All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #16  
Old 27-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Liam548's Avatar
Liam548 Liam548 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 846
Liam548 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kontraband View Post
wifi is a real killer.

If you run your battery dead tho... thats definately not helping... best thing is to continually top it up. Thats the only reason I would see your phone not lasting a day.
i thought that was best, thats what I try and do. Run it til its flat then recharge fully while its off.

Mine is lasting between 1 to 2 days.
__________________

  #17  
Old 28-03-2008, 09:57 AM
GordonShowers's Avatar
GordonShowers GordonShowers is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 249
GordonShowers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam548 View Post
i thought that was best, thats what I try and do. Run it til its flat then recharge fully while its off.
This is NOT thought to be the best way to prolong battery life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li-ion_...n_battery_life

"Unlike Ni-Cd batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a long time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40% - 60%. Lithium-ion batteries should not be frequently fully discharged and recharged ("deep-cycled") like Ni-Cd batteries, but this is necessary after about every 30th recharge to recalibrate any external electronic "fuel gauge" (e.g. State Of Charge meter). This prevents the fuel gauge from showing an incorrect battery charge."

  #18  
Old 28-03-2008, 12:31 PM
pa49 pa49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 400
pa49 is on a distinguished road
The bottom line on this is that we all need as much power for as long as possible all the time.
Kontraband is correct and charging as much as possible and whenever you can is the way to get as much 'life' out of the battery, whatever the phone (assuming it's Lion chemistry).
__________________
blogn95.blogspot.com
http://bloge51.blogspot.com/

  #19  
Old 28-03-2008, 04:25 PM
davyjones davyjones is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 59
davyjones is on a distinguished road
That nokia energy profiler program, the timing it shows in the top right corner isn't remaining battery time right?
couse just checked mine, and it said about 16:xx and i had 1 bar left.
So for what else is this program good for except showing the measure when you use it.

  #20  
Old 28-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Ben Frain Ben Frain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 79
Ben Frain is on a distinguished road
davyjones - my understanding is that the figure top right is how long the battery would last, on a full charge, under the current load. When the screensaver kicks in for example you will see this number go up (as the power load decreases).

It's great for knowing if your case it too tight - not a lot else

  #21  
Old 28-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Liam548's Avatar
Liam548 Liam548 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 846
Liam548 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyjones View Post
That nokia energy profiler program, the timing it shows in the top right corner isn't remaining battery time right?
couse just checked mine, and it said about 16:xx and i had 1 bar left.
So for what else is this program good for except showing the measure when you use it.
where do I get this program ?
edit
found it
__________________

Last edited by Liam548; 28-03-2008 at 05:37 PM.

  #22  
Old 29-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Doughball Doughball is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14
Doughball is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyjones View Post
That nokia energy profiler program, the timing it shows in the top right corner isn't remaining battery time right?
couse just checked mine, and it said about 16:xx and i had 1 bar left.
So for what else is this program good for except showing the measure when you use it.
By starting/using/closing applications, it lets you see just how power hungry they are, and what to expect should you leave them running. Even when left running in the background, many applications will have a significant power requirement. (e.g. WiFi/3G, and GPS tracking). Inadvertantly leaving one running can very quickly drain a battery.

... So it gives you information to help you make choices to suit your requirement for phone use Vs battery life.

For me ?: I still need a small 2 x AA battery unit to boost my N95-8GB phone battery during long walks, but generally I get 1-2 days medium use from my phone (phone, email, Internet)
__________________
--
Doughball

  #23  
Old 29-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Liam548's Avatar
Liam548 Liam548 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 846
Liam548 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughball View Post
By starting/using/closing applications, it lets you see just how power hungry they are, and what to expect should you leave them running. Even when left running in the background, many applications will have a significant power requirement. (e.g. WiFi/3G, and GPS tracking). Inadvertantly leaving one running can very quickly drain a battery.

... So it gives you information to help you make choices to suit your requirement for phone use Vs battery life.

For me ?: I still need a small 2 x AA battery unit to boost my N95-8GB phone battery during long walks, but generally I get 1-2 days medium use from my phone (phone, email, Internet)
whats this AA battery unit then?

Liam
__________________

  #24  
Old 03-06-2008, 01:37 AM
Doughball Doughball is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14
Doughball is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam548 View Post
whats this AA battery unit then?

Liam
http://www.energizer-eu.com/en/products/energi-go

http://www.needbatteries.co.uk/energ...okia-150-p.asp

I'm sure i paid a lot less, worth a search for "Energi to Go"
__________________
--
Doughball

  #25  
Old 03-06-2008, 08:18 AM
krzych's Avatar
krzych krzych is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Poland
Posts: 90
krzych is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughball View Post
Thanks for mentioning it, its best idea ive ever seen not counting a "bigger" battery (which shamefully Nokie doesnt made the same size - i would pay triple for doubled battery or at least 150% of normal).

K.
Ads

  #26  
Old 03-06-2008, 10:37 AM
ironass's Avatar
ironass ironass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cotswolds, U.K.
Posts: 1,508
ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by krzych View Post
Thanks for mentioning it, its best idea ive ever seen not counting a "bigger" battery (which shamefully Nokie doesnt made the same size - i would pay triple for doubled battery or at least 150% of normal).

K.
Have had my N95 8Gb for 7 months now and class myself as a heavy user so therefore I just place the phone in a bedside charging cradle every night to charge and if I'm connected to PC Suite I connect a spare charger along with the USB.

http://www.blueunplugged.com/p.aspx?p=121919

Here are some other ways round the battery problem that you may, or may not, have seen.

I carry one of these:-

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Portable-P...-phone-Charger

other alternatives:-

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/15712.htm

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/16557.htm

http://www.blueunplugged.com/p.aspx?p=122075

http://www.blueunplugged.com/p.aspx?p=120976

http://www.blueunplugged.com/p.aspx?p=121196

Also I have a spare battery from my N95-1 which fits quite neatly into the N95 8GB in an emergency.
 

Bookmarks

Tags
8gb, charging, day, light, n95

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nokia N95 and N95 8GB Product codes [Debranding] stuclark Nokia N95 and N95 8GB 63 02-10-2010 03:49 PM
Which one? £280 for n95 or £570 for n95 8GB? 123scottyb Nokia N95 and N95 8GB 9 27-03-2008 12:23 PM
iSync plugin for OSX 10.5.1 and N95 8GB v1.15? Ben Frain Nokia N95 and N95 8GB 1 11-02-2008 04:08 PM



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:31 AM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy