All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-09-2007, 04:46 PM

tommylux is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Where to install applications, phone or memory card?

It is clear that I have too many applications on my phone. When I browse the net, it runs out of memory and Nokia maps closes when select navigate to despite no other apps are running at the same time.

I downloaded taskman:
h t t p : / / w w w .smartphoneware.com/taskman-for-s60-3rd-edition-product.php

and it confirms that I have only 8mb ram remaining despite no applications are running. I checked the processes, and counted the KB used by each one, but cant work out where all the ram is using up.

I install all my apps on the phone memory cause they can run independant of the mem card, and I do have 45mb phone storage remaining.

Should I be installing applications on the memory card? Anything I can do to free up ram, but without loosing phone functions?

Tom

Old 15-09-2007, 05:54 PM

PimpSC is on a distinguished road
do a search on the forum. there are interesting threads regarding this topic

Ads

Old 15-09-2007, 06:03 PM

tommylux is on a distinguished road
Hi Pimp,

Its not that i'm lazy, trust me I wanted answers straight away by searching on the net, but I've always had trouble with keywords. n95 ram has always brought up 1000s of results, none of them useful

Old 15-09-2007, 08:02 PM

pa49 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylux View Post
Hi Pimp,

Its not that i'm lazy, trust me I wanted answers straight away by searching on the net, but I've always had trouble with keywords. n95 ram has always brought up 1000s of results, none of them useful
Where you install your apps has nothing to do with your operating RAM.
Just keep a track on your running apps! Use an apps manager to check what's running in the background! Close all you don't need and keep all your apps installed on the phone.
Do a soft reset and see immediately after how much RAM the system has free.

Last edited by pa49; 15-09-2007 at 08:06 PM.

Old 15-09-2007, 09:25 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It is clear that I have too many applications on my phone. When I browse the net, it runs out of memory and Nokia maps closes when select navigate to despite no other apps are running at the same time.
In general where you install the app does not affect the phone's RAM.
If you have a memory card, install all apps there - where possible.
Only running apps (or processes) will use up RAM.

If (like me) you only use on a regular basis a handful of the apps you have installed, you might be better off uninstalling anything you don't really need.
After rebooting my N95, I have about 16Mb free RAM. If you have less, then you have lots of auto-start apps and need to get rid of some.
I have Auto-Profile and Handy Taskman set to auto-start on boot-up, but nothing else.

Do you have any VOIP, Call Recording, or Virus Scanner apps which are set to auto-start?
If so, turn them off. Only launch these apps when you need to use them.

When browsing the internet with the WEB app, it's vital to disable Mini-Map and History-List functions as they are RAM hungry, and also to clear the Cache regularly. Even then there are some sites (e.g. eBay) which simply have too large pages for phones with such limited Ram as the N-Series smartphones.

Last edited by dez_borders; 15-09-2007 at 09:30 PM.

Old 16-09-2007, 06:10 PM

PimpSC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hi Pimp,

Check this one out. Great info's in there.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=62536

Old 17-09-2007, 02:41 PM

palmtopman is on a distinguished road
Smile New Apps - Internal Memory v Card

It has always been my principal and advice to install additional applications etc on any PDA inc N95 onto a memory card if possible, therefore leaving as much internal RAM free to run applications and the device itself. www.palmtopman.com

Old 17-09-2007, 05:16 PM

pa49 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtopman View Post
It has always been my principal and advice to install additional applications etc on any PDA inc N95 onto a memory card if possible, therefore leaving as much internal RAM free to run applications and the device itself. www.palmtopman.com
Sorry, but you are not correct, installing to mem card does not save RAM!
It's a myth!
If you install to mem card you run the risk of causing problems. If you change your mem card or it gets corrupt you loose your apps.
The N95 has plenty of internal memory for apps and should be used first to keep the phone stable and running as fast as possible cos mem card memory is slower than the phone's.

I have read your site and would disagree with your advice about backup and then restoring to another/newer smartphone device.
The N95 in particular does not like a restore across a debrand/update and this action has been shown to cause stability problems. Used for recovery back to the same OS and firmware version causes no such problems.

Last edited by pa49; 17-09-2007 at 05:27 PM.