View Single Post

Old 14-06-2009, 10:10 PM

vitaminz is on a distinguished road
I bought my 5800 at the start of the year, and it's certainly one of the best phones I've used. Although I've sent back 2 handsets due to faults, I've had this one for months and it's fine.

The actual form factor of the phone is fantastic, and it really is great that it's designed for one hand use, it makes texting much easier. As you said the lock switch is very handy, and it helps save battery life.

The whole 'double tap' thing really didn't bother me at all. Although it could be because I've used S60 for a few years, I found it pretty clear when a double tap was needed. I know it's not the most elegant solution, but it works fine for me.

But it's not perfect:

1: As said, it plays 3D games pretty awfully, and the bundled ones are frankly rubbish.

2: No gadgets like in the N97. The phone runs the same OS at the same resolution so I'm hoping that the 5800 will get the gadgets that are in the N97.

3: A very minor niggle, but on the browser and music player, when the phone is in landscape mode, a lot more information appears in the top bar, which makes the main screen area smaller

4: No 'chat' style text message reading, like in the iPhone.

5: I have a seperate compact digital camera so I rarely use the inbuilt one, but from what I've seen it's not great

But, all in all for such a low price it's amazing. I would have thought Nokia would have cut back on features, but every smartphone feature is present, plus more. I really can't see myself departing with this phone for a long, long time.

Now if Nokia add some great new features such as the N97 gadgets, and fix the existing software problems in a future firmware update, it'll be perfect.