All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-09-2007, 07:34 PM

Talonso is on a distinguished road
Mail for exchange, can I install it?

Hi,

I have one doubt what if I should install Mail for exchange 2.0 (latest version appeared this week) or not.

I'm currently using the POP3 method to access my business mail but after seeing this SW (with outlook functionalities fully integrated) I'd like to test it but I have the following questions:

- Do I need any special support from my IT department (any specific SW in the exchange server) or do I just install the tool in my N95 and configure it as I do in my laptop ?

- Will I sync my full outlook data (contacts, notes, mails) or just mail?

Any help?
Nokia N95 (01.01)

Old 30-09-2007, 12:25 AM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
Yes, you need to make sure your IT dept has Activesync for Exchange enabled for their Exchange server. There are some minimum requirements including Exchange 2003 SP1 or later.. but you can find these details from Microsoft's website.

This will replace the POP functionality on your account. Make sure you leave the emails on the server or else Mail for exchange does not pick these up.
Ads

Old 30-09-2007, 10:10 AM

Talonso is on a distinguished road
OK thanks. I'll check the activesync issue.
Nokia N95 (01.01)

Old 01-10-2007, 02:12 AM

iball is on a distinguished road
I use this on my N95 daily for work.
It only really works well if you keep all your mail on the server, preferably through the use of an OST file so you can access already-received emails from a desktop/laptop when there's no network connectivity.
It syncs ALL your contacts, calendar info, and Inbox-only (server-to-phone only, but the first time you sync you can instruct it to keep the data on your phone) emails.
If you have emails in folders other than Inbox then it will not sync tose. Only what's in your Inbox. I use mine and it auto-checks every 15 minutes during the day from 0830 to 1730, after that it doesn't sync at all since I'm no longer "working" then.
It works pretty damn well, I have no complaints with it. Even does GAL searches too.
I tested it with an Exchange 2007 beta system linked to an Exchange 2003 GAL that has literally hundreds of thousands GAL entries and it cranked through it and sent back the results pretty quickly for a GAL of that size.
All-in-all it's great for a free product.
Would probably work "better" if I was using it with an E90 Communicator what with that big keyboard it has and all.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:24 AM

TBird1 is on a distinguished road
Try Emoze - Best app Ive found so far for Outlook email (It integrates your Outlook Client or your OWA clinet.

Emoze provides full push functionaility for both Wifi/3g/GPRs and syncs Inbox, Calender, To Do etc in real time. Its free and Ive been using for a few weeks now and Im very pleased.