All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Series 60 (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   BBC iPlayer for S60 goes live... with caveats (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76404)

Unregistered 04-10-2008 08:43 PM

Works a treat on my N95 over Orange 3G. My N95 is "debranded" and running the latest version 30.0.015 firmware. Its a brilliant app and the quality is great, I just hope the BBC make it work with more handsets without people having to "hack" the software!

blairj70 04-10-2008 09:36 PM

I'm in the same boat as a fair few here, in that I'm getting the wi-fi message, EVEN when I've set wi-fi as the default access point. Now I'm confused as to whether this is a bug, or I'm doing something wrong, as some people seem to have got it sorted. I realise people cant post the edited file, but is it okay for us poor souls who really need help to get it in order to resolve this issue??

WilliamCB 04-10-2008 10:40 PM

Three things for those editing the 1.0 package before installing, eg on an E71, and a query for the moderator.
1. It is possible to move the package to the phone in an unzipped form and open it with the phone's File Manager. I did this from my Mac. This will get you to the iPlayer mobile Home page, but won't show you any programmes - ie it fails.
2. It seems the package has to be "installed" by the phone. To do this, you must ensure the package is zipped before moving it to the phone. Then ensure the suffix is wgz. Then move to the phone. If you then see a package which ends wgz.zip, you should use the File Manager to rename the package so that it ends wgz. Then double click the package and it will install the player in the "Installations" folder that you access from the Menu button. Then double click that icon to run the player. This works.
3. As far as I can see, the iPlayer and Real Player access point settings are independent of each other.
4. I actually would question the moderator's guidance that modified versions of the iPlayer download should not be passed around. Why not? The BBC has not attached any licence conditions to the software and has made it freely available. With the modified software, not advantage is being gained by the modifiers, no attempt is being made to pass off the work as their own, In fact, the intention is only to do what the BBC is enabling other phone users to do, and the BBC is NOT saying anywhere that users of other phones are forbidden to make use of the service. So what is the problem?

lightbulb 05-10-2008 03:18 AM

Does anyone still have iplayer v1 they could upload somewhere, please? Editing the newer 1.5 to allow 3g access didnt work, all programs come up as unavailable

srbuk 05-10-2008 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unbroken (Post 394180)
For those of us too slow/late to come in before 1.5 was released, does anyone have a link to allow 1.0 to still be downloaded ?

If you let me know your email address I can send it to you.

osymoko 05-10-2008 10:20 AM

Glad it works but....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 394189)
Works a treat on my N95 over Orange 3G. My N95 is "debranded" and running the latest version 30.0.015 firmware. Its a brilliant app and the quality is great, I just hope the BBC make it work with more handsets without people having to "hack" the software!

Does that mean it works for downloads as well on 1.5, or just the "play" function?

Has anybody got download working and then playing on N95 , or is it a drm issue

confucious 05-10-2008 10:56 AM

Has anyone got this service running over 3G with T-Mobile UK?

The fact that it gets as far as saying that the program is not available, I am wondering if the problem lies with the real Player settings. Does T require a proxy? What UDP ports need to be open?

If anyone has it working could you please post Real player settings.

Thanks

Unregistered 05-10-2008 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srbuk (Post 394219)

Hi Could you also please send me the Mobile Iplayer V1 as V1.5 isn't working for me Thanks.

sam_r_no1 at hotmail dot com

Unregistered 05-10-2008 03:01 PM

Sorry

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 394273)
Hi Could you also please send me the Mobile Iplayer V1 as V1.5 isn't working for me Thanks.

sam_r_no1 at hotmail dot com

Sorry thats sam_r_no1 at hotmail dot co.uk

I put .com in the last post by accident.

unbroken 05-10-2008 03:37 PM

I give up ! I've been sent a copy of 1.0, pre-hacked for an E71 (you know who you are: thanks !), and even that won't work now - it links thru from the iPlayer app to the Real player, but Real then times out and can't download the content stream.

I've trawled through the 1.5 code and it seems to be rejecting the programme selection because of a problem with the programme id - I don't understand the app well enough to know why this should be a specific problem for the E71.

Perhaps there was a reason after all why the Beeb restricted the application to only three Nokia handsets...

If anyone has good knowledge of javascript and the iPlayer app, and if they've got some spare time, then I'd be delighted if they could work out a hack. Sadly, it'll be too late for my long plane flight this evening...

Best of luck to all.

blairj70 05-10-2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srbuk (Post 394219)

Hi srbuk, I've sent you my email address by private message (I'm not being pushy, just that I never check to see if I've got private message!). Thanks mate!

srbuk 05-10-2008 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unbroken (Post 394284)
I give up ! I've been sent a copy of 1.0, pre-hacked for an E71 (you know who you are: thanks !), and even that won't work now - it links thru from the iPlayer app to the Real player, but Real then times out and can't download the content stream.

I've trawled through the 1.5 code and it seems to be rejecting the programme selection because of a problem with the programme id - I don't understand the app well enough to know why this should be a specific problem for the E71.

Perhaps there was a reason after all why the Beeb restricted the application to only three Nokia handsets...

If anyone has good knowledge of javascript and the iPlayer app, and if they've got some spare time, then I'd be delighted if they could work out a hack. Sadly, it'll be too late for my long plane flight this evening...

Best of luck to all.

Hi, to me it sounds like a problem with either realplayer or maybe the network. I have V1.0 working fine on my E71 over Wi-Fi so it certainly isn't an issue with the E71. Are you trying to connect over Wi-Fi or 3G? Also, I assume you are in the UK!?

nparayo 05-10-2008 09:38 PM

my situation:

N82, only came in on beta 1.5 install worked sent to phone via bloetooth, installed on phone, App opens nothing loads just stuck on home screen no content shows (used wifi).

Then did the change java script to include N82. Installed fine. App loaded fine selected WIFI fine, programmes list comes up selected one but says "need to switch to wifi to play" but i am on WIFI even in real settings its wifi.

Unregistered 05-10-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nparayo (Post 394320)
my situation:

N82, only came in on beta 1.5 install worked sent to phone via bloetooth, installed on phone, App opens nothing loads just stuck on home screen no content shows (used wifi).

Then did the change java script to include N82. Installed fine. App loaded fine selected WIFI fine, programmes list comes up selected one but says "need to switch to wifi to play" but i am on WIFI even in real settings its wifi.

-----

You need to edit the file further. Read the earlier posts around pages 2 to 5. But i wouldn't bother, it still doesnt' work. Even after doing it, it says 'this program is unavailble' on all programs.

Unregistered 05-10-2008 09:55 PM

can anybody email me 1.0 software. 1.5 beta isn't working.

birmingham43 (at) hotmail.com

many thanks in advanced