All About Symbian Forums

All About Symbian Forums (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nokia N95 and N95 8GB (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   External GPS - please help. (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70236)

exabite 22-02-2008 07:35 PM

External GPS - please help.

Hey there:)

I've been looking at external receivers for my Nokia N95 8GB. I was considering buying the Holux M1200 and having a look around I found it cheapest on ebay. The problem is that it states that it is a 51 channel receiver, whereas on the Holux website it states that its a 32 channel receiver. After asking the seller why the units he supplied stated they were 51 channels he replied with this:

Quote:

first, we need to clarify that dont sell any GPS devices in 32channels.

second, as far as we ve been advised that the website of Holux has not been fully updated. Importantly, all the package are pre-ordered as they only put an additional white sticker to notify the change to 51channels instead of swapping the whole package.

if you wish to verify it, pls provide the serial number, which is on the back of your item and contact Holux at info@holux.com for details.

So I guess my question really is, has anyone bought one of these "51 channels" receivers from ebay and is it the real deal(genuine Holux product) or a fake/scam?

Oh, also will this bluetooth GPS receiver be fully compatible with my Nokia N95 8GB?

Here's a link to the ebay item: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HOLUX-M1200-51...QQcmdZViewItem

kn751 22-02-2008 09:03 PM

Why do you need 51 channels? :con?

You need at most a half a dozen satellite fixes to determine location and speed. That's six channels.

Looks a bit iffy to me. Try getting a used Globalsat BT338 receiver - SirfStar 3 chipset, rapid time to first fix, never drops a fix (unless you're in a tunnel), runs for 18 hrs on one charge, and has a replaceable battery. Fits in your pocket, and will work from the glovebox of your car.

Those are the things that matter practically, not zillions of channels. And yes - it couples to my N95 8Gb no problem.

This might be a variant of the well-documented "Holox" (note different spelling) scam. Be wary.

KN

sbm007 22-02-2008 09:05 PM

I have never bought a GPS receiver in my life, but my advise to you would be to search for a different receiver, since its clearly a scam in my opinion.

I am suspecting it is not a 51 channel receiver but 32, it is clearly visible on the pictures attached in the advertisement, that the seller has edited these with a imaging tool (Photoshop, Paint etc) and changed the 32 into a 51. I am 99.99% sure about this, I mean look at the scanned back cover of the package, does that '51' look authentic to you? And if you enlarge the picture using paint you see this:

Have a look at the '51' text, if you look clearly, you can notice a '2' behind it, it is supposed to say '32', clearly the seller has written this text on it.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/4954/proofapq8.png

Or look at this:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7885/proofbth2.png

Notice how the '51' is a different font and fontsize then the rest of the text.

A commerical and professional company would not do this, in my logic.

EDIT:

Also:

Quote:

second, as far as we ve been advised that the website of Holux has not been fully updated. Importantly, all the package are pre-ordered as they only put an additional white sticker to notify the change to 51channels instead of swapping the whole package.
Some how I doubt this, 'the website of Holux has not been fully updated', this does not make any sense at all, why would a company sell products that aren't documented on one of their main means of providing support, a website. If anything; the package would be wrongly labeled but it would be correctly stated on the website, again my logic ;)

All in all, sounds a bit fishy to me

Anyway it is your decision ;)

exabite 22-02-2008 09:21 PM

Thanks for your input.

I also noticed how the 51 looked like a different font. The seller has quite a good reputation and alot of people seem to be buying the unit with out any problems.

To be safe im just going spend the extra £20 and get it from amazon.

sbm007 22-02-2008 10:07 PM

Your welcome.

And yeah I would've done the same as you, just buy from a reputable place.

Even though the buyer has positive feedback, but how can you ever get to know if it is 51 channels? A standard navigation system wont tell you this, and neither does the GPS receiver have a LCD screen or so which tells you this, and if it is not located on the GPS receiver's manual/packaging, then heck the seller could say its a 100 channels receiver :rolleyes:. False advertising in my opinion.

But it does say it on the packaging, it says 32 channels. And most likely it is 32 channels.

dchky 23-02-2008 12:07 AM

Given that there are only 30 GPS birds (give or take a couple as they replace the older ones) and that you will only really ever physically see maybe 6 in the sky above your head, then there is not much point in having a receiver with more than around 12 channel capability. Why would you need it? More satellites wont give you a better fix, quite the opposite in fact - compounded errors, multipath, etc.

You only need 3 satellites to get a good fix, 4 if you want altitude.

exabite 23-02-2008 12:32 AM

I know that you you only need a few satellites to get a good GPS lock. I was just trying to find out if what he was selling was genuine or fake.

Anyway from the reviews I've read Holux M1200 is a very good receiver.

Unplugged 24-02-2008 02:11 AM

lol seeing as theres only 24 Sats the number of channels is poitnless.

24 Sats cover the globe so your only going to see at most 8-10 in the sky at any one time as the others will be the other side of the planet

tode 13-03-2008 09:10 PM

I should have read this forum first! - yes I have bought one of these from this seller & no it doesn't work (not yet anyway).
All appears good (LEDs flash to suggest signal acquired, BT pairing is fine) but 9500 doesn't recognise it as a GPS device.
I've lost my PC BT dongle, so I can't poke round yet, but daughter's MacBook paired ok, but didn't do anything sensible with it either.

loopyludo 14-03-2008 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unplugged (Post 366577)
lol seeing as theres only 24 Sats the number of channels is poitnless.

Agreed, however the manufacturers are claiming that the additional channels are used to track the same sats, thus increasing resiliancy, not sure as if it would increase or decrease accuracy due to different results. Just another marketing scam in my opinion.

thecat666 14-03-2008 08:56 AM

External GPS

you could always try currys you can buy the tomtom bluetooth gps 35 or maplins they do a few makes 39 to 60 i think. i bought from maplins through a friend and paid 20, if you can find one of codes then you can get it for around 25 from maplins.