All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Series 60 (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   BBC iPlayer for S60 goes live... with caveats (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76404)

nparayo 05-10-2008 10:17 PM

can someone upload the unedited v1.0, thats allowed right?

neilhoskins 06-10-2008 08:29 AM

FWIW, I tried the new beta on my N95-1. The downloading gives the reported problems, but the streaming suddenly started working. For the first time I can stream BBC video content, both iPlayer and BBC News. I didn't make any changes to the handset or my router. Could be something my adsl provider has done or something the BBC have done.

Unregistered 06-10-2008 09:49 AM

trying to get connected to 3G ON n96 ?

Hello there there, I hope there isa so0meone out there that can help. after having installed the BBCi application to my n96 all i seem to get is a message saying "please switch to wi-fi to play this programme"
It will not let me me connect to my 3G connection, does anyone know anyway I can get it to connect to my 3G signal ?
Any suggestions would be a great help.
Thanks

m15chief 06-10-2008 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by confucious (Post 394139)
OK. Edited file and inserted e90 (not nokiae90) and it seemed to work but wanted a wifi connection. Then edited again (really easy using 7zip) to fix the wifi problem and it seems to connectover 3.5G OK but every program I try and watch I just get "Sorry, this program is currently unavailable"

Nokia e90, T-Mobile W'n'W Plus.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Same problem here, but I'm using an n95-8GB on Voda so I only had to edit the wi-fi part. I've tried changing access points in real player, but still get the same error every time.

srw985 06-10-2008 08:28 PM

I edited to get it working on i8510 and it worked. Edited further to allow 3G now it wont work at all

0lly18 08-10-2008 07:18 AM

Hey guys, not got access to a pc to use 7zip, could anyone email a fixed wgz file for an e90, tried editing on the phone itself but it doesn't seem to zip it back properly keep getting the "feature not supported error"

Thanks guys oliver.birch@hotmail dot com

Unregistered 08-10-2008 02:55 PM

v1.0

Does anyone have a link for the v1.0 software? Mods on 1.5, using N82 yield error" program unavailable".

Alternatively, if some kind soul can email me the link dannieboy69 @ hotmail.com

Mucho gracius

alexp86 08-10-2008 09:55 PM

Official explanation of why downloads don't work and why N95 isn't supported:

Quote:

Separate to the above "sideloading" proposition, which is available today, our Mobile team is in the final stages of development of a download proposition for Nokia N96 devices that will also allow you to download programmes "over the air" to your Nokia N96 - i.e., to download directly from the BBC iPlayer site to your phone, without needing to download to your PC first.

These Nokia devices support Open Mobile Alliance (OMA) DRM - so, to make BBC iPlayer content available on those devices, we've built an OMA DRM service. Accordingly, we've now added OMA to the list of rights protection technologies supported by the BBC iPlayer, which should allow us to, in due course and where technically feasible, make BBC iPlayer programmes available on a whole new class of mobile phones and other devices that support the OMA content protection standard.

Incidentally, we are not supporting the N95 and a selection of other Symbian devices (despite what you may have read on some blogs) so any use of the widget on these devices would be unauthorised. The N95 plus some other devices do not automatically carry the browser's current network connection settings over to the phone's media player. This means that you could select Wi-Fi on the browser, but unknowingly end up watching streams over 3G connections. If you do this, you could accidentally rack up some pretty huge bills. We will let you know if this situation changes.
-From "BBC Internet Blog"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcintern..._portable.html

Unregistered 09-10-2008 08:24 AM

After doing all the hacks mentioned on an N82...

> Even after doing it, it says 'this program is unavailble' on all programs

I can confirm that's what I'm seeing, too, despite setting everything to WiFi. Is this what we're stuck with, then, until Nokia and / or the BBC sort out DRM issues between them?

dez_borders 09-10-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajck (Post 393582)
To work on other handsets than n95, n96, n78:

Download the iplayer.wgz file...
Alex
phonething.com

Hi Alex (& all!),

Do you know if anyone has iPlayer working on an N82 (with V30 FW) ?
(I know I am in the wrong forum area, but there's nobody to talk to in the N82 one)

I performed your modification, and now have iPlayer installed and successfully displaying the Index of available content.
When I select a video stream and click play-now, RealPlayer is launches but then a message pops up "unable to play video clip".
I have configured RP to permanently use my home Wi-Fi router Access Point.
Is there anything else required? e.g. Changes to Wi-Fi router firewall to allow incoming UDP stream, etc.?
Is there something missing from the N82 V30 FW that's present in N95 V30 FW?

Any help appreciated!

Dez

dez_borders 09-10-2008 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srbuk (Post 394219)
If you let me know your email address I can send it to you.

Hi srbuk,

I sent you my email by PM.

Thanks in advance,

Dez

confucious 09-10-2008 09:28 PM

Still doesn't work on T-Mob (UK) on an E90 with today's firmware :(

caspar_g 10-10-2008 05:04 PM

caspar_g

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 393915)
Dude I had that problem first, i did a number of things to resolve it. I got the feature message thing.

Send me an email on ghazan@gmail.com and Ill send you the updated wgz file which will work fine.

I wondered of you can help

I have followed the instructions to get the iplayer to work on my E71. I now get further but it comes up with the Wifi programmes error.
I want to use Wifi
My Nokia borwser uses my hiomne wifi and works
My realplayer is set to use my home wifi and works - tested using youtube/mobile
I select the same wifi whne starting iplayer
Does anyone have any tips for this

thanks

Caspar

Jkjassal 11-10-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caspar_g (Post 395203)
I wondered of you can help

I have followed the instructions to get the iplayer to work on my E71. I now get further but it comes up with the Wifi programmes error.
I want to use Wifi
My Nokia borwser uses my hiomne wifi and works
My realplayer is set to use my home wifi and works - tested using youtube/mobile
I select the same wifi whne starting iplayer
Does anyone have any tips for this

thanks

Caspar

Hi Casper, did you get a rsolution to the "Switch ti wifi" problem. I am also trying to use home WLAN which Nokia browser uses and even heard some BBC Radio via "Real Player". However whenever I open IPlayer on E71 (its an O2 network handet), I get the message to switch to WiFi. Only option seems to be to EXIT. Any advice will be appreciated. The WGZ file I used was the one I created following advice in this forum to include the e71 in the supported phones string and copied to phone using Nokia PC Suite.

JJ

Unregistered 12-10-2008 12:06 PM

E71 version 1.0 and 1.5

Right,
i have done some testing and these are MY results

with version 1.0 if you edit the allowed devices and add e71 to it . it will work over wifi. it will not work over 3g

With versions 1.5 beta you need to make two changes first add the e71 to the list of devices as in version 1.0

second you need to allow 3g connections this is described inpages 2-5 of this thread.

if you only do the fist edit you get the wifi error message, even though you may be trying to access it through wifi.

if you make the second edit you get a new messge saying the programme is unavailable.

this is as far as i have got... I have seen vido showing iplayer working on an e71 reportedly over a 3 connection, is this correct? as anyone actually got the ilaye version 1,5 working over 3g on an E71?