View Single Post

Old 24-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Unregistered

Nokia since 1997 - no longer

It was the N97 that's made me turn against Nokia. I purchased it last June, a highly anticipated purchase, after owning Nokia phones _exclusively_ since 1997. In those twelve years, I have purchased nine Nokia phones, including the N97, E71, E70, E61, 8260, etc etc...

The N97 was the most expensive phone I had ever purchased, ever. And. It. SUCKED! Okay, sure, compared to my previous phones it was not bad, but all of the issues that have been raised in review after review - the stupid camera cover that scratched the lens, the poor performance of the GPS, the idiotic memory allocation, the constant and ridiculous configuration problems, the hassle getting it to respond to my university's 802.1x wifi system, the poorly performing touchscreen, the tacky keyboard ... It was shockingly bad. By September of last year, I was fed up and angry that this company, which had always produced great phones, had so badly stumbled. Beyond the hardware problems, though, lies a land that Nokia barely understands, and this is why I now utterly, totally, love the phone I have: content.

It wasn't even the hardware problems, you see, that drove me away from the N97. It was the Ovi store. Was it the chaotic menus? The badly screened software? the expensive and poor performance of the few programs I did end up purchasing? the incredibly slow pace of new software? or all of the above?

I now have an iPhone 3gs. It has a few problems, true, but it's got 32gigs of storage, just like the N97. I never have to second-guess what that storage is doing. It immediately connected to my university's wifi system: username, password, and boom. Connected. It has a marvelous touchscreen. Sure, there are issues and relatively minor annoyances, and it would be nice to have an FM transmitter/receiver, but what makes the difference? content.

The iPhone's hardware, you see, is just the tip of an iceberg. Nokia needs to wake up - its absurdly bad Ovi store is not just a revenue-stream failure, it represents the failure of an entire paradigm. The iPhone delivers cheap, good, well-programmed CONTENT. It's not just a phone, but a content-engine. Nokia hasn't just missed the boat or the fleet; it's missed the entire continent of content that the iPhone delivers.

So live and learn: no more Nokia, at least for a long while. Thanks; it's been awesome - well - up to that last thing; you know, the one that was stupidly expensive and, in the end, kinda sucked.

-Richard.