All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Series 60 (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   BBC iPlayer for S60 goes live... with caveats (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76404)

Super Chimp 01-10-2008 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratkat (Post 393641)
What firmware do you have on your N95 8GB? if memory serves me correct you need firmware v15.0.015 or greater for .wgz widget support

The very latest V30.

PC suite sends it to the phone & that's it nothing else happens, the phone doesn't ask you to install anything & their is no sign of it on the phone.

Ratkat 01-10-2008 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Chimp (Post 393645)
The very latest V30.

PC suite sends it to the phone & that's it nothing else happens, the phone doesn't ask you to install anything & their is no sign of it on the phone.

Can you send via bluetooth to your phone? and install directly on the phone

or

Open this link on your phone to install direct

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/iplayer/iplayer.wgz

Berty 02-10-2008 06:21 AM

RE: E71: I added the ammended file to my phone using PC Suite, and then installed it froma file called Widgets, inside a file called DATA on me phones memory.

Shame you can't save files for viewing later, or scroll with Real Player!

Had one major freeze 12 minutes into a 45 minute program, had to remove the battery and start again. Hope this deosn't happen all the time.

I suspect new releases will come out as time goes by.

slitchfield 02-10-2008 06:30 AM

"How can I install the .wgz file on my N82? If I run it, it just opens the ZIP manager."

Are you sure you've got the latest v30 firmware?

Ratkat 02-10-2008 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slitchfield (Post 393665)
"How can I install the .wgz file on my N82? If I run it, it just opens the ZIP manager."

Are you sure you've got the latest v30 firmware?

You only need the V20 firmware on the N82 to install .wgz widgets.

@Berty - to fast forward/rewind in Realplayer, press up or down on the Navi Button/D-Pad.

willharris24 02-10-2008 09:09 AM

N82

it now works - thanks..

i had a few problems in getting it to chose a wifi connection and not a 3g connection, but what is really strange is that while you can only run the application on wifi, when you actually start streaming the video using realplayer it starts a 3g connection and then streams over that (i know this is the case as my connection manager says i've used 3MB watching under a minute of video)

what is going on?

Will

Ratkat 02-10-2008 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willharris24 (Post 393710)

it now works - thanks..

i had a few problems in getting it to chose a wifi connection and not a 3g connection, but what is really strange is that while you can only run the application on wifi, when you actually start streaming the video using realplayer it starts a 3g connection and then streams over that (i know this is the case as my connection manager says i've used 3MB watching under a minute of video)

what is going on?

Will

Goto Tools/Settings/Applications/Realplayer/Streaming/Network/ then set default access point to your WiFi

neilhoskins 02-10-2008 09:35 AM

Doesn't work. First of all, you have to go into the guts of the system to set the bloody access point for RealPlayer (AAAAAARRRGGGGHHH!!!!!!). Then I just get the usual thing that I get with all the BBC Realplayer feeds over WiFi: it find the server, connects, then shows 'loading' then times out.

neilhoskins 02-10-2008 09:39 AM

I just thought of something. My N95 was code 0547686, but I changed it to Euro 1 to enable me to get one of the firmware updates without waiting six months. Could that be the reason I can never get BBC feeds? Because the BBC think I'm Johnny Foreigner despite being on a UK IP address?

Ratkat 02-10-2008 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilhoskins (Post 393722)
I just thought of something. My N95 was code 0547686, but I changed it to Euro 1 to enable me to get one of the firmware updates without waiting six months. Could that be the reason I can never get BBC feeds? Because the BBC think I'm Johnny Foreigner despite being on a UK IP address?

It is not your phone (I am running it on a N82 with Euro 1 Code), more likely your wifi router.

Have a look through the setting on your router, you may be able to set a static ip for your phone then open up the UDP Ports manually (you can find which ones you need to open in the Realplayer Network Settings) You should be able to google the make of router for instructions on how to do it.

For example http://www.google.co.uk/search?clien...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Super Chimp 02-10-2008 10:38 AM

Ratkat I tried opening the link in the browser on the phone & it came up with an error.

I have been told I need to copy it to the N95 8Gb using the phone in mass storage mode & then find it with the file manager & run it that way.

By the way is their any way to get it to work on the i8510?

Ratkat 02-10-2008 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Chimp (Post 393732)
Ratkat I tried opening the link in the browser on the phone & it came up with an error.

I have been told I need to copy it to the N95 8Gb using the phone in mass storage mode & then find it with the file manager & run it that way.

By the way is their any way to get it to work on the i8510?

Not sure about the i8510, but if it features the .wgz widget support then yes it will work by editing the javascript as described further back in this thread.

If you have V15 firmware or higher on your N95 8GB then copying to mass storage mode & then opening it with the file manager will install it just fine.

billfish 02-10-2008 11:59 AM

What a dissapointment.

No saving programmes to the phone to view later
No access to programmes over 3G

The only place I get reliable WiFi is at home, where I have a 37in TV to watch, so why would I use my 2.6in mobile screen.

The whole point of Iplayer on a mobile (as I see it) is to have "mobile" access to bbc content.

