All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nokia Numbered S60 5.0 (Nokia 5800, Nokia 5230, Nokia 5530) (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Debranding the Nokia 5800 (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82259)

TurtlePower 13-02-2009 11:29 PM

Debranding the Nokia 5800

Hi

anyone know if the 5800 can be debranded so that you can download the latest firmware version etc.

There is a sticky to do this with the N95 (my old phone) in that part of the forum - if its possible it would be a good idea to add this here.

Certainly as more firmware versions are added this may get asked more and more!!

Thanks for your help:top:

jdave76 23-02-2009 02:28 PM

i found this worked for me, was on vodafone v11 now v20 euro1 blue

Do the following but make sure u have the latest Nokia PC Suite installed as this has the 5800 usb drivers...

1. Download JAF 1.98.62.exe
http://support.phone-tools.cn/files/...up_1.98.62.exe

2. Download JAF PKEY Emulator v5.0
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QYR4571O

3. Install JAF 1.98.62

4. Extract JAF PKEY Emulator v5.0 to desktop

5. connect ur Nokia 5800 and select PC Suite mode on your Nokia 5800.

6. Now run JAF PKEY v5.0 and click on the GO button. It will come up with error: box driver not installed --> so click ok and now JAF v1.98 will run.

7. select BB5 tab --> tick Prod. Manager --> then click the service button --> click the Read Values button.

8. Now u can enter ur product code and press the Write Values button and boooom it all done.

U heard this from me AKA the BB5 Reaper program maker.
Watch out for my new program BB5 Reaper 2009 !

Thanks to sf and dse.

See Guys, I brought the fone from Hong Kong. Now has the Euro 1 Product Code : 0558982 and v20.0.0.12 FW . On my 5800 RED XM.

JAF Trick rules as NSS is outdated and not updated their

johnt2202 24-02-2009 12:47 PM

Sorry, step 1 above does not work

widehead 24-02-2009 12:52 PM

Doesn't work for me either.

Why do we even have to do this?

I'd quite like to keep my warranty.

capitaine 24-02-2009 01:51 PM

step 6 doesnt work for me - when I run JAF PKEY v5.0 it doesnt show any GO button, and it doesn't open JAF v1.98

there are also 3 error dialogs, not just 1

anarchyuk 24-02-2009 02:15 PM

i can confirm the above guide works 100% as of this morning! i took delivery on my tmobile 5800 that was on version 11, it is now on v20

download the files, make sure the phone is detected by nokia pc suite,

install the jaf program
u should of extracted to ur desktop the OGM_JAF_PKEY_Emulator_v 5 file, so run it

Then press go and it will load the jaf program, press ok on the error and follow the rest of the steps.

johnt2202 24-02-2009 02:39 PM

http://support.phone-tools.cn/files/...up_1.98.62.exe gives:

Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 404

johnt2202 24-02-2009 03:35 PM

I'm pleased to say that I've put annotated instructions to change your Nokia 5800 product code on my blog here: http://www.nottinghamjazz.co.uk/blog/?p=66

capitaine 27-02-2009 12:47 AM

can't get JAF to work; I run the emulator and get this error message:

Powering JCOP simulator ...
ERROR: JCSIMU_open_socket connect socket: 10061
ERROR: JCSIMU_reset_card initialize
ERROR: Cannot get ATR from JCOP simulator!

No idea whats causing it. Am on Vista, and have tried shutting down Zonelabs AV/Firewall but still no luck Any assistance would be appreciated

widehead 27-02-2009 04:54 AM

Well, I can't get it work at all.

But all this is beside the point. We shouldn't have to do this rebranding nonsense in the first place!

As I have mentioned elsewhere in this forum I am currently swanning around with V.10.0.010! I mean come on!!!!

Surely I should have the choice to update my phone with whatever firmware that's available? Why do I need to wait for Asian localization (or whatever) if it's not necessary or I don't require it?

By changing product codes (and invalidating warranties in the process) we are simply giving Nokia another reason not to bother hurrying up with providing people with the latest firmware updates.

This issue of broken hardware and software being issued to consumers is no longer simply restricted to the domain of pc users. We can now enjoy having broken and buggy phones, console software and hardware (Guitar Hero World Tour drum kit anyone?!) foisted upon us by companies resting safe in the knowledge that bugfixes and updates can be released sooner or later (later, yeah?) via the internet.

This has to stop.

seaders 27-02-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by widehead (Post 412464)
Well, I can't get it work at all.

But all this is beside the point. We shouldn't have to do this rebranding nonsense in the first place!

As I have mentioned elsewhere in this forum I am currently swanning around with V.10.0.010! I mean come on!!!!

Surely I should have the choice to update my phone with whatever firmware that's available? Why do I need to wait for Asian localization (or whatever) if it's not necessary or I don't require it?

By changing product codes (and invalidating warranties in the process) we are simply giving Nokia another reason not to bother hurrying up with providing people with the latest firmware updates.

This issue of broken hardware and software being issued to consumers is no longer simply restricted to the domain of pc users. We can now enjoy having broken and buggy phones, console software and hardware (Guitar Hero World Tour drum kit anyone?!) foisted upon us by companies resting safe in the knowledge that bugfixes and updates can be released sooner or later (later, yeah?) via the internet.

This has to stop.

it's generally not Nokia at all, it's the vendor that don't pass down the latest firmware. Nokia makes it's newest firmware available to the vendors as soon as it is, sure it's available to anyone with the right product code, anyway. it's then up to the vendors to change it and pollute the firmware with their own logos and software.

don't blame Nokia, it's the Vodafone's, O2's and others of the same ilk you should be blaming.

capitaine 27-02-2009 01:34 PM

nonsense, we're referring to unbranded, unlocked handsets.

What sort of strategy is this where they selectively release firmware updates? Its total stupidity.

Peter Galbavy 27-02-2009 02:23 PM

Perhaps Nokia have recently hired some makreting and PR people from Ryanair ? lol

widehead 28-02-2009 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seaders (Post 412519)
it's generally not Nokia at all, it's the vendor that don't pass down the latest firmware. Nokia makes it's newest firmware available to the vendors as soon as it is, sure it's available to anyone with the right product code, anyway. it's then up to the vendors to change it and pollute the firmware with their own logos and software.

don't blame Nokia, it's the Vodafone's, O2's and others of the same ilk you should be blaming.

Ah. my mistake. I've mistakenly taken rebranding and changing the product code to be synonymous. To clarify: I have an unbranded, sim-free 5800xm. And there are no updates available for me here in Asia.

TurtlePower 28-02-2009 04:38 PM

It does annoy me that you have to have all the 'branding' crap from the likes of Vodaphone etc. It would'nt bother me so much if they updated their firmware swiftly after the Nokia firmwares.

When i had my N95 they were still 2 or 3 firmware updates behind. one reason they didnt want to implement some of them were the features such as VOIP which they worry about lost revenue from. After all we are just cash resources that they are trying to tap at every opportunity - check out Ryan air for that philosophy! Need the loo anyone! :puke: