All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nokia Nseries S60 3.2 Phones (Nokia N78, N79, N85, N86 and N96) (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Unable to get licence - iPlayer on N96 (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81583)

dhevans_6 20-01-2009 08:55 PM

Unable to get licence - iPlayer on N96

I've finally parted from my old N80 and got my N96 this morning.

So far so good, until I tried to download a program using iPlayer.
I can download the program fine, but when I come to play it I get a screen saying Registration content with provider required.

I hit Register, and get the error message "Unable to get licence".

I've tried both my WLAN and the O2 packet connection, and I've upgraded the iPlayer as it prompted me when I first started it up.

The phone's on 12.043 firmware.

Apologies for hopefully a simple question, but haven't really played with iPlayer on the PC let alone on the phone!

Dansri 21-01-2009 11:39 AM

hmmmmm maybe try doing a firmware update (although your on the upto date one it may make a difference)....

or re-install it from the "download" option again....

dhevans_6 21-01-2009 09:46 PM

I did do both I think - the firmware update was the first thing I did after getting the phone (it was on v11 something beforehand) and iPlayer prompted me to upgrade when I first started it?

What could be the problem - on the phone or the iPlayer application itself?

Rafe 21-01-2009 10:58 PM

You might want to try downloading the video again - or is this happening on every download?

This is the DRM not working somewhere. It might be worth installing iPlayer again if the above is not working... though honestly I can't see that making a difference.

dhevans_6 22-01-2009 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafe (Post 408495)
You might want to try downloading the video again - or is this happening on every download?

This is the DRM not working somewhere. It might be worth installing iPlayer again if the above is not working... though honestly I can't see that making a difference.

Yes it's on every download, I've tried two different programs.
Just noticed the licence application and it the program is listed in the invalid licences list - I get the same problem if I attempt to get a licence.

It basically takes me to a blank web screen with a dialog saying registration with content provider required. I hit register and it says 'Unable to get licence'.

I've uninstalled iPlayer and re-installed too...

robnotbob 01-04-2009 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhevans_6 (Post 408535)
Yes it's on every download, I've tried two different programs.
Just noticed the licence application and it the program is listed in the invalid licences list - I get the same problem if I attempt to get a licence.

It basically takes me to a blank web screen with a dialog saying registration with content provider required. I hit register and it says 'Unable to get licence'.

I've uninstalled iPlayer and re-installed too...

Hi dhevans

I am having this exact same problem. Did you ever resolve it or did you give up trying? !!
I have a feeling it is something to do with o2 as anyone else that I have come across with this problem is also on o2. I have tried contacting the BBC, at first they seemed interested in the problem and asked for full details, heard nothing from them since. Also tried tho o2 forums, what a waste of time that is, o2 are only interested in the iphone!!

If anyone else has a solution im all ears!!!!!

Thanks
Rob

ffcphone 01-04-2009 08:34 AM

If I recall correctly always had that problem on my old N95. Can't remember whether I've retried it now I've got an N85 but for me the download speeds from the iPlayer were so slow I couldn't be arsed waiting for anything to download.

A workaround (and quicker) method might be as follows:-

Using your PC, download the MOBILE version of the iPlayer content you want. Save it to your PC somewhere. Connect your N96 to your PC via USB but you MUST select MEDIA TRANSFER mode NOT PC Suite mode. Then copy your file from your PC over to your N96. The DRM licence should copy across with it plus you get to download much quicker via your PC anyway.

F

car_guy143 01-04-2009 03:28 PM

I have the same problem downloading licenses using Wifi. I am on Talktalk home broadband, and the phone is on the Orange UK mobile network. I can download licenses just fine using the Orange Internet connection, but never via Wifi which is odd.

ffcphone 01-04-2009 04:25 PM

I've just downloaded an 11.5MB CBBC file (smallest I could find) directly onto my N85 via our 8Mbps wireless ADSL connection. It took around 7 minutes. Can we thus deduce the bandwidth available for mobile iPlayer downloads is much smaller than for PC downloads?

Anyways, video downloaded fine and played fine. No DRM issue at all. And I checked to make sure there was a DRM key provided (in case CBBC was rights free) and the "key" symbol does appear in the gallery.

F

dez_borders 01-04-2009 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhevans_6 (Post 408334)
So far so good, until I tried to download a program using iPlayer.
I can download the program fine, but when I come to play it I get a screen saying Registration content with provider required.

I hit Register, and get the error message "Unable to get licence".

I've tried both my WLAN and the O2 packet connection, and I've upgraded the iPlayer as it prompted me when I first started it up.

The phone's on 12.043 firmware.

Apologies for hopefully a simple question, but haven't really played with iPlayer on the PC let alone on the phone!

I just checked and my iPlayer is still working OK on V12.043 firmware. My product code is 0573063 UK CV Dark Grey.

One thing I have done is set RealPlayer to always use my Wireless Router as the default connection.
iPlayer uses RealPlayer to stream a selected program, and in my experience the connection fails unless RP is set to use an available (Wi-Fi preferred) connection.

Hope this helps.

john.med 05-05-2009 08:13 PM

I'm having this very same problem. I've tried re-installing iplayer and downloading about ten different programmes, none of which will unlock. I've debranded with the same code as posted above, re-formatted the mass memory and hard reset numerous times, set the default wifi connections and I'm using the latest firmware too.

Surely there's a way round this problem? I've even emailed the Beeb, who are 'looking into the problem'...

And how do you find MOBILE downloads on iPlayer? Can't see any in mobile format?

(First post, so be kind)

Thanks, John

ffcphone 05-05-2009 09:30 PM

Workaround solution for the DRM issues you are having:

Using your PC, access the iPlayer website, select the programme you want to download. I've chosen http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...s_2_Episode_3/ as an example.
At bottom right hand side, you'll see "download" and "more downloads" options. Click "more downloads". Select "portable devices". Windows Media Player will then acquire the licence and offer you the opportunity of downloading and saving to your local hard drive a mobile-enhanced WMV file. Save to hard drive.

Connect your Nseries Nokia device in Media Transfer mode NOT PC Suite mode. Simply copy over the WMV file and hey presto.

F

john.med 05-05-2009 09:45 PM

Thanks for the help mate. Seems I was using chrome rather than ie and it didn't offer the same d/l options. I've just d/l'd that mobile version and am going to paste it over now...

john.med 05-05-2009 09:51 PM

It works!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the walk thru.

Wonder why sideloading works and the mobile iplayer download on the n96 won't work?!

ffcphone 06-05-2009 08:42 AM

Glad all is now well. Note to others: use Internet Explorer to access iPlayer site as other browsers may not offer the full download options.

Dunno why downloading straight to your N96 doesn't work. Downloading straight to my N85 DOES though albeit very slow.

F