All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Series 60 (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Nokia E52 Gets Firmware Update (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90335)

timsalmon 12-11-2009 05:57 PM

Nokia E52 Gets Firmware Update

Software/Firmware version 22.009.202.01 now available for the Nokia E52. Appears to only be available via NSU, not OTA at this time in the UK, at least. Probably just bug fixes, it would seem at this stage, as no noticeable additions like the PodCasting app or Internet Radio are present. May be worth upgrading if you're having problems, but beware - take your backup and restore as the NSU wipes the device clean, of course.

Read on in the full article.

Unregistered 12-11-2009 06:21 PM

Gps???

Hi There,

I was just wondering how many people have managed to get the GPS working on an E52. This is driving me crazy because it works perfectly with A-GPS but without the internet connection there is just no way to get a fix.

Does anyone have an idea if it is a dud phone or just a software issue? I guess I should take it back to the nokia care centre...

Cheers.

Anon 12-11-2009 07:20 PM

Looks like nothing changed

In Russia it's also available only on NSU. Looks like all bugs are still in place.

davidgilson 12-11-2009 07:39 PM

This is also available for the E55.

I'm rather put out about the lack of OTA update, seeing as OTA was one of the unique selling points I based my purchase of the E55 on!!!

Rafe 12-11-2009 07:51 PM

OTA may well come later. It sometimes happens that way.

slitchfield 12-11-2009 08:05 PM

@unregistered:

Try taking the phone and leaving it looking for GPS in the middle of the garden or on a rooftop, where it can see the sky. Leave it there for 30 minutes, to build a full almanac. Let me know if it makes a difference thereafter.

I'm not quite sure why you don't want it to use Assisted GPS though - it's only a few K of data!

Unregistered 12-11-2009 10:46 PM

A-gps

This might be beside the point, but can you show me how to use A-GPS ? I just installed Ovi maps and loaded the maps. Is there any setting that we need to do ?
Im a different unregistered by the way.

Kazutoyo 12-11-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 447099)
I was just wondering how many people have managed to get the GPS working on an E52. This is driving me crazy because it works perfectly with A-GPS but without the internet connection there is just no way to get a fix.

Does anyone have an idea if it is a dud phone or just a software issue? I guess I should take it back to the nokia care centre...

I don't want to use A-GPS either and thus never used it, and here are my experiences. But note that this is all from the old firmware, I haven't tried the new one yet.

I live downtown, surrounded by large apartment/office buildings, and the GPS won't start here at all. I left it on the whole night once by the window in my kitchen, and by morning it still didn't have any signal.

However, when I'm in open areas or in a car in the countryside, the GPS will find me after 10-15 minutes or so. And after it been found, it keep the signal rather well when I get back downtown.

Still, I read on the Nokia forum that the GPS is defective on some E52s, so they have to be taken to Nokia care centres and have their motherboard replaced, although this is only on some of the early grey metal models and I got the later black model.

darren.mac 12-11-2009 10:57 PM

Hi, I had the same problem getting a GPS singal lock, and then i switched off the GSP and A-GPS positioning options, the restarted my E52.
i turned on the GSP and Assisted GPS options again, and i did what Steve just said, and left the phone out in an open garden, and now it uses both the GSP and Assisted GPS, working fine.

Thanks for that Steve!

Go get A GPS, go to:
Menu >> Ctrl.Panel >> Settings >> General >> Positioning >> Positioning Methods >> then check the A-GPS and GPS.

Just to confirm, this OTA firmware update aint available in Ireland either.

Regards,
Darren.

slitchfield 13-11-2009 07:48 AM

To explain some of the above, there are widespread misconceptions about how GPS and Assisted GPS works. Maybe I should write a troubleshooting tutorial, Rafe?

Unregistered 13-11-2009 12:16 PM

A tutorial article focusing on Ovi maps would be quite useful Steve... More so if u can do one before I go for my thanksgiving holiday :) Heh...

Unregistered 13-11-2009 01:14 PM

No updates yet for my E55 variant which I bought in the UK...

Unregistered 13-11-2009 08:00 PM

Anyone tested it?

Any reviews out?

xhafan 14-11-2009 02:43 PM

Another forum where the new firmware review might appear: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_e52-reviews-2792.php

Any luck with garmin xt with the new 22.009 firmware?

buster 14-11-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazutoyo (Post 447121)
I don't want to use A-GPS either and thus never used it, and here are my experiences. But note that this is all from the old firmware, I haven't tried the new one yet.

I live downtown, surrounded by large apartment/office buildings, and the GPS won't start here at all. I left it on the whole night once by the window in my kitchen, and by morning it still didn't have any signal.

However, when I'm in open areas or in a car in the countryside, the GPS will find me after 10-15 minutes or so. And after it been found, it keep the signal rather well when I get back downtown.

Still, I read on the Nokia forum that the GPS is defective on some E52s, so they have to be taken to Nokia care centres and have their motherboard replaced, although this is only on some of the early grey metal models and I got the later black model.

Well, what do you expect? In a built-up area, your phone can't see much of the sky, meaing it can't get a position; this explains why your phone DOES work in open areas. If you did use A-GPS in a built-up area, your phone would rapidly know roughly where it was, possibly enabling it to gain a proper GPS signal.

Of course, the question really is, why do you choose not to use A-GPS? I mean, there's nothing like making life difficult for yourself...