Unregistered 02-10-2008 12:25 PM

Can't get it to work on my N95 v 21.0.0.016. All works fine until real player part then I get "unable to connect to server. Server time-out"

I have set my default access point.

Any ideas?

Super Chimp 02-10-2008 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratkat (Post 393739)
Not sure about the i8510, but if it features the .wgz widget support then yes it will work by editing the javascript as described further back in this thread.

If you have V15 firmware or higher on your N95 8GB then copying to mass storage mode & then opening it with the file manager will install it just fine.

Thanks. I assume I will have to un-install it from my i8510 & then re-install it after editing it on my PC first.

Nexus1974 02-10-2008 01:03 PM

Why is the resolution limited to 320 * 176?

Why did they pick the resolution to be 320 * 176, rather than 320 *240 to make full use of the screen.

I know this gives a more widescreen ratio but I would prefer a slightly cropped version that makes use of the full screen.

I doubt the data rate would be that much greater or you would lose much in quality due to the change in picture size.

Also Nokia should add an option in the Realplayer settings to allow choose access point when the program opens (N95 8GB)

beardyweirdy 02-10-2008 01:23 PM

Using ajck's advice on page 1 on how to edit the app-min.js file I've managed to get it working over 3G (ie removed the wifi only error).

I followed Ajck's method to open up the app-min.js file in notepad on my PC, then did a find and replace ('ctrl & H' in notepad) to find the string:

Quote:

{_state="STATE_NON_WIFI";_self.setState(_state);re turn }
NOTE: you'll need to remove the rogue space in the word 'return', for some reason this forum software inserts it when I post the message.

and replace it with:

Quote:

{_state="STATE_IS_MEDIA_AVAILABLE";return mediaSelector.mtis(_versionPid)}
Then use Ajck's instructions to re-zip the file and install it onto the phone.

You need to have the web browser connection set to either 'Always ask' or your 3G provider and make sure that Realplayer settings for streaming are also pointing to your 3G provider.

Edit: BTW, I should have added that I'm using an N95 8Gb and am with 3 Mobile (UK).

Ratkat 02-10-2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Chimp (Post 393758)
Thanks. I assume I will have to un-install it from my i8510 & then re-install it after editing it on my PC first.

Download it to your PC, edit, then just install over the top (or you can un-install it)

Bagpussawake 02-10-2008 02:35 PM

E90

BeirdyWeirdy just beat me too it, I did exactly the same for my E90 and it streams over 3G, works on the internal screen as well. I haven't had wifi to check that yet also it warned me I didn't have enough bandwidth when I only had GPRS.

I'm well chuffed, I thought the quality on the internal screen was excellent!!!

I've got an E90 on firmware 210.34.75.

btw the user agent to add for the E90 is "nokiae90"

markyc 02-10-2008 03:12 PM

Beardy rules, nice work...but if you copy/paste the line below you get a rogue space in "return", didn't take long to suss though...

"{_state="STATE_NON_WIFI";_self.setState(_state);r eturn }"

JonWill 02-10-2008 03:26 PM

E71

Have followed the instructions above and can't make it work on my E71 - before editting the .js file I could open iplayer, just not stream anything. After editing it, when I click on the wgz file I get "Unable to install: feature not supported." Any thoughts?

J

beardyweirdy 02-10-2008 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markyc (Post 393778)
Beardy rules, nice work...but if you copy/paste the line below you get a rogue space in "return", didn't take long to suss though...

"{_state="STATE_NON_WIFI";_self.setState(_state);r eturn }"

Thanks for spotting that Markyc - the rogue space between 're' and 'turn' isn't there in my post as I typed it, I think it must be an error with the forum software. I've tried to edit my post to fix it, but the error isn't there in the editor, just in the final post.

neilhoskins 02-10-2008 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratkat (Post 393727)
It is not your phone (I am running it on a N82 with Euro 1 Code), more likely your wifi router.

Thanks, but I've tried everything with the router, including putting the phone in the DMZ. Just won't have anything to do with it. RTSP streams in Gallery work fine, but I've never managed to get streaming video from any BBC website.

riverboat 02-10-2008 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billfish (Post 393747)
What a dissapointment.

No saving programmes to the phone to view later
No access to programmes over 3G

The only place I get reliable WiFi is at home, where I have a 37in TV to watch, so why would I use my 2.6in mobile screen.

The whole point of Iplayer on a mobile (as I see it) is to have "mobile" access to bbc content.

100% agreement there, whats the point:frown:

ceanth 02-10-2008 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagpussawake (Post 393770)
BeirdyWeirdy just beat me too it, I did exactly the same for my E90 and it streams over 3G, works on the internal screen as well. I haven't had wifi to check that yet also it warned me I didn't have enough bandwidth when I only had GPRS.

I'm well chuffed, I thought the quality on the internal screen was excellent!!!

I've got an E90 on firmware 210.34.75.

btw the user agent to add for the E90 is "nokiae90"

Hi mate, i have an E90 with same firmware but i cannot install this. Pcsuite doesnt let me install, and after modding the file i get the "unable to install, feature not supported"

How exactly did you get this app working on your E90?

singhfx 02-10-2008 09:16 PM

i know the answer....

