All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Links of Interest (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   A world record? 62 full applications running at the same time on Symbian OS (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94289)

slitchfield 08-04-2010 10:59 AM

A world record? 62 full applications running at the same time on Symbian OS

You may remember that I've been following the adventures of Andy, aka 'HyperX', in his attempts to produce wonderful things with modified firmware for the power house Samsung i8910 HD. His latest adventure, in video form below, shows a whopping 62 full applications running at the same time. Also impressive is 194MB of free RAM after booting. Gulp. For the record, I'm now on HX 3.29 on my i8910 HD - and yes, there's probably a part 3 coming to my own HX journey. Walking on the wild side indeed - the performance of some parts of S60 with 62 apps all running is a little patchy, as you'll see in the video!

Read on in the full article.

VoReason 08-04-2010 11:48 AM

Steve, the only way you could have a worthy wrap-up of your 'walk on the wide side' is to attempt to tweak your own custom firmware.

Do it!

Unregistered 08-04-2010 01:02 PM

What Ho! Look out folks, later today the iPhone might just possibly be able to run more than a single whole one app at once, and world will go CRAZY for it! Looking forward to the year 2025 when the iPhone will finally be engineered well enough to run 62 apps too :)

Unregistered 08-04-2010 01:27 PM

n82 can do more

I've managed to have around 70 apps open on n82 at one time with 4mb ram still to spare.

Unregistered 08-04-2010 02:53 PM

Never on N97 mini!

That is an impossible task on an N97 mini. Too bad.

Unregistered 08-04-2010 05:21 PM

8910 running 62 apps at the same time (63 inlcuding Handytaskman)

Firmware: HX-V4-Speed-SE (free RAM at BOOT-UP = 194 MB)

hargs48 08-04-2010 06:51 PM

194mb Free RAM out of 256mb total is amazing!

jApi NL 08-04-2010 07:16 PM

194 MB RAM free !

Something to look forward to : 62 full Apps running at the same time and one Handy Taskman to command them all simultanously would be the like of a crowd of people using 62 iPhones .
Just need more RAM ....

:) Regards jApi NL

iFanboy 08-04-2010 08:17 PM

Quick question everyone, with iPhone 4.0 announced now including FULL multi tasking, among MANY other improvements and the 4th gen iPhone not being announced yet is there anything more to denounce the iPhone as smartphone platform? What will all the naysayers cling onto now? Copy and paste has been implemented and it's the best implementation of it among any OS there is, 4 billion app downloads more than 3.5k apps for iPad alone in a week and 3 MILLION app downloads for just the iPad in launch the iPhone platform is a JUGGERNAUT :-) What to complain about now?

slitchfield 08-04-2010 08:37 PM

"including FULL multi tasking" It's NOT full multitasking. Not even close. 8-)

Unregistered 08-04-2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iFanboy (Post 462874)
Quick question everyone, with iPhone 4.0 announced now including FULL multi tasking, among MANY other improvements and the 4th gen iPhone not being announced yet is there anything more to denounce the iPhone as smartphone platform? What will all the naysayers cling onto now? Copy and paste has been implemented and it's the best implementation of it among any OS there is, 4 billion app downloads more than 3.5k apps for iPad alone in a week and 3 MILLION app downloads for just the iPad in launch the iPhone platform is a JUGGERNAUT :-) What to complain about now?

As an iPhone owner, can I please have a phone that can get and keep a connection? Why am I often the only one with no signal, same network different phones. Poxy iPhone what use is a connected device if it can't connect? And some battery life would be nice. And a camera that can at least try and take something better than a 1995 digicam.

I also notice that Apple have left the 2G behind now, no OS 4 for the original. And 3G owners won't get multi-tasking. Because Steve Jobs says the 3G don't have the processor for multi-tasking. Jailbreakers don't agree - works fine for them.

And they are making advertising an intrinsic part of the OS. Time for me to get out of iPhone world. Just as Symbian^3 and ^4 is due out. Perfect timing!

Unregistered 08-04-2010 09:46 PM

> with iPhone 4.0 announced now including FULL multi tasking

Sorry to rain on your party fella, but it's nowhere near full multitasking. If you look at the details, it's actually simple suspending a task in a frozen state, and then reactivating it in the same state - basically putting it to sleep. There are exceptions for audio playing functionality in an app and for receiving GPS coordinates which can happen in the background.

What this shows is quite frankly that Apple don't have the engineering skill to implement full multitasking, and (shock horror at the very notion ;-) ) - the many years of development and experience that have gone into Symbian really have made all the difference and created the world's best multitasking OS (it's certainly light years ahead of iPhone, Android and anything else out there) - and notice I said OS, not mobile OS.

iPhone offers a great UI, plenty of app choice, and that's really about it. Everything else is inferior. And on those couple of plus points the gap is closing fast between the iPhone and it's rivals. I wouldn't buy an iPhone if you paid me, I really wouldn't. Symbian has WAY more of a future. And as for Android, it's barely worth mentioning.

iFanboy 08-04-2010 09:52 PM

"As an iPhone owner, can I please have a phone that can get and keep a connection? Why am I often the only one with no signal, same network different phones. Poxy iPhone what use is a connected device if it can't connect?"

