All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Series 60 (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   BBC iPlayer for S60 goes live... with caveats (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76404)

Unregistered 02-12-2008 06:30 PM

much success

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 402561)
The newer version of the .wgz file doesn't have N95 support - I know because I've just done exactly the same as you. You have to edit the .js file (as mentioned in the first page of this thread) to include N95. After that you have access to the content, although still can't download to your phone, only stream.

With the little edit of the script (n95|) streamed TV and Radio works an absolute treat over wifi connection.

However downloading video results in web browser being launched and a licience being obtained from BBC but then message about the video not being supported on the phone. I've read that but thought for a moment when it was downloading it was going to work, how cruel.

Also there is no option to listen live to the radio stations like you do with the web based iplayer. Prior to the iplayer I used to stream the radio live directly from the web page on the n95, very useful as radio reception is very poor in my house. I was really hoping that I would be able to return to the functionality I previously enjoyed.

Over all very chuffed with it, well done to the cracker guy who made it possible but I wonder how long it will be until the BBC shut out the poor old n95 user again.

TomJ 02-12-2008 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 402909)
Also there is no option to listen live to the radio stations like you do with the web based iplayer. Prior to the iplayer I used to stream the radio live directly from the web page on the n95, very useful as radio reception is very poor in my house. I was really hoping that I would be able to return to the functionality I previously enjoyed.

(Please note that everything I say is tested on an E90 and I can only assume it'll work on other S60 devices)

It's still possible to listen to BBC Radio streaming over Realplayer, just a smidge difficult to set up. The links aren't terribly easy to set up; f'rinstance Radio 4 as live (thesre is always a smidge of a delay from the analogue broadcast on any digital or internet stream) is rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/radio4/live/r4_dsat_g2.ra?BBC-UID=84b9936567ab5a49858a9a1fa0a0a88725f597329030f1 94549fd9677403c3f4&SSO2-UID=

The best way I know of to regularly listen to BBC radio is to populate the streaming links section of Gallery with links to the stations and/or programmes you want to listen to. First, in Web, goto options-settings-general and turn Java/ECMA Script off. Then go to the station you want's webpage (eg www.bbc.co.uk/radio4) and select the listen live link, generally in the top right corner of the page. This will take you to an iPlayer page asking you to turn Javascript on, but vitally offering you the chance to launch in RealPlayer. Once RealPlayer launches, hit cancel. This will bring up a dialogue '"filename" not saved. Save now?' Select yes, pick memory or card (I'd go for card) and give it a meaningful name. Next time you want that station you can select it straight from Gallery's Streaming Links section. You can do similar things for the listen again links of regular programmes; f'rinstance I have various comedies on BBC7 in the Gallery, though you may need to change link's title when the series in that particular slot changes. Once you're done, reactivate javascript (or not) at your leisure.

Langdale 03-12-2008 07:35 PM

I'm happy to say I have got iplayer working on my i8510 on o2 over 3g :D

Unregistered 04-12-2008 07:42 PM

much moe success

Absolutely fantastic, streaming live radio4 now, thank you so much for the info.

I've also noted that I can also stream iplayer through the 3 access point on my n95 classic from three mobile, although the picture did break up and it had to buffer the video quite often. It still works a treat over wifi.

Faldiver 08-12-2008 04:21 PM

Hi,

I have read this thread with interest - I am trying to get IPlayer 1.5 to work on a N95 8Gb.
I have edited the JS file and repackaged before installing on my phone.
I can get Iplayer to work through Wifi, but not 3G (TMobile).

If somebody has an edited wgz file that WORKS on the N95 8Gb through 3G, could they zip it up and email it to me please?

nlpope*at*gmail.com

Many thanks.

TomJ 11-12-2008 03:51 PM

Someone's posted a much simpler method to get live streaming links than mine: links are at http://www.bbcradio.mobi/

Mine is the only way I know of to get series listen again links though.

Unregistered 16-12-2008 11:29 PM

wgz probs

have followed the directions to include my n82 but I cant seem to get nokia application install manager to recognise my wgz file, any suggestions?

RichardShah 26-12-2008 01:15 PM

Great Advice

Hey people great advice being given here but I seem to be the onl one with this problem 9thoughI only read the comments viewable on the first page with the article. I have download iplayer.wgz, installed it and when I load it up (via my wifi link), all I get are the BBC iPlayer logo (which says beta, even though the screenshots on the article show it's at 1.0), the Home, TV, Radio, and Search options and then at the bottom just BBC with a copyright logo and 2008 in small, white print. When I try and click on the above items you intially see a hand cursor and then just an arrow, but no real response!
My phone is an N95 btw... anyone else experiencing this problem?? I can't see any shows!!

If someone could help me I'd feel great appreciation!!

Thank you,

Richard.

RichardShah 26-12-2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 404524)
have followed the directions to include my n82 but I cant seem to get nokia application install manager to recognise my wgz file, any suggestions?

I just bluetoothed it to myself, but you could just put it somewhere on your phone or memory card area and locate it via the file File Manager (or File mgr. as it should appear on your phone).

riverboat 04-01-2009 10:03 PM

Hi All

Don't know if some of the earlier intelligent posters in this thread can help out.

I had Iplayer Beta V1 working fine over 3g using info from this post
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...t=76404&page=4

(I have a GREAT 3g connection where i want to use Iplayer and good data package with 3UK)

And all was working perfect. I updated to the Iplayer Beta 1.5 and all was still working great for weeks.

Yesterday i went to view a program and the area where the programs should be was blank.
There are headings for tv radio,,,,etc, and you can click on them but nothing happens.

So i went back to Beta V1 and edited the app-min.js file as before, bluetoothed it to the phone, installed fine, but still the same blank area.

So if i download the Iplayer beta version 1.5 to the pc, is there anyway to edit it? to work with my Nokia N95 (latest firmware) and to run over 3g?

jukoo_uk 10-01-2009 01:43 PM

bbc radio

hello, to listen to bbc radio, point your browser to "bbcradio.mobi" this site is much easier to use than any other one, and it has a full list of bbc radio channels that can be streamed from an iphone, mobile, or pc. This site has all bbc radio channels, in both real player, and windows media player streams.

walsh6943 25-01-2009 05:13 PM

Loaded iplayer and edited script on E90 but it doesn't work

Thank you for the info on how to run the iplayer on the E90. I have followed the threads above and completed the changes that were suggested. I loaded it on my phone and after asking for the network connection, it just sits there and nothing else works except exit. Any ideas?

buglawton 18-02-2009 01:09 PM

a radio only option

There's a simple way to get live and listen again Real Audio content from the BBC, just go to the Beebotron site via the Web Browser. Works well using n78 + WLAN (in fact there seem to be a lot more content on Listen Again than iPlayer..).

I can't yet get RA to launch with packet data on Virgin Mobile UK, that's the next challenge!

Unregistered 09-06-2009 09:02 PM

nokia 5800

works perfect on nokia 5800 come pre loaded i updated my firmware and lost it got it back now great app

Unregistered 18-06-2009 01:13 AM

Basically, the newest damned wgz file from BBC prevents any phone other than N96 from accessing mobile iplayer (even N78, and perhaps N95 etc).

For those who have this problem, download ver 1.0 of the iplayer wgz file here:

http://www.createopen.com/m/iplayer.wgz