All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Series 60 (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Take the hit, steal the march - Ovi Maps Navigation should go free NOW (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90863)

micdabe 30-11-2009 03:13 PM

N97?

On my N97 Ovi Maps navigation and every other navigation software is totally unuseful due to the worst GPS reception seen in dozen of phones I owned. To me Ovi Maps worth nothing even it wil be free. The GPS reception on N97 make the phone itself worth NOTHING. How did they do that? It's simply UNBELIEVABLE! They should set the phone itself free, not only the maps!

Unregistered 30-11-2009 03:34 PM

For me a dedicated satnav cannot be replaced by a compromised phone sat-nav, and the dedicated devices I use all have free navigation once I have purchased the device. Nokia maps as it stands cannot compete with the free dedicated nav, so it is not even a consideration for me when purchasing a phone.

As for google mobile maps and their ridiculous tile downloads, they are even worse. Surely if my phone is capable of caching the tile, then it should be allowed to.

Unregistered 30-11-2009 03:34 PM

Note that in the US, Amazon is offering the 5800 with a lifetime subscription to Ovi Maps navigation functionality ...
http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Navigati...6&sr=8-2-fkmr0

With the rebate, $199. I suspect this is partly due to remain competitive with Google's offerings.

Umberto 30-11-2009 04:31 PM

Steve

google maps system do not store the maps on the memory card so you have to download them during the use. This system can be great if you have a flat data plan. But this means, for examples, that in other countries you can not use it. Furthermore, in zones where you have not a fast data trasmission (in Italy we have a lot of zones where are not 3G coverage), the map could be charged too slowly. For this reason I prefer the system adopted by OVIMaps instead. The idea to pay for limited periods of time is very good. For example, the last summer I paid 8 Euros for a months of Europe navigation and I have been to Greece (my Garmin 2008 map has only the zone of Athens so it was unuseful for my purposes). At the end of the day, I save a lot of money in terms of fuel avoiding the bad roads and, why not, the not necessary toll roads. For sure, more than the 8 Euros that I gave to Nokia service.
Anyway, I think that a further reduction of the price could be beneficial for this excellent product.

Just another thing to conclude referring to micdabe opinion. My N97 GPS works great with a lot of softwares that I use (OVI Maps, Garmin, Sports Tracker, google maps). The signal is stable also during bad weather days and in the middle of big cities. Both the positioning and the sensitivity are from good to very good. For this reason, if you have problems with your N97 GPS, I suggest to check a Nokia care point. Another suggestion is to try and unistall Accuweather and, of course, an upgrade to fw 20.

slitchfield 30-11-2009 04:45 PM

Yes, N97 GPS isn't the best, but it's useable with:

1) new design antenna (with shield)
2) Maps booster add-on (adds Wi-Fi positioning, can work VERY well in towns)
3) a little patience 8-)

st1100flyer 30-11-2009 04:48 PM

Ovi Maps

My 5800XM came with Ovi Maps preloaded with a 3 month trial and I was very impressed with it. In use it was comparable with my dedicated Garmin satnav. However when the trial expired they wanted 99.99p for a 1yr licence which covered Walk/Drive Europe. Although impressed with Ovi Maps I thought it was totally unrealistic of Nokia to price a 1yr subscription at that level when dedicated satnavs are available for a lot less than that.
I have just checked the Ovi Maps Site and the current price for a 1yr subscription is 52.99p for Drive Europe. The Walk facility seems to have disappeared.

I agree with you totally that Nokia would benefit greatly in phone sales if they offered satnav free. There is, I believe, a 5800 version that comes bundled with fully working satnav so Nokia must be thinking along those lines. I think that most people, when looking for a new (high end) phone look at the phone as a complete package and the inclusion of fully working satnav without having to pay for future licences would greatly influence buyers - I know in the future it would influence me.

rvirga 30-11-2009 05:17 PM

The always-connected model of Google Maps works very well for the U.S. and Canada, where you can travel over an area the size of western Europe while staying within your country, and, what's most important here, within your own carrier's coverage area. It doesn't work very well for Europe, where each tiny nation has its own set of carriers, and data roaming charges are prohibitively high. Nokia has no reason to fear Google Maps Navigation.

slitchfield 30-11-2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvirga (Post 449273)
The always-connected model of Google Maps works very well for the U.S. and Canada, where you can travel over an area the size of western Europe while staying within your country, and, what's most important here, within your own carrier's coverage area. It doesn't work very well for Europe, where each tiny nation has its own set of carriers, and data roaming charges are prohibitively high. Nokia has no reason to fear Google Maps Navigation.

