View Single Post

Old 24-02-2006, 08:57 PM

Tomahawk is on a distinguished road
I went through this with my 2nd 9500 - also bought from expansys. I have no proof but it seems that expansys keep their prices low these days by buying up excess stock sloshing around in the "system" at discounted prices and then passing that (or some of it ) on to the customer. I was fortunate in that neither phone was quite in "new" condition - no protective plastic across the exterior screen and some minor scratches above the outside screen. expansys supplied me two different phones, both similar condition and couldn't supply me one with new firmware. We agreed to give it up and they refunded all my costs and I bought elsewhere (India as it turned out) with the latest firmware. I concluded (rightly or wrongly) that they may also be buying "unused/unwanted" returns (knowingly or unknowingly) and selling those on as new. Service provided was excellent except that they didn't seem to be able to supply a recent phone.

Firmware upgrade would be straightforward in the UK - take it to any service centre and they should be able to sort it out. I can't comment on what would happen in France - may not be a problem for a service centre to get the upgrade firmware. One caveat - I recall that people have reported that phones upgraded to 5.22 sometimes appear not to work as well as before they upgrade. Given that 4.53 seemed to be reliable out the box, it is questionable whether it is worth the risk of ugrading. If you can find a reason to return the phone to expansys for a refund, it may be worth buying elsewhere - you may have to pay more though. It may be worth checking expansys' return policy.