All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 11-08-2010, 07:01 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The best of Nokia's Symbian^1 line-up: picking a 'flagship'

"So what's the best Symbian touchscreen phone to get these days?" is a question I get asked quite a bit. The person asking is unlikely to be a fellow uber-geek so I can't usually say the Samsung i8910 - and the Sony Ericsson phones are something of a mess in terms of usability. Which leaves good 'ol Nokia, famously plagued by problems producing a really high end S60 5th Edition smartphone (remember that the N8 is still - amazingly - still a month away), but who offer a pretty decent line up of add-ons, from Maps to Ovi Store to Music. After not a lot of thought, I'd whittled Nokia's current line-up down to two...

Read on in the full article.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:24 AM
Unregistered

I've been using a couple of other phones, an Android and an iPhone for about 4 months. After I heard there was an update for the 5800 I got it out of the drawer to upgrade and play with. I hadn't noticed the sluggishness before when it was my main phone, but it stands out now. Everything else about it seemed really good though, it's still an impressive phone, but the ARM 11, 434MHz without external help from a supporting display accelerator is a bit of a problem.

This is exactly the same processor as in these two compared devices, so people are going to notice. Neither of them can be called "flagship", Nokia just don't have one. I don't think the N8 will be either, despite the superb imaging. That role is going to be fulfilled by a Meego phone with hardware to leapfrog everything else.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Unregistered

If the mini would have 256mb of RAM and a 600mhz processor (note that I am not asking too much) it would be a superb device.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:53 AM

PaulVise is on a distinguished road
N97 mini has been about 360 for a while now, but this price drop came too late, so I managed to grap couple of months ago HTC Desire also only for 360, sick price.

iPhone 4 = 599/699
Desire normal price= 480

Greetings from Finland.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Unregistered

E7

"If the mini would have 256mb of RAM and a 600mhz processor (note that I am not asking too much) it would be a superb device."

I wholeheartedly agree! It is such a shame that Nokia decided to cut costs on the CPU and RAM - really really stupid. The rest of the device is beatiful, only hindered by the poor CPU/RAM thingy.

If rumors (and leaked videos) are true, the coming Nokia E7 should be just that perfect device.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Unregistered

Symbia Handset

The N97 mini looks an is the Best Valued handset as with the metal body it looks worth its True Value,the X6 might be o.k for younger generation but the Plastic body lets the phone down an the Music Player not as simple as people were expecting,but one mobile thats deserves alot of praise is the 5800,as the Music player is spot on an the Speakers Superb an the software so simple to use an this mobile as really got to be Nokia top seller,o.k the camera not so good but the younger generation love music mobiles an not many can beat the 5800 as the best music player mobile,just want to hear the speakers on the N8 as we know about everything else about the N8 but hope the Dolby speakers are top class

Old 11-08-2010, 09:52 AM

talhamid is on a distinguished road
"With the N8 on the way (honest!), with larger, brighter, capacitive screen, fast processor, graphics acceleration, more intuitive OS and far better camera/camcorder, and presumably with a QWERTY-equipped companion following, both the X6 and N97 mini"

Steve, you are a great guy and this is still my favorite tech site and all, but.... when you say 'more intuitive OS", I find myself reading all Symbian^3 previews and being forced to disagree. Similarly, 'fast' processor is relative. Sorry - the A-word again. I had HTC Legend and it NEVER slowed down on a 600 MHz processor. I guess we have to face it: throwing a faster processor at Symbian does not do anyone any good - it remains slow, clunky and prone to freezes. I find it hard to believe that when my N97 and 5800 froze on more than two web pages, N8 will zip at Android-like speeds with a barely adequate processor and half the RAM of other smartphones.

The proof is in the pudding though. It is just that I have lost faith and Nokia's care and diligence before releasing sets.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:54 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Why not add the C6 into the mix?

Problem with this model line is that there isn't really that much to differentiate them, at least not to the consumer.

Why do they really need to have ....
N97
N97 Mini
X6 (in 7 and 16gig variants)
5230 (and 5233, 5235)
C6

Which all have the same screen resolution, CPU, memory. Addition or removal of 3G, GPS, compass, and slightly differing cameras and a little memory really isn't enough to differentiate them.

