View Single Post

Old 25-10-2007, 12:33 PM

shanespencer is on a distinguished road
Hi! I'll try to answer as best as I can, but I'm sure others will be along shortly to add info (or correct mine!)

Quote:
1. What is firmware?
Firmware is the OS, or software that your phone is running on.

Quote:
2. How do i check my firmware version?
Press the following on your phone:

*#0000#

[quote]
3. How do I know if it needs updating?[quote]

Your phone doesn't necessarily need updating, it's entirely up to you. It is often advisable to update when a newer firmware becomes available though, for the new features. be warned though; sometimes a new firmware fixes some bugs and introduces others!

Quote:
4. How do I update my firmware?
It can be simple matter of connecting your phone to your PC and running Nokia Software Updater. If you have a branded handset and wish to remove the branding whilst updating your firmware, then it involves a bit more work, but it's still relatively painless.

Quote:
5. Does updating my firmware wipe everthing else on the phone? (and if so will I have to re-enter my network settings for SMS, MMS etc?)
Updating your firmware will reset your phone, so it's vital you back up all your photos, music, contacts etc. My N95 automatically downloads the settings for SMS, GPRS etc from Orange. Yours could well do the same. If not, you can get the details from your network's website.

Hope that helps!