All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 17-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
N8 Nokia Messaging demo, N8 pre-orders in USA

One of the most under-rated features of the Nokia N8 is its new email client, in the form of an upgraded version of Nokia Messaging. The Nokia Messaging team, in a blog post and video, talk about some of the key improvements, which include full HTML email support, improved device integration, easier set up and settings configuration, portal address lookup for GMail and Hotmail and improved performance characteristics. Also in N8 related news is the availability of N8 pre-orders through the Nokia USA web store.

Read on in the full article.

Old 17-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Unregistered

Is mail for exchange integrated into nokia messaging ? or is this a seperate client. i have not seen a demo for this.

Old 17-08-2010, 07:48 PM

Dazzy is on a distinguished road
Retail price of N8 brings it very close to some of the top end Android devices, wonder will this effect it's sales.

Old 17-08-2010, 08:19 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Wow, with tax included that's approaching unlocked Droid/iPhone territory, or a cheap laptop.

Meh. Outside of Nokia enthusiasts here, I don't think it'll do much. Most people won't buy a pricey phone sight unseen, without being able to get their hands on it.

At the end of the day, without a retail presence, it'll mostly get ignored over here.

Old 17-08-2010, 08:40 PM

smcmanus is on a distinguished road
What about VoIP?

I haven't heard anything out SIP integration. I have a VoIP phone system at home (a Snom M3), and have it integrated with PBXes, and a Calling provider, and have 2 of our 3 Cell Phones on a WAN HOME SIP network.

And it would be a big downer if the SIP client sort of slipped through the cracks.

Steve M (Not L)

Old 17-08-2010, 10:12 PM

RollerSMB is on a distinguished road
Looks to me like the delay was due to retrieving the email, which would make sense. When clicking on an email that already had the open envelope (eg, the html one later on), it opened quite speedily.

And seriously, why do you troll these forums? Is this in response to some anti Apple sentiment you've experienced elsewhere? I personally am looking forward to the n8, but the iPhone 4 is a great piece of kit too. Maybe instead of writing negative sentiment on non-apple device forums, you could start a blog about the positive experiences you've had with the iPhone 4, am sure there would be heaps to write about, eg, the stellar app store, awsome screen etc. Just saying.

Old 17-08-2010, 11:12 PM

jb8967 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Nokia, e-mail client looks very good

Another reason for me to get PNHT's port of the C6 firmware to my Nokia 5800XM. Along with homescreen widgets, this will once again improve on an already reliable and capable device. The 5800XM will have plenty of longevity left, though it will become my backup phone when the N8 arrives! As a satisfied customer of the current e-mail client, very much look forward to these improvements. THX's Nokia!

Old 18-08-2010, 12:33 AM

Hassan is on a distinguished road
I wish they could had rid of that stupid keyboard (Pad) where it covers the whole UI plus a little green tick.

Old 18-08-2010, 02:14 AM
Unregistered

"Supports 250 messages in the inbox Up from 100 in the current clients"

Why is the limit even there?

Blackberries having issues with more in the inbox.

Old 18-08-2010, 07:36 AM
Unregistered

Where is Exchange support?
But then the demo of server-side addressbook look-up with gmail the title changes to Mail for Exchange suddenly..
Support for MfE or not? Support for Gmail-contactlist look-up or not??

Old 18-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Unregistered

No

"Retail price of N8 brings it very close to some of the top end Android devices, wonder will this effect it's sales."

No, it doesn't. The Samsung Galaxy S (the only Android device that matches the N8 in performance), costs around 750$ UNLOCKED. The N8 is around 590$ UNLOCKED.

Old 18-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Unregistered

Is this a real IMAP client???

I sure hope it's not the man-in-the-middle service by Nokia Email. It's 2010 already! It would be good for Nokia to finally build a real IMAP client that supports the open and very mature IMAP protocol like Profimail, and support all these UI features still. The email support has been so backwards in that the backend architecture is horrible, but the UI is kind of nice, compared to the rest of Symbian where the underlying is actually solid, but the S60 is a wreck. I hated how sending email was tied to the sync setting of the app - I turned off Send/Receive soonest on the current Nokia Email client because it was a real battery drain, but what I really wanted was to only receive every 30 min, but send immediately. Is it so hard to tie the client to the connection availability of the phone - basically don't try to connect/send/etc when no connectivity is available, and then send/receive as soon as connectivity returns. You know, like how the phone/SMS works, SINCE WE'RE TALKING ABOUT A PHONE!! I still use my old Nokia's, but if this really is the case, this is another example of how out of touch Nokia software engineering is.

-Gene

Old 18-08-2010, 01:16 PM
KPOM

Nokia needs to get this onto a carrier pretty quickly if they want it to sell in the US. Americans have shown time and time again that they are willing to buy smartphones, but don't want to pay $500 or more upfront to get one. At $549 unlocked, it could go for $199 on contract, which would make it potentially attractive against the iPhone and popular high-end Android devices, though the relative lack of app support for Symbian will hurt it.
Ads

Old 18-08-2010, 01:31 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
I've left the baiting until now. However it's getting out of hand. I have removed the off topic, flaming posts. Any further ones will also be removed.

Old 18-08-2010, 02:48 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
Nokia needs to get this onto a carrier pretty quickly if they want it to sell in the US. Americans have shown time and time again that they are willing to buy smartphones, but don't want to pay $500 or more upfront to get one. At $549 unlocked, it could go for $199 on contract, which would make it potentially attractive against the iPhone and popular high-end Android devices, though the relative lack of app support for Symbian will hurt it.
Totally agree. Even the Nexus One, with the backing of the Android app Marketplace didn't move many units at around the same price point, funny enough.

The N8 with fewer apps and much less U.S. based content and the more Euro-centric Ovi Store, isn't going to move many units. I haven't heard that the Nuron or E73 Mode sold much on T-Mobile USA.

Most people here likely look through Ovi and see BBC iplayer and ESPN Soccernet, and pretty much give up on it.