All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nokia Nseries S60 5.0 phones (Nokia N97 and Nokia N97 mini) (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   I've sent off for one of those recycling envelopes (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94174)

nottmbantam 13-04-2010 11:23 PM

After umm-ing and ahh-ing for the best part of two weeks, I've decided NOT to get a Desire.

There were just a few missing features for me, as I've already mentioned, but I think I will wait for the HTC Evo to hit the UK shores, hopefully in the summer time. I do like the idea of an Android phone, and like the idea of a slightly bigger screen ( Evo has 4.3" screen ) and slightly more built in memory.

I'm here in Blighty til Fri, fly back out to Saudi and when I get there, I think I will be ditching the N97. It just runs too slowly for my liking, and feels dated already, I don't like the resistive screen, having used and played with capacitive screens. I will be dusting off the N95 again and bringing that back into play.

However, would be interested to hear from those of you who have chosen the Desire to see how Android performs and see how the Apps market develops.

Cheers.

BanziBarn 14-04-2010 06:25 AM

I'll certainly be posting on here after I get it, I can't get onto the android forum anyway!

bchliu 14-04-2010 02:52 PM

This has to be one of the longest "Goodbye" threads I have seen for a while.. jeez..

jmcgrath 14-04-2010 04:29 PM

I've also looked into the Desire and all the posts on the forum make it sound highly unstable. I'll stick with the devil that I know - for just now.

nottmbantam 14-04-2010 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bchliu (Post 463299)
This has to be one of the longest "Goodbye" threads I have seen for a while.. jeez..

Well, up until 'www.allaboutandroid.com' gets going, I guess the long goodbyes might just be perpetual.:)

vudluxi 14-04-2010 05:31 PM

What about the Samsung Galaxy S instead of the Evo (Android 2.1)?
4" screen and 8/16GB memory, so no need for a memory card.
Should be out in the Summer.
Reports are saying its an 'iphone killer', mind you they said that about the N97!

nottmbantam 15-04-2010 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vudluxi (Post 463316)
What about the Samsung Galaxy S instead of the Evo (Android 2.1)?
4" screen and 8/16GB memory, so no need for a memory card.
Should be out in the Summer.
Reports are saying its an 'iphone killer', mind you they said that about the N97!

Yes, it's a possibility, although 'only' a 5mp camera, whereas the Evo would be a 8mp camera. Personally, Samsung don't convince me, I had one of their phones many years ago, didn't like it, and have never bought another one since! I know they have probably improved things since, but you know - once bitten and all that...

The Evo does also have a slightly bigger screen - 4.3" .No idea of UK launch date though, so the Galaxy S might be hitting the shops first.

stringent 15-04-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcgrath (Post 463310)
I've also looked into the Desire and all the posts on the forum make it sound highly unstable. I'll stick with the devil that I know - for just now.

Well remember that forums gravitate users with issues. Out of the three people I have seen with them that I am friends with, they have not had issues with stability at all.

Don't count on the Evo 4G coming to Europe when there is no full 4G coverage. I think it will be next year before that sees the light of day over this way.

If you need a phone now the Desire is the one to get IMO. You can wait for Apple to release their iPhone 4G, and then Microsoft to release Windows Phone 7.

OR the rumoured Nokia N8 is due for press release sometime soon.

The Galaxy S is an enigma. I don't like Samsung. Their camera and screen are to die for, but I really think they will mess Android up. The original Samsung UI is SO rubbish.

BanziBarn 15-04-2010 02:28 PM

I'm phoning T-mobile every day now and they've still not got any.

Getting impatient now!! ;)

dez_borders 15-04-2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stringent (Post 463425)
Well remember that forums gravitate users with issues. Out of the three people I have seen with them that I am friends with, they have not had issues with stability at all.

Good point, and one that has been discussed before. For every internet posting about a problem, there's 1000s of Nokia owners out there with no issues. I have several non AAS friends who own N97s problem free.

Now that (hopefully) everyone has V21 FW, and has had their GPS & Camera lens repaired under warranty, why not just stick with the N97? ...at least until some other model or platform comes out that's a serious & stable alternative. From what I read online, there's currently nothing else stable enough, or with broad app availability to satisfy ex N97 owners.

jamessmith01 15-04-2010 04:30 PM

Am I the only N97 owner who chose the phone in large part because of its form factor? The other touch-screen phones look good and may have good features, but from experience with the iPhone vs N97, I'd much rather stick with a physical QWERTY. The larger screens are much better for browsing, so I wouldn't want an E-series or similar.

