All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Links of Interest (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Nokia MWC 2010 event focusses on milestones (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92979)

slitchfield 15-02-2010 12:41 PM

Nokia MWC 2010 event focusses on milestones

As expected by many, Nokia chose to concentrate on their services for their second event this morning at Mobile World Congress (the first was the Moblin/Maemo merger), announcing a barrage of stats, covering the Symbian-relevant Ovi Maps and Ovi Store, plus numbers for Life Tools, all summarised below. Nokia also announced a live pilot of their Nokia Money, designed to allow mobile payments throughout developing countries.

Read on in the full article.

Seft 15-02-2010 01:53 PM

I'm very underwhelmed. I can understand wanting to keep an announcement or two on their own terms and that Symbian are now doing their own thing, but Nokia might as well have not shown up if all they wanted to announce was a pilot program in a couple of cities in India. I could barely keep focused on that terribly dull presentation and by the amount of empty seats in the Q&A it seems that most of the attendees agreed. It's an awfully long way to go just to publish a report card on the Ovi division. I'm not expecting to see an N98, but an E64 or something would have been welcome.

On the plus side, 3m Ovi Maps downloads is genuinely impressive.

Unregistered 15-02-2010 02:03 PM

Very disappointing and incredibly boring presentation about nothing.

Unregistered 15-02-2010 02:07 PM

"Comes with Music catalogue of songs available continues to grow" - Wow! :-)

Unregistered 15-02-2010 10:01 PM

are there really no new phones to be announced by nokia?

i was expecting a decent camera flagship phone successor to the n86. i'm hanging in here with a n82. what's happening?

aidan

Unregistered 15-02-2010 11:10 PM

Ha ha, gotta love all the negative comments from the iPhone/Android fanboys above :)

The amount of ignorance and negativity here is just incredible. Nokia have deliberately not announced any handsets here because they'll be doing that in a separate event where they can get a lot more attention and make more noise, OK?!

And as for the lame, lame, criticism of the above announcements. Well, what do you want Nokia to announce? They've just created world peace, ended poverty and solved AIDS? Come on. To put this into the correct light, I am seeing seasoned industry experts on other sites, who are normally very willing to be critical of Nokia, saying these stats are really impressive and even fantastic. Esp the 3 million downloads of Ovi Maps with free nav.

The real story here is that the illusion of the iPhone being the all encompassing wonderphone to beat all phones, and of Android being the next big thing (Ha!) is being slowly and forcibly shattered. The industry is correcting itself after a bit of a shakeup that has woken Nokia from it's brief snooze. If I was Apple, I'd be very worried about recent announcements from Nokia (oh, and Nokia's growth was 5% up in smartphones last quarter, Apple's static in what is normally their main growth quarter, which is very worrying for them). If I was an investor in Android in any capacity I'd be getting the heck out of there now...

rvirga 16-02-2010 01:47 AM

According to Bloomberg, Nokia is not announcing any new phone at MWC 2010.

Olli-Pekka 16-02-2010 05:14 AM

@rvirga.

Bloomberg is right - Nokia is not announcing anything at MWC. They have a separate event.

Unregistered 16-02-2010 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 457710)
Apple's static in what is normally their main growth quarter, which is very worrying for them). If I was an investor in Android in any capacity I'd be getting the heck out of there now...

Whilst I agree with the positivity toward Nokia, Apple are not too worried about static growth because they know what we all know, rumours of an iPhone 4 are causing people to hold out against going for a 3GS. The release of a 4th gen iPhone will open their floodgates again. Any company as cash-rich as Apple will not be losing much sleep.

Android is looking a bit poorly though, especially Nexus one. This whole Google controlling the world thing, cloud lock-in etc can't be all to blame as most people don't really appreciate that is going on. I think that Android wasn't enough of a step up to make any impact.