firmware.

I've emailed them but so far have no answer.

rvirga 29-12-2009 09:45 PM

Using the (landscape) virtual qwerty to enter your login information crashes S60v5 hard: the phone first locks up, and then shuts down moments later. Tested on: Samsung i8910 HD, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic. Nice OS you have here, if a normal application can do that.
Also, Symbian lacks a system serif font, so the text looks crappy (like in your screenshots). I'll try copying over Times New Roman from Windows later, to see if the situation improves. Btw, on Android it looks great, mostly because the good folks at Google took the time to include a serif font, that eReader selects by default.
Finally, there's a very wide selection, but prices are way too high. Ebooks often cost more than even their hardcover dead-tree counterparts, let alone paperback. You're charged even for many public-domain books. Can it read Project Gutenberg books in Plucker format (they're also .pdb files)?

Unregistered 29-12-2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvirga (Post 452643)
Using the (landscape) virtual qwerty to enter your login information crashes S60v5 hard: the phone first locks up, and then shuts down moments later. Tested on: Samsung i8910 HD, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic. Nice OS you have here, if a normal application can do that.

No such problems here, all works fine. Must be you.

Unregistered 29-12-2009 09:55 PM

I think the sans is easier on the eye myself.

Hooksym 29-12-2009 11:01 PM

Actually, I get the resetting of the phone when using the landscape keyboard. While an annoyance, it is not as serious a problem as the pagination problem. I'd love to find out all of this is me, but I don't see how. Open to suggestion. ;)

rvirga 30-12-2009 12:17 AM

I wasn't able to install Times New Roman. Does anyone knows how to install truetype fonts in S60, so that they are picked by eReader?
Here are the Symbian and Android versions side-by-side. I find the Symbian one very ugly and much harder to read. I've also noticed it lacks anti-aliasing. Unless I can manage to improve it by using a different font, I'm going to uninstall it.

jonquirk 30-12-2009 01:32 PM

Crashed badly for me on 5800, v31 firmware with large QWERTY keyboard. Selected mini QWERTY in another app firsrt which seems to help.

Had similar bad crash in Ovi Maps recently; had to remove and reinstall.

boothy 02-01-2010 12:41 PM

Hi Ewan

On my N97 the new ereader software is anything but stable the pagination does not work at all and hangs forever.Also page turning stops every 10 pages or so and you have to return to menu and back to restart.I have had other similar comments from N97 users on the forum.

Its a shame I yet to use a version of ereader which is not bug free the pagination used to stuggle (but at least worked) on my N95 8gb.

Boothy

Unregistered 03-01-2010 01:36 PM

pagination

You can get more pages by changing screen size or orientation then back to preferred size. This gives you another 5/6 pages, then you have to repeat this. Quicker than exiting and re-opening.

Dombo1 04-01-2010 12:02 PM

Books not available for purchase in UK

Never mind the fact that, of the several ebooks that I wish to purchase from the ereader.com online store, NONE are available for purchase if your geographic location is the UK (and this is based on your credit card billing address, so no fudging the issue as is possible with Mobipocket).

Hence, this application is of absolutely no use to me (unless someone can enlighten me as to how to view books purchased on Mobipocket on the eReader software).

boothy 04-01-2010 09:26 PM

Hi Dombo1

Try Diesel Books who do not have too many geographic restrictions or books on board (booksonboard.com)who have both us and uk sites selling both ereader and mobipocket format(they vary to region)I have not had too many problems switching between sites.

Boothy