All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Symbian OS News (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The BBC now streaming live mobile TV (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83294)

slitchfield 03-04-2009 08:44 AM

The BBC now streaming live mobile TV

Possibly only for UK residents (comments welcome below), the BBC has now started streaming live TV for compatible handsets (currently the Nokia 5800 only? - N96 owners, please chip in here) at mobile resolutions, 24 hours a day. The quality's currently not brilliant, seemingly a frame size of 176 by 144 pixels, though RealPlayer on a S60 phones will sample this up to fit, of course. But - it is TV, it is the real deal and you get the full range of BBC channels. including those normally only available via Freeview or cable/Sky. Screenshot proof, link and tips below.

Read on in the full article.

neilhoskins 03-04-2009 09:07 AM

It makes me wonder if protesting loudly to the BBC does actually have an effect. I've been giving them loads of stick on forums and feedback forms recently about dropping iPlayer downloads from the 5800. When Cellan-Jones squeezed yet another blog entry about the iPhone out of a trivial Apple press release the other day, I'd really had enough, and so had a lot of other people, judging from the number of people who let fly in the comments. So now they seem to be redressing the balance towards the increasing numbers of 5800 owners out there; good on 'em!

Unregistered 03-04-2009 09:14 AM

dam one time i have new news and i cant log in, i had to post as unregistered. so no cudos :0(

Unregistered 03-04-2009 09:16 AM

Better than the iPhone (imho)

I've been working hard to convinced the wife that overall, her new 5800 is far better than the iPhone even though it's cheaper (her nephew dropped the iPhone in the fish tank a few months back).

With the BBC now making an effort to nake it's services available to non iPhone users I think it's finally sinking in (even allowing for iPhone 3.0 software). If they carry on like this, I might even look forward to paying my TV license (sorry, I take that back).

By the way, now I've switched to a pay as you go contract I've been using Fring to make MSN calles to her over 3G instead of paying for minutes (Just 5 a month on 3). Quality can be patchy sometimes, but when reception is good it is excellent.

Very happy with the 5800. So much so, that I'm starting to wonder if it is worth hanging around for my next phone purchase (currently using N82). I was thinking N97/Omnia HD/Toshiba TG01(I love 800 x 480, WinMo 6.5 looks ok but no flash on camera...), but I'm starting to question whether (for me) it's actually worth the wait or extra money.

If they could just put a few more free apps out there for the 5800 and some nice games I think I be sold. Though the camera could be better. Improvements in next firmware ?

Zuber

samwarnaars 03-04-2009 09:23 AM

Just for your information,

the BBC video/radio is blocked for foreigners, and can't be accessed from a foreign phone (The Netherlands in my case).

Bosambo 03-04-2009 09:24 AM

Impending feeling of abandonement...

As the rest of the world decided the iPhone was the best thing EVAR over a year ago, I thought "well at least I have All About Symbian" it wasn't about the phone, it was about the platform. Then the BBC also decided to slight the people who were using the most used mobile OS and go for the fashion favourite iPhone...luckily everyone here was joined in unity over the unfairness of it.

Now I see us fractured and people who own the 5800 engaging in the sort of "me, me, me" attitude of the iPhone owners who grew tired of other mobile platforms users complaints. Is there a real reason to block people who own other S60 phones? Does AAS not think this is wrong? Half the front page stories are dedicated to a single handset. Time for a name change, All About 5800.

deebr 03-04-2009 09:40 AM

Works very nicely on the N96.

slitchfield 03-04-2009 09:46 AM

>>Now I see us fractured and people who own the 5800 engaging in the sort of "me, me, me" attitude of the iPhone owners who grew tired of other mobile platforms users complaints. Is there a real reason to block people who own other S60 phones? Does AAS not think this is wrong? Half the front page stories are dedicated to a single handset. Time for a name change, All About 5800.

You're doing us an injustice, I think. We simply report new developments in the industry. It's just that S60 5th Edition and its new capabilities (e.g. the N96-like RealPlayer integration and DRM needed here) are the focus of much of the effort from the ecosystem. Where possible, everything's also applied to 3rd Edition phones. I have various N95s and an N82 here and I try everything new that comes out on these as well. But if something only works on the N96 and 5800 (and the imminent N97), we have to simply report it as such.

In short, no-one's being 'blocked', it's just the focus of newsworthy stories tends to shift as times goes on.... though I'm as keen as the next person to see new apps for the 'classic' S60 phones - the E90, the N95 and N82.

Bosambo 03-04-2009 09:54 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying AAS is doing the blocking...it just seems the BBC artificially gimps things to keep as few people as possible in the loop for no good reason, I'm just saying such questions should be put to them and some justification sought on behalf of the rest of us by those of you in the media who have access.

Unregistered 03-04-2009 10:11 AM

I just assumed is was in some way related to DRM stuff and that older phones did not have the pre-requisite bits installed. Hence, BBC not allowing download until Nokia 'fixed' the 5800 with v20 firmware.

Anyone able to confirm/deny if this is correct ?

Zuber

Bosambo 03-04-2009 10:41 AM

That might be the case in terms of downloaded video...but I can't see the justification when it comes to streaming, either catch-up or live. Surely the only issue there is blocking outside the UK. Apart from that, every TV licence paying member of the public should have access.

neilhoskins 03-04-2009 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosambo (Post 415820)
Time for a name change, All About 5800.

I think that's rather unfair. AAS also get accused of being Nokia-centric, and yet they're obviously quite excited by the new Samsung Omnia HD. I think your perception is simply due to there being a real buzz around the 5800 at the moment; and come on, full iPlayer functionality and live TV is pretty significant news, in the UK at any rate. (But it probably won't be reported by the BBC, who will keep blathering on about iPhones.)

Unregistered 03-04-2009 10:50 AM

I think this has been working (at least in beta mode) for a while - I got my 5800 a couple of weeks ago and noticed then that you could stream live BBC stuff

neilhoskins 03-04-2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosambo (Post 415833)
That might be the case in terms of downloaded video...but I can't see the justification when it comes to streaming, either catch-up or live. Surely the only issue there is blocking outside the UK. Apart from that, every TV licence paying member of the public should have access.

The reason given for that was that they didn't want to get sued by some numpty who had run up a huge bill for 3G data. Or have to keep fending-off enquiries from people who didn't know you have to set the AP separately for RealPlayer. As the access point handling on pre-FP2 devices is clearly a pile of pants, I actually have some sympathy with that point of view, despite being one of the disappointed, 'penalised' N95 owners.

neilhoskins 03-04-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samwarnaars (Post 415819)
Just for your information,

the BBC video/radio is blocked for foreigners, and can't be accessed from a foreign phone (The Netherlands in my case).

"To be born British is to win the lottery of life."

(Kipling?)