All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nokia Nseries S60 5.0 phones (Nokia N97 and Nokia N97 mini) (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   I've sent off for one of those recycling envelopes (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94174)

spirit44 25-04-2010 08:17 AM

I sold mine on ebay, but when I got the n97 I sent my n95 to mazuma, it had chunks missing from all the times I had dropped it! But they paid up no prob. As long as it works there won't be an issue.

As for the loudspeakers, the sound is definitely better on the n97 with its stereo sound. But I do find that the desire is louder when making calls over speakerphone. Although the sound is more tinny.

But in my opinion both are rubbish, these new thin phones have useless speakers, to look cool and no doubt sell as many Bluetooth headsets as possible. Sorry, very cynical.....

BanziBarn 25-04-2010 09:40 AM

The speaker isn't great, but I got one of these which is one of the best gadgets I've had! It's sounds amazing, perfect for going on holiday or using in the bathroom.

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/9623066/X-Mi-X-Mini-II-2nd-Generation-Capsule-iPod-MP3-Speaker/Product.html?&_$ja=tsid:11518|cc:|prd:9623066|cat: MP3+Speakers

RE: recycle, my N97 was in perfect condition but as has been said, I don't think it matters too much.

knh4, I'm being super paranoid about scratching the screen too! I ordered some screen protectors last Sunday from Ebay but they've not arrived yet.... hope they arrive soon.

nottmbantam, the N95 will serve you perfectly until you decide what to get :)

nottmbantam 25-04-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjdean (Post 464229)
Those of you who did recycle your phones, how cosmetically damaged were your phones? About the only problem with my N97 is the the paint flecks coming off around the rims and a few minor scratches.

The thing has held up well considering the amount of times I've dropped it on the floor.

I too am tempted either for the Desire or NexusOne, but the thing that's putting me off at the moment is at least the lack of onboard memory and the mono speaker on the back.

What's the sound quality like through the built in speaker compared to the N97?

That's the one thing that prevents me from selling the N97 - the cosmetic damage. I put a screen protector on from Day One, so that is in perfect condition, but the chrome surround around the keyboard looks really tatty, and I'm disapopinted with that. Selling it like that will reduce the price, but I reckon I should be able to sell it for around 150 quite easily, max price up to around 170.

The N95's chrome buttons ( volume rocker, camera shutter ) are similarly worn away, but that phone is three years old! It is just a solid device and having used it ( again) for the last two days, I'm now wondering why I splashed out all the dinero on the N97 in the first place? A costly error of judgement I think...

Was thinking today re the surge of Android phones, there certainly seems to be a groundswell in terms of more and more manufacturers turning their attentions to Android, and Nokia are going to have to come up with something VERY special in the N8 ( or whatever the latest will be ) to get phone users abck into the Symbian market again. The Desire seems to be very popular at the moment, and could be a very good rival for the iPhone. THe new iPhone is rumoured to use a micro sim card, which I think might work against it?

sjdean 25-04-2010 02:15 PM

Im just glad I didn't jump ship to the N900.... Sports Tracker isn't there, Google Maps isn't supported, no facebook widget! Shouldn't have told a friend "that's a cracking phone that is, I would have gone with that one..."

sjdean 27-04-2010 08:18 PM

For those that have made the switch to HTC Desire or Google NexusOne, video recording... how long can you record for? The N97 allows upto 1hr 30m in one go. The Android suggests 30m maximum.

beardyweirdy 28-04-2010 12:26 AM

Well, I'm another N97 owner who's made the decision to jump ship to the HTC Desire. I've tried really hard to like my N97 and there are lots of good things in its favour: 32Gb expandable storage, the cool angled keyboard, familiarity (I arrived at the N97 via I suspect a reasonably common route of 6630 > N80 > N95 > N95 8GB) etc. But it just doesn't work as it should.

I've had enough of the constant battles with C: drive space; the all too regular freezing and battery pulls; the massive lags when opening applications - sometimes never actually opening at all.

The whole experience isn't a pleasant one. In theory I've got all this technology in my pocket that can do so many things, but in reality I can never rely on it to do them. For example the potentially great Nokia Maps app (which I would be a big fan of) takes so long to get going and is so willing to crash and shut down that I don't bother using it on the occasions that I'd really like to.

Even with the early problems there seemed like promise with apps like the Photo Browser, but nothing much more seemed to come from Nokia, and in reality whilst this software is quite nice, the phone just isn't powerful enough to run it properly. With a decent sized library of pics you end up with huge delays for any image at all and then get something so pixelated it's unrecognisable for another age. Want to MMS it to someone? Jab away at the screen trying to get the menu to come up and bounce back and forth between different views instead.