Disagree. Google Maps uses negligible data when used with simple maps (i.e. stay away from satellite photos) - on a cross-UK journey recently I only got through about 600K. Even on roaming rates, that's only a matter of pence and not pounds.

Unregistered 30-11-2009 08:01 PM

Was that just driving Steve with Google tracking you? Because yes that does use very little data, navigation however will use more (how much more I don't know as I've not used Google Nav yet) when using the full functionality.

What about driving in and around places with little to no coverage? Google Nav can't really help you if it can't talk to its servers now can it?

I agree with previous comments that a) many Nokia Devices already have the functionality for free and that b) N Series devices should come with the same type of licence.

Unregistered 30-11-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvirga (Post 449273)

I don't know where you live, but google maps was shyte in Utah, Nevada, Sierra Nevada and the California central valley where I was frequently out of cell range. That rarely happens in a euro country where the population is concentrated. Roaming is not expensive where it is pre-arranged, and many people stay within their own nation 95% of the time. However, pre-loaded maps would not allow google to track a users movements so easily, so Nokia wins again. Google maps is shyte where-ever it is used.

rvirga 30-11-2009 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slitchfield (Post 449280)
Disagree. Google Maps uses negligible data when used with simple maps (i.e. stay away from satellite photos) - on a cross-UK journey recently I only got through about 600K. Even on roaming rates, that's only a matter of pence and not pounds.

TIM Italy's roaming rates for the EU area are €0,00781/KB. That cross-UK journey would have costed me €4.686, or 4.2763. It's a matter of pounds, not pence.

Umberto 30-11-2009 09:49 PM

Still on N97 GPS

Steve

I am really surprised in reading your words.

My N97 GPS worked from the day 1 (fw 11) also inside my car with shielded windows. After the upgrade to fw20 I noticed a relevant improvement of both precision and sensitivity and now it is very very good. I used it regularly without AGPS and things like mapbooster you mentioned. Comparing this with the GPS unit of the 5800XM of my brother, I think that my N97 has similar performances or even better. For sure it is much better than the GPS of my old N95 that, anyway, I used a lot in the last two years.

Are you really sure that after the first bad units (that I think you have) nothing has changed. I found a nonsense if, at present, N97 and N97 mini had different GPS chips and antenna.

RollerSMB 30-11-2009 11:16 PM

Android

Honestly, I would be surprised if sat nav in google maps doesn't make it to symbian/winmo. Google's business model has always been to reach the largest audience. Their products are the services they provide, android would not be making them anywhere near as much money as their core business, advertising. It's in their interest to reach as many people as possible, and free sat nav would convince millions of symbian/winmo phone owners to run google maps more often, and hence give Google more targeted advertising data. I'm guessing that making nokia maps nav free would be pretty futile, the next week, google would fast track their plans to make sat nav on the symbian google maps client.

Arthur 30-11-2009 11:39 PM

What's being forgotten in this conversation is the general robustness and usefulness of the mapping application and I'm sorry but Google Maps walks all over 'Ovi Maps', errr... 'Maps on Ovi' or whatever it's called this week.

Google wins.

seki 01-12-2009 12:09 AM

pro and cons

Google Maps: requires a connection (bad if you pay a lot for data)
Ovi Maps: doesn't require a connection (provided you have preloaded the maps)

Google: Indoors/built up areas - still very accurate.
Ovi: requires a third party add-on to gain any accuracy, not well supported yet.

Google: Has pretty good world wide coverage.
Ovi: Has fairly good world wide coverage, but NOT in Japan (where I'm forced to use MGMaps or some other variant)

Google: Widely available for pretty much ANY device.
Ovi: restricted to Nokia (correct me if I'm wrong)

The above applies just to Maps .. not navigation.
Navigation requires accuracy in positioning I'd stick to Google maps, until Nokia include cell positioning as part of the Assisted-GPS. What needs to happen is with A-GPS on .. it starts with that then if it gets a GPS lock that helps the Assistant (sort of turn it on it head)

I've also not had a problem with the N97's GPS. It works well even at high speed!