All About N-Gage - Next Generation Ready

Old 04-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
One year since First Access...

It's been a whole year since N-Gage's public beta test, aka First Access, which allowed people with N81s to try out the new platform for a few weeks. What's been improved since then? What has still got to be improved? See below for some ideas, but do add your own in the comments thread.

Read on in the full article.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:53 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Regarding "No non-competitive online features". What'd be your examples of competivie online features for games on a mobile phone? Can you give examples of other mobile phone games or gaming platforms with online features that are better?

And you probably didn't intennd to put it that way, but when you say that what needs to be fixed/missing is "no non-competitive online features", you're actually asking N-Gage to have less competitive features or add more non-competitive features (that is, removing features that are now competitive, or to make them worse).

Old 05-02-2009, 07:04 AM

marcb is on a distinguished road
I'm still waiting for N-Gage support for my N73...

On one hand I respect delaying a release instead of getting a product that is too unstable, slow, etc. On the other hand it would be nice to have even a limited N-Gage game catalog for the N73.
At least there are still some decent games for the N73 like Tilelander. Frozen Bubble and the ones from IDreams.pl.

I wonder how things will look in a year... and if I will still be using my N73.

Marc
Ads

Old 05-02-2009, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
What'd be your examples of competivie online features for games on a mobile phone?
Something like Animal Crossing on the Nintendo DS, where you can visit each other's online world, chat, hang out, share items etc. Nintendo implemented online a bit poorly by restricting visitors to prearranged friend lists, but the actual online interaction is great.

Or...

Quote:
Can you give examples of other mobile phone games or gaming platforms with online features that are better?
I can actually, the MMORPG TibiaME has been on mobile phones for 5 years now and it features almost entirely non-competitive multiplayer online:

http://www.tibiame.com/

The graphics are a bit primitive, but the gameplay is really great fun, you go on adventures with other players and co-operate in fighting the monsters. There are thousands of players online at once, it would be great on N-Gage.

You can't fight each other (except in special PvP areas) so you chat, trade, help each other. That would be nice to see from Nokia, seeing an upgraded TibiaME on N-Gage would be absolutely great.

Quote:
I wonder how things will look in a year... and if I will still be using my N73.
Yeah, the longer they delay support the less people will actually need it because they will have moved on to newer models. The N73 is pretty old now, something like 3 years?

But you never know...

Old 05-02-2009, 04:05 PM

RenkliArif is on a distinguished road
Offlıne Bluetooth multıplayer would be great too

Old 05-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Offlıne Bluetooth multıplayer would be great too
There are already some games with this, ONE and Asphalt 4.

It's in the N-Gage SDK, it's up to the game developers whether to use it or not.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Makes me wonder what ever happened to Habbo Islands!

There's also a fair few board games with multiplayer online that adds things like chat or game watching to them. Though these are basic to be fair. Adding in chat would seem to be one area that might work.

But yes I think online stuff in general is where a lot of potential lies. Reset generation model of fidning other players should also be more widely applied. I think extra downloads (i.e. levels / characters / guides) might be an area to develop. You could make operators happy too

Old 06-02-2009, 12:32 AM

lumothesinner is on a distinguished road
I agree with all those points, esspecially with the lack of 3d chip usage.
the fact the the NGP profile is limited to 5 games does suck but you can see an individual games points without loading it up, just highlight it and click options, then view my profile, and it will open the NGP screen for that game