If someone feels otherwise, please let me know! I'd certainly have more choice of handsets if I could be convinced to go with touch-screen-only.

nottmbantam 15-04-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamessmith01 (Post 463455)
Am I the only N97 owner who chose the phone in large part because of its form factor? The other touch-screen phones look good and may have good features, but from experience with the iPhone vs N97, I'd much rather stick with a physical QWERTY. The larger screens are much better for browsing, so I wouldn't want an E-series or similar.

If someone feels otherwise, please let me know! I'd certainly have more choice of handsets if I could be convinced to go with touch-screen-only.

I also chose the N97 due to its form factor and was so excited by the prospect of the phone, I literally bought it as soon as it the shops in Saudi - about a week before it was out in the UK.

I *DO* like the keyboard, and got used to it very quickly, even though I think the keybaord layout on the E90 and the N900 look far superior.

It is one of the reasons I've dawdled over buying a touch screen only phone, but looking around at the other alternatives to the N97 - phones with a physical keyboard - really, the only one I liked the look of, was the HTC Touch Pro 2, but I don't like the idea of a Windoze phone, whereas I do like the idea of Android.

THe Motorola offerings don't impress me - just don't like the very square looking phones. Having spoken to various people who do have capacitive touch screens, the typing is apparently quite easy to get used to. However, I suppose the ideal form factor for me, is an Android based device, with the level of features that the N97 carries - which to be honest - are very impressive ( built in 32gb mass memory, FM Transmitter ( does ANY other phone have this feature? ) TV Out etc ). The let down for me is the processing pwoer, which just makes it run very slowly, and the unpredictability / instability of it.

Kevs 15-04-2010 11:12 PM

So my N900 arrived yesterday and after my first full day I reckon I've made the right choice.

It's definitely a phone for someone who wants to tinker, customise and fix a few things, but from what I've seen so far it's definitely worth it.

4 fully customizable desktops which flow wonderfully from one to another,
many tasks all running easily together,
a fantastic quality screen,
no re-encoding video files to play high quality via the TV-out cable,
give me a few weeks and I'll give a fuller update.

But for all that's good the N97 was better in areas -
eg the tilted screen and keyboard spacing was much better,
full ovi maps,
multiple profiles,
position of the screen lock button,
battery life
etc and small things like the music player resuming after a call and automatically pausing when disonnecting from bluetooth.

Some of these are things that can be fixed via a few patches/packages, but definitely not one for out of the box and use as is.

But 24 hours without a hang, crash or having to remove the battery? it's a damn good start.....

Kevs 15-04-2010 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 463488)
It is one of the reasons I've dawdled over buying a touch screen only phone, but looking around at the other alternatives to the N97 - phones with a physical keyboard
features that the N97 carries - which to be honest - are very impressive ( built in 32gb mass memory, FM Transmitter ( does ANY other phone have this feature? ) TV Out etc ).

Not to sound like a complete convert on Day 1, but the N900 has all of the above covered..... you just need to tweak it your needs

nottmbantam 16-04-2010 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevs (Post 463490)
Not to sound like a complete convert on Day 1, but the N900 has all of the above covered..... you just need to tweak it your needs

Saw your post and went onto the Nokia website to look at the full specs, and you're right - it does have all of the N97 features . I did believe you, honest....

With the disappointment of the N97, I'm not sure I want to go for another high end Nokia device, I think at the moment, I'm in the mood to try something different, and so leaning towards the HTC Android devices. I don't want to sound like another N97 basher, as I know there are probably thousands of N97 owners who have never had a problem with their phones, but for me, although it performs to a satisfactory lelve, it's just not as good as I thought it would be, and now trying to find anotehr similar spec phones, I do realise, that on paper, it've VERY hard to beat. THe N97 and the N900 are the only two phones I know of that have a built in FM Transmitter - every person you ask think you are talking about an FM Radio, not many people actually realise that this is a step up from a 'simple' FM radio.

Anyway, was due to fly back to Saudi tomorrow ( Fri ) but due to that darned volcanic ash / dust cloud from those cheeky blighters in Iceland, we may be here for another few days, so time yet to still ponder over phones. In fact, I had a bit of a brain wave - might pop into the Heathrow Duty Free shops and see how much cheaper phones are ( well, at 17.5% cheaper, as there is no VAT to pay ? )

Last summer, I bought a Macbook Pro from a high street Apple retailer, and claimed back the VAT which was a bit of hassle,but eventually got it back. If I buy from the actual duty free shops, then they are already 'discounted' with no VAT payable.