That can happen with any phone, sorry you can't keep a connection, I can keep one just fine on my 3GS, so can my girlfriend with her 3G, move to a different network maybe?

"And some battery life would be nice"

Uhhh I can give you screenshots if you want of my 3GS easily running over 24 hours heavy usage if you'd like? Hell I can even send you a screenshot of 4 days light usage too :-)

"And a camera that can at least try and take something better than a 1995 digicam."

I'm guessing you have a 3G or 2G? The 3GS camera is really good and easily on par with any of Nokia's attempts, except maybe the N86 :-) Video is superb

"I also notice that Apple have left the 2G behind now, no OS 4 for the original"

Really? I was under the impression that they would get 4.0, just not every feature? If that's true then fair enough to Apple the phones 3 years old now with outdated hardware but I agree it's a shame they've left it behind :-/

"And 3G owners won't get multi-tasking. Because Steve Jobs says the 3G don't have the processor for multi-tasking. Jailbreakers don't agree - works fine for them."

Can't comment on this, never multi tasked with my old 3G but if my girlfriends is anything to go by, that thing's slow as feck with just ONE app running, so I'll go with Jobs on this one :-)

"And they are making advertising an intrinsic part of the OS. Time for me to get out of iPhone world. Just as Symbian^3 and ^4 is due out. Perfect timing!"

Not intrinsic part, advertising will ALWAYS be a part of software (Why do you think Google has done so well?!) all Apple have done is "prettified" it, which I sure as help won't complain about - oh and if you think Symbian won't have advertising with it - let me know how that goes! ;-)

Oh and Steve - Youre right I mis-read (was out at a meal and trying to read updates whilst not being meant to be on the phone is quite hard! :-p) it isn't TRUE multi-tasking. Yet every app that needs to work in the background will be able to, and you can then switch between apps, is anything more needed? :-)

Either way folks, the reasons to complain about/call the iPhone platform for is going downwards, I think with the advent of the iPhone G4 (And with it more software announcements, like the 3GS before it) things are gonna get A LOT more interesting :-)

iFanboy 08-04-2010 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 462879)
> with iPhone 4.0 announced now including FULL multi tasking

Sorry to rain on your party fella, but it's nowhere near full multitasking. If you look at the details, it's actually simple suspending a task in a frozen state, and then reactivating it in the same state - basically putting it to sleep. There are exceptions for audio playing functionality in an app and for receiving GPS coordinates which can happen in the background.

What this shows is quite frankly that Apple don't have the engineering skill to implement full multitasking, and (shock horror at the very notion ;-) ) - the many years of development and experience that have gone into Symbian really have made all the difference and created the world's best multitasking OS (it's certainly light years ahead of iPhone, Android and anything else out there) - and notice I said OS, not mobile OS.

iPhone offers a great UI, plenty of app choice, and that's really about it. Everything else is inferior. And on those couple of plus points the gap is closing fast between the iPhone and it's rivals. I wouldn't buy an iPhone if you paid me, I really wouldn't. Symbian has WAY more of a future. And as for Android, it's barely worth mentioning.

yeah I caught myself out on the multi tasking, I hold my hands up on that one (which not a lot of people do on the internet these days)

Regarding symbian being better, how exactly? Because it multi-tasks like a real computer?

I fail to see how FULL multi tasking makes it superior in any way?

You say iPhone is just a pretty UI with an astounding app catalougue, then what does that make symbian? An abysmal UI with a terribly ugly App catalougue??

Unregistered 08-04-2010 10:32 PM

@IFanboy. You are wrong. I've done this experiment again and again. Fringe signal area, two phones, same network. One iPhone, one Nokia. Nokia has 3 bars, iPhone has Searching > No Signal. Tried on o2, tried on Vodafone same result.

Battery life goes down like a proverbial compared too. Phones increase their transmit power when they are struggling to connect. Not good....I just got the 20% low warning.

3GS camera LOL!!!

A jailbroken 3G can multi-task. Slow as you say, yes, but then it is an iPhone.

I also want a proper USB connection, the ability to manage content on the phone (not through a desktop app) a flash, a downloadable iPlayer app and the ability to manage calls without unlocking the phone. Home screen widgets would be good too. The thing is a piece of shit, if it didn't have the one killer app that I need it would be long gone.

I don't have to use google, so I can avoid their ads, but making the OS adcentric is going to be a pain.