Whatever task I want to do, even if the phone does manage to perform it well, I never have confidence that it will and so I often don't bother. I feel strangely sad and guilty that I'm giving up on Nokia and Symbian for now - I did have a strong brand loyalty and have been an advocate and defender for a long time, but I've just reached the limit of my patience with what's meant to be a premium product. It's rather telling that the phone recycling companies are actually offering more for a N97 Mini than for an N97. Even more telling is that the N95 8GB fetches almost as much.

I'm sure the Desire won't be perfect and will have it's limits and frustrations too, but from everything I've read at least it seems like it belongs in 2010 and does what it says it will.

BanziBarn 28-04-2010 07:15 AM

I had my first freeze today resulting in having to take the battery off... so the phone isn't perfect! Still loving it though :-)

Some may be interested, but I was reading about what might be included in the next firmware update and a lot of people think that the phone has FM transmitter abilities that just needs enabling by software. HD video capture may also be on the cards, after all, the camera has enough resolution......

nottmbantam 28-04-2010 08:32 AM

Well- another one bites the dust. Sold my N97 yesterday and got around 200 for it which is less than half of what I paid less than 10 months ago. Interestingly enough, one of the maim phone shops is selling the N97 for exactly half the price it was on first release.

So I went back to using my N95 for a few days and just loved it. The one I perhaps missed most was the qwerty keyboard and the FM Transmitter. After lookimg seriously at the Desire, I decided against spending another 450 on a fancy handset. Those of who read my posts will know I'm based abroad so there is no point buying a monthly UK contract phone and I also need an unlocked handset as I change sim cards depending on where I am!

What the ideal phone for right now would be something akin to the N95 but with a keyboard, so I've kinda gone sideways and made the move to the E Series and just bought an E72 - in fact I'm typing this post on it as we 'speak'. Paid about 250 for the E72 whish is a bit cheaper than i the UK.

I do think though that Android is the way forward for the next few years, if there was a handset that offers all the features of the N97 then I would be interested, but right now, I just a basic handset with some stability and speed which can offer me a solid keyboard, decent camera, 3G and of course wi fi. The Blackberry's out there seem to be lacking in the camera department, plus there is something about them that I just don't like, don't know what, but just don't interest me.

I'm not bashing the N97 or the Desire,I just think for now, I've got a phone that suits my needs and my budget!

BanziBarn 28-04-2010 09:04 AM

Glad you've got something sorted now! Sounds like you've made a good call :icon14:

riverboat 28-04-2010 11:53 PM

I just bought an HTC Desire too. Off ebay from a local seller, paid 340 for it with 30 of calls included.

Banzi, or any of you guys that have already jumped ship, can you point me to any sites like this for the Desire.

Ps, i will keep popping back to check out the reviews of the N8 'cause it does look really nice with that 12mp camera, but i want to see how it runs before i part with my cash on a Nokia again.

BanziBarn 29-04-2010 05:41 PM

Here you go

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/

nottmbantam 29-04-2010 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverboat (Post 464693)
I just bought an HTC Desire too. Off ebay from a local seller, paid 340 for it with 30 of calls included.

Banzi, or any of you guys that have already jumped ship, can you point me to any sites like this for the Desire.

Ps, i will keep popping back to check out the reviews of the N8 'cause it does look really nice with that 12mp camera, but i want to see how it runs before i part with my cash on a Nokia again.

Yes, I was also interested in the N8, 12mp camera, Symbian ^3, capacitive screen. From the two very brief and basic reviews I've seen, early indications are not good.

I think I'd be tempted to wait for Symbian 4, or wait for an Android device that offers what I'm after - but having learnt my lesson with the N97, I think I'll wait til the phone has been out for a few months before rushing to buy on first release.

riverboat 29-04-2010 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanziBarn (Post 464752)

Yep, Cheers mate, saw you over there. I've got hold of a tmobile upgrade on, but am thinking about debranding it....lol

sjdean 29-04-2010 07:14 PM

Well Im a couple of days of sincere soul searching to decide whether to give up Symbian (for now) for the Nexus One.

As much as I'd love to stick with Symbian, and I love the hardware, and the N97 pretty much does what I want (what the hell am I thinking of moving for?) it just feels tired and dated.

But the N8 is growing on me, but I can't get past the feeling that we'll still have the same messaging interface.

I've sent my N95 to Mazuma. 82 back, paid within a few hours of receipt. Top notch.

nottmbantam 29-04-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjdean (Post 464763)
Well Im a couple of days of sincere soul searching to decide whether to give up Symbian (for now) for the Nexus One.

As much as I'd love to stick with Symbian, and I love the hardware, and the N97 pretty much does what I want (what the hell am I thinking of moving for?) it just feels tired and dated.

But the N8 is growing on me, but I can't get past the feeling that we'll still have the same messaging interface.

I've sent my N95 to Mazuma. 82 back, paid within a few hours of receipt. Top notch.

Oddly enough, I'm hanging onto mine. Was happy to sell on the N97, but love the N95, it was and still is such a good phone. I see they are still being sold new online and are still demanding a good price.