All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Series 60 (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   BBC iPlayer for S60 goes live... with caveats (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76404)

willharris24 02-10-2008 09:09 AM

N82

it now works - thanks..

i had a few problems in getting it to chose a wifi connection and not a 3g connection, but what is really strange is that while you can only run the application on wifi, when you actually start streaming the video using realplayer it starts a 3g connection and then streams over that (i know this is the case as my connection manager says i've used 3MB watching under a minute of video)

what is going on?

Will

Ratkat 02-10-2008 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willharris24 (Post 393710)

it now works - thanks..

i had a few problems in getting it to chose a wifi connection and not a 3g connection, but what is really strange is that while you can only run the application on wifi, when you actually start streaming the video using realplayer it starts a 3g connection and then streams over that (i know this is the case as my connection manager says i've used 3MB watching under a minute of video)

what is going on?

Will

Goto Tools/Settings/Applications/Realplayer/Streaming/Network/ then set default access point to your WiFi

neilhoskins 02-10-2008 09:35 AM

Doesn't work. First of all, you have to go into the guts of the system to set the bloody access point for RealPlayer (AAAAAARRRGGGGHHH!!!!!!). Then I just get the usual thing that I get with all the BBC Realplayer feeds over WiFi: it find the server, connects, then shows 'loading' then times out.

neilhoskins 02-10-2008 09:39 AM

I just thought of something. My N95 was code 0547686, but I changed it to Euro 1 to enable me to get one of the firmware updates without waiting six months. Could that be the reason I can never get BBC feeds? Because the BBC think I'm Johnny Foreigner despite being on a UK IP address?

Ratkat 02-10-2008 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilhoskins (Post 393722)
I just thought of something. My N95 was code 0547686, but I changed it to Euro 1 to enable me to get one of the firmware updates without waiting six months. Could that be the reason I can never get BBC feeds? Because the BBC think I'm Johnny Foreigner despite being on a UK IP address?

It is not your phone (I am running it on a N82 with Euro 1 Code), more likely your wifi router.

Have a look through the setting on your router, you may be able to set a static ip for your phone then open up the UDP Ports manually (you can find which ones you need to open in the Realplayer Network Settings) You should be able to google the make of router for instructions on how to do it.

For example http://www.google.co.uk/search?clien...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Super Chimp 02-10-2008 10:38 AM

Ratkat I tried opening the link in the browser on the phone & it came up with an error.

I have been told I need to copy it to the N95 8Gb using the phone in mass storage mode & then find it with the file manager & run it that way.

By the way is their any way to get it to work on the i8510?

Ratkat 02-10-2008 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Chimp (Post 393732)
Ratkat I tried opening the link in the browser on the phone & it came up with an error.

I have been told I need to copy it to the N95 8Gb using the phone in mass storage mode & then find it with the file manager & run it that way.

By the way is their any way to get it to work on the i8510?

Not sure about the i8510, but if it features the .wgz widget support then yes it will work by editing the javascript as described further back in this thread.

If you have V15 firmware or higher on your N95 8GB then copying to mass storage mode & then opening it with the file manager will install it just fine.

billfish 02-10-2008 11:59 AM

What a dissapointment.

No saving programmes to the phone to view later
No access to programmes over 3G

The only place I get reliable WiFi is at home, where I have a 37in TV to watch, so why would I use my 2.6in mobile screen.

The whole point of Iplayer on a mobile (as I see it) is to have "mobile" access to bbc content.

Unregistered 02-10-2008 12:25 PM

Can't get it to work on my N95 v 21.0.0.016. All works fine until real player part then I get "unable to connect to server. Server time-out"

I have set my default access point.

Any ideas?

Super Chimp 02-10-2008 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratkat (Post 393739)
Not sure about the i8510, but if it features the .wgz widget support then yes it will work by editing the javascript as described further back in this thread.

If you have V15 firmware or higher on your N95 8GB then copying to mass storage mode & then opening it with the file manager will install it just fine.

Thanks. I assume I will have to un-install it from my i8510 & then re-install it after editing it on my PC first.

Nexus1974 02-10-2008 01:03 PM

Why is the resolution limited to 320 * 176?

Why did they pick the resolution to be 320 * 176, rather than 320 *240 to make full use of the screen.

I know this gives a more widescreen ratio but I would prefer a slightly cropped version that makes use of the full screen.

I doubt the data rate would be that much greater or you would lose much in quality due to the change in picture size.

Also Nokia should add an option in the Realplayer settings to allow choose access point when the program opens (N95 8GB)

beardyweirdy 02-10-2008 01:23 PM

Using ajck's advice on page 1 on how to edit the app-min.js file I've managed to get it working over 3G (ie removed the wifi only error).

I followed Ajck's method to open up the app-min.js file in notepad on my PC, then did a find and replace ('ctrl & H' in notepad) to find the string:

Quote:

{_state="STATE_NON_WIFI";_self.setState(_state);re turn }
NOTE: you'll need to remove the rogue space in the word 'return', for some reason this forum software inserts it when I post the message.

and replace it with:

Quote:

{_state="STATE_IS_MEDIA_AVAILABLE";return mediaSelector.mtis(_versionPid)}
Then use Ajck's instructions to re-zip the file and install it onto the phone.

You need to have the web browser connection set to either 'Always ask' or your 3G provider and make sure that Realplayer settings for streaming are also pointing to your 3G provider.

Edit: BTW, I should have added that I'm using an N95 8Gb and am with 3 Mobile (UK).

Ratkat 02-10-2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Chimp (Post 393758)
Thanks. I assume I will have to un-install it from my i8510 & then re-install it after editing it on my PC first.

Download it to your PC, edit, then just install over the top (or you can un-install it)

Bagpussawake 02-10-2008 02:35 PM

E90

BeirdyWeirdy just beat me too it, I did exactly the same for my E90 and it streams over 3G, works on the internal screen as well. I haven't had wifi to check that yet also it warned me I didn't have enough bandwidth when I only had GPRS.

I'm well chuffed, I thought the quality on the internal screen was excellent!!!

I've got an E90 on firmware 210.34.75.

btw the user agent to add for the E90 is "nokiae90"

markyc 02-10-2008 03:12 PM

Beardy rules, nice work...but if you copy/paste the line below you get a rogue space in "return", didn't take long to suss though...

"{_state="STATE_NON_WIFI";_self.setState(_state);r eturn }"