Unregistered 02-10-2008 10:06 PM

works on N95

up and running on N95 black 8 gb on three. vesion 21 firmware.

Put the phone in data transfer mode. Transfer the .wgz file into any folder via USB. Disconnect phone. Open the .wgz file via filemanager on the phone. Job done. The iplayer installs itself in the applications folders

Unregistered 02-10-2008 11:19 PM

i got that error first

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonWill (Post 393779)
Have followed the instructions above and can't make it work on my E71 - before editting the .js file I could open iplayer, just not stream anything. After editing it, when I click on the wgz file I get "Unable to install: feature not supported." Any thoughts?

J

Dude I had that problem first, i did a number of things to resolve it. I got the feature message thing.

Send me an email on ghazan@gmail.com and Ill send you the updated wgz file which will work fine.

Unregistered 02-10-2008 11:25 PM

actually it didnt work for me

[quote=beardyweirdy;393764]Using ajck's advice on page 1 on how to edit the app-min.js file I've managed to get it working over 3G (ie removed the wifi only error).

I followed Ajck's method to open up the app-min.js file in notepad on my PC, then did a find and replace ('ctrl & H' in notepad) to find the string:

Beardy, I followed all instructions. The application installs fine after replacing the string you mention, but I still get the 'tv prgs only over wifi' error when trying to watch over 3g. Would be grateful if you could email me the finished file on ghazan"at"gmail.com

Im also on 3 have v21 N95 black.

beardyweirdy 03-10-2008 06:58 AM

@ghazan - check your email, I've sent you a copy of the wgz file I used. Hope it works OK for you too.

TomJ 03-10-2008 07:37 AM

Gah, it's TV only! I want to acces the radio player more, given that the iPlayer site is much less phone friendly than the old Listen Again site (which had issues of its onw...)

Chris V 03-10-2008 09:21 AM

N95 8GB on Three

Hi BeardyWierdy

I was hoping you could send me with the wgz file, as I'm on Three UK.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Regards
Chris

Chris V 03-10-2008 09:24 AM

Sorry for being an utter dimwit BeardyWierdy.

Forgot to state my email address.

It's garag3@gmail.com

unregistered 03-10-2008 11:29 AM

E71 - Getting it to work...

The above instructions to get iPlayer working on an E71 worked for me once I added 'e71' instead of 'E71'

Ant @ freshplastic.vox.com

Coatezy 03-10-2008 12:08 PM

Samsung I8510

Any way of adding the samsung i8510 to the .js file?? I have had a look but dont think its possible?? Get the following error message

Device: user agent not recognisedmozilla/5.0(symbian/9.3; u; series60/3.2samsung/i8510/xxhh7; profile/midp-2.1 configuration/cldc-1.

Any idea's? :)

Coatezy 03-10-2008 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coatezy (Post 394022)
Any way of adding the samsung i8510 to the .js file?? I have had a look but dont think its possible?? Get the following error message

Device: user agent not recognisedmozilla/5.0(symbian/9.3; u; series60/3.2samsung/i8510/xxhh7; profile/midp-2.1 configuration/cldc-1.

Any idea's? :)

Ahh i see someone has already managed to do it.. Hmmm will have to look a bit further in to it.. I added I8510 to the list and that did not work..

Bagpussawake 03-10-2008 12:42 PM

E90

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceanth (Post 393866)
Hi mate, i have an E90 with same firmware but i cannot install this. Pcsuite doesnt let me install, and after modding the file i get the "unable to install, feature not supported"

How exactly did you get this app working on your E90?

Hi Ceanth,

I used 7-zip to open the iplayer.wgz file (without extracting it). Still in 7-zip I browsed to :iplayer.wgz\iplayer\js\app-min.js, right clicked and chose Edit.

The file opened in notepad, I checked word wrap was off and then searched for "n95".

The second hit was "(iphone|ipod)/,"nokia-s60-webkit-family":/(n95|n96|n78)/}" so I added "|nokiae90" to the list to make:

(iphone|ipod)/,"nokia-s60-webkit-family":/(n95|n96|n78|nokiae90)/}

I then did the edit BeardyWeirdy details to enable 3g operation. Clicked File=>Save. Then when exiting notepad 7-zip asks if you want to update the file in the archive, I said yes and then exited the 7-zip explorer window.

To install, I removed a previous (unsuccessful :-() instal and then copied the iplayer.wgz file to my phone's memory card.
Then used File Manager on the phone to browse to the iplayer.wgz and ran it.

That worked for me although my better half wasn't too impressed with me watching telly on my phone in bed last night ;-p

JonWill 03-10-2008 12:52 PM

Thanks to the 2 "unregistred"s who offered help on the E71 - use a lowercase "e" in the hack and it works!

Thanks, all.

Coatezy 03-10-2008 12:55 PM

now working

I have now tried adding i8510 instead of I8510 and is working perfectly!

Cheers

Unregistered 03-10-2008 03:09 PM

Neil

Thanks for the info on how to get BBC iplayer working on my N82, however, an update has become available today (1.50) and when I overwrote the BBC iplayer files my phone is not recognised again. Is there a PC link for the new version so that I can adjust the .js file for my phone?