There hasn't been a "high end" Symbian handset since the N95. The N86 could have taken that role, but it seems to be semi-ignored by Nokia these days.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:57 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by talhamid View Post
"With the N8 on the way (honest!), with larger, brighter, capacitive screen, fast processor, graphics acceleration, more intuitive OS and far better camera/camcorder, and presumably with a QWERTY-equipped companion following, both the X6 and N97 mini"

Steve, you are a great guy and this is still my favorite tech site and all, but.... when you say 'more intuitive OS", I find myself reading all Symbian^3 previews and being forced to disagree. Similarly, 'fast' processor is relative. Sorry - the A-word again. I had HTC Legend and it NEVER slowed down on a 600 MHz processor. I guess we have to face it: throwing a faster processor at Symbian does not do anyone any good - it remains slow, clunky and prone to freezes. I find it hard to believe that when my N97 and 5800 froze on more than two web pages, N8 will zip at Android-like speeds with a barely adequate processor and half the RAM of other smartphones.

The proof is in the pudding though. It is just that I have lost faith and Nokia's care and diligence before releasing sets.
Symbians touch layer was clunky, but if after having seen the videos you still think the N8 is clunky .... please try looking past the dull icons. Everything seems to zip by as fast as anything else on the market.

The N8 has a CPU thats probably close on twice as fast in real world usage than its S^1 predecessors, it has more memory, a truly class-leading GPU, and a totally re-written operating system.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post

The N8 has a CPU thats probably close on twice as fast in real world usage than its S^1 predecessors, it has more memory, a truly class-leading GPU, and a totally re-written operating system.
I doubt that ^3 is an OS with a new codebase, but has a redesigned UI with Qt integration. This is the difference that was required. Belwo the UI the OS is as good a mobile OS as any (although it doesn't have the similarity to desktop OS development, this is a price worth paying)

I'm sure that N8 is going to be sufficiently fast for it's mid-tier positioning. It won't take much to improve on the Android products out there, which are disappointing - but somehow that's OK because Android is the current flavour of the month.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:49 AM

mCrem is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Sorry.. but WHAT?! Throwing a faster processor at symbian DOES do it good.. Just look at i8910 with custom FW. not one out of mem error, not one app crash since my 1.3 years of ownership (I was one who got the phone on launch date), Everything is pretty zippy. Your post makes no sense at all. UI is clumsy and clunky, but its definitely not slow.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Agreed. The slowdowns on the N97 and similar devices were mainly to do with not enough RAM. The i8910 HD and Satio/Vivaz and N8 all have plenty of RAM and things progress far more smoothly.

I have high hopes for the N8 - its browsing won't be Android-quality and it won't match the iPhone for 3rd party apps, but it'll knock the ball out of the park in most other areas.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:19 AM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
I agree with Steve about removing the i8190 due to its 'geek' status. If Samsung had actually supported their product the way Nokia does, and hence included in theis race, it would be head and shoulders above all other comers in this 'flagship' contest.

Remember, its STILL the ONLY Symbian 5th edition device that can play Steves Phones Show, VGA version.

Last edited by UKJeeper; 11-08-2010 at 11:26 AM.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:19 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Just my opinion...
I had both... and I mean, 5800, X6 and N97 mini, not at same time... Im not rich, and search always second hand, if possible!
I said "had" because I sold one by one all, because I just dont thing they are great devices.
Slow, very slow, so-so cameras, lens exposed, with freezes, sometime need to remove the battery, that one does not last long (with 3,5G navigation, GPS and some Joikuspot), X6 was a very fragile device, with lousy construction, and all low on ergonomics.
I return, once again, always, to N82... at least that one its always ready for all duty. But N82 was a 2007 product
Now... Well I go try an E72... maybe it can fulfill my requirements (it should be fast, it have almost a 3x faster processor that the one on N82).
If that one, also fail on my daily use, I must search on other side... Android seems the green field.

Last edited by nj7; 11-08-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Ads

Old 11-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Unregistered

I think you're being a bit harsh on the vivaz. I've had one for about 5 months and find it stable and relatively easy to use. I quite like the panel homescreen as it allows you to load any swf file which means I can see my emails and calendar using the roadsync flash panel and have the notes application (similar to the uiq version on g900) on another. You can then have instant access to these rather than having to load up seperate applications. The pictures and videos from the camera are pretty good aswell.

If you mean a mess by having kinetic scrolling in the panels and media application but not in menus then this is not too big a hurdle and is something you get used to pretty quickly.