All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nokia Nseries S60 5.0 phones (Nokia N97 and Nokia N97 mini) (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   two very quick debranding questions (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89554)

riverboat 25-10-2009 01:58 PM

two very quick debranding questions

Hi All.

Should be getting my (white) Three N97 on Tuesday.

I intend to debrand it the same day!

I assume this is the code i need

0570817: RM-505_EMEA_EURO_QW1 Black?

I have read and reread the page linked below

http://nokia.nigelcoldwell.co.uk/firmware.htm

Now i know i need to shutdown and exit Nokia pcsuite, but when i connect the phone, i assume it will ask me what mode to connect in, is it "usb mode" ?

And one other question, i don't know what version FW it will be running when i get it, but does it matter, can i just plough straight into it?

ps running Vista

ironass 25-10-2009 02:09 PM

Oh dear... not off to a good start here I'm afraid.

You mention that you are getting a "white" N97 and then proceed to give the BLACK Euro code.

You might be better off with this code:-

0576350: RM-505_EMEA_EURO_QW1 White

I assume you mean connecting to NSS. That is done in virtual USB mode.

To find what firmware your phone comes with just type *#0000# on the dial screen.

You will need to use the Nokia Software Updater to install the unbranded firmware.

riverboat 25-10-2009 02:16 PM

Hi, cheers for the reply, i used the most commonly posted product code, so assume this would be the safest one.
I was sure that i had read that the colour wasn't relevant.

Thanks V Much

riverboat 26-10-2009 06:05 PM

So, does it make any difference (with regard to debranding) what firmware the phone arrives with?

Lo-fi Genius 26-10-2009 10:00 PM

Not as far as I'm aware. So, come on people who've done it; should I de-brand?

I did my N95 (which I'm seriously considering going back to) with NSS, which was unbelievably easy. Is it the same process with the new NSS or do I have to learn to use JAF?

jonathan488 26-10-2009 10:37 PM

Learn to use JAF - I did and it only takes about a minute.

N97 Fanatics have a good article:
http://www.n97fanatics.com/complete-...our-nokia-n97/

I'm on Three also and would highly recommend it. I had to wait a month for the first update to be released by them and I'm not doing that again!

Lo-fi Genius 26-10-2009 10:47 PM

Cheers jonathan, much appreciated. I'll give that a go tomorrow evening.......wish me luck!

riverboat 27-10-2009 06:53 AM

Surely the method linked to in my first post is by far the easiest?

angiepea 27-10-2009 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverboat (Post 443872)
Surely the method linked to in my first post is by far the easiest?

I think so too Riverboat :)

riverboat 27-10-2009 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angiepea (Post 443874)
I think so too Riverboat :)

Is that the method you used?

I have been folowing all the postings in the thread about V2!

angiepea 27-10-2009 07:17 AM

yes i've debranded 2 N97s with that method, and although someone was "holding my hand" so to speak the actual process in the end was really siimple :)

ironass 27-10-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverboat (Post 443685)
Hi, cheers for the reply, i used the most commonly posted product code, so assume this would be the safest one.
I was sure that i had read that the colour wasn't relevant.

Thanks V Much

I own a black N97, roughly 75% of N97 owners have black which is why the code is widely quoted, and so therefore cannot say definitively what the differences are between the black and white firmwares although I am given to understand that there are subtle changes, possibly theme related. I don't see Nokia going to all the trouble of releasing colour coded firmware without a reason. Either way, it seems that both will work on each model.

As for the firmware the phone comes with, and it's affect on debranding, you should stick with NAM firmware if that's what the phone comes with, and Euro if it's a European model as there are differences.

riverboat 27-10-2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian-ross@beeb.n (Post 443883)
I own a black N97, roughly 75% of N97 owners have black which is why the code is widely quoted, and so therefore cannot say definitively what the differences are between the black and white firmwares although I am given to understand that there are subtle changes, possibly theme related. I don't see Nokia going to all the trouble of releasing colour coded firmware without a reason. Either way, it seems that both will work on each model.

As for the firmware the phone comes with, and it's affect on debranding, you should stick with NAM firmware if that's what the phone comes with, and Euro if it's a European model as there are differences.

No, i'm on three in the Uk.....sitting in waiting for phone to arrive on my day off as we speak.

This is the code you quoted me earlier and that would seem fine for me

ironass 27-10-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverboat (Post 443898)
No, i'm on three in the Uk.....sitting in waiting for phone to arrive on my day off as we speak.

This is the code you quoted me earlier and that would seem fine for me

Good luck with the debranding.

I can confirm that this does work:-

http://nokia.nigelcoldwell.co.uk/firmware.htm

just make sure when you use NSS that you have fully exited Nokia PC Suite/Ovi Suite as there seems to be some conflict there. :icon14:

volvo940se 29-10-2009 12:02 PM

OK new to all this as have always been a sonyericsson user, but have also done the product code change before on a N95 I had a couple of years ago. It seems from what I have read, that Nokia can tell if you have changed the product code, but I have already done this yesterday to see if the update was available but it was obviously pulled or other issues due to the load on Nokias servers. So now to my questions. As I have already changed the product codes, even though now it is back to the original 0585262 VF code, I can only assume I have now voided my warrenty. SO now changing it to the euro 1 0570817 euro 1 black code I know after checking that it is available to update now. So if I do the update how can I get my wap, mms, and so on settings back on my phone to be able to use them. Is there a settings wizard or something like there is on SE phones, to be able to download these items, as all I seem to be able to find is email setup. Has anyone had to take a phone in for repair after changing the product code and been charged as I find it hard to belive that changing the product code due to Nokia being soo slow to release the various versions of software would effect a hardware issue such as the camera lens issue or as some have had the slider issue. Yes if you change the product code and fry the software then you would expect to have to pay for the repair, but not for an issue that is hardware related and so well documented as well.