All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-10-2010, 10:43 PM

SnaxMuppet is on a distinguished road
C7 constant restarting

I have a C7 and it is restarting on its own. It have only had the phone for 1 day and it has restarted about 10 times so far.

It always happens when I go in to Maps but it also restarts when it is just in the screensaver sitting on my desk.

I have tried a hard reset but it is still the same.

Should I send this phone back or should I just wait a while to see if a firmware/software update fixes it?

If I have to send it back so soon I will be really cheesed off.
Ads

Old 01-11-2010, 12:02 PM

Actions taken so far:

1) Soft reset
2) Hard reset
3) Reload firmware via Ovi Suite

This lost me Ovi Maps, Ovi Store and Nokia Social and some widgets

Tried to get them back via the web site and the C7 is not listed as being compatible so I assume that the web site has not yet been updated for the C7.

Visited my local Nokia Care Centre. This was a branch of Carphone Warehouse and they were dfficult to say the least. The result was they recommended me return to the phone to Nokia.

Called Nokia support. They ran through what I have already done and then agreed that the phone was so new that my only option is to wait for t next software update!

So, I have paid nearly 400 for a phone that is not yet ready for the marketplace. I am very angry with Nokia. It looks like the N8 may have the same problem if you reinstall the firmware... and after all the delays with Nokia saying the wait was to ensure it was all 100% at launch.

If this is not resolved on the next firmware update (when ever that is - they couldn't tell me) then it is going back.

I am very angry... did I say that? Ah yes, sorry!

Old 01-11-2010, 12:25 PM

N8Owner is on a distinguished road
My first N8 had exactly the same fault as the one you describe. I exchanged it for another and this one has been solid and not rebooted once. It has been switched on for 5 days and I have been playing a lot with it and no crashes to report. You might therefore also have one 'made on Friday' phones.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:03 PM

Thanks.

I contacted Nokia to request to return it for a refund. They had the cheek to say that I would not get my shipping refunded! In the UK the law is clear: if a supplier sells a faulty item then they must refund shipping. I argued and now they arerefunding shipping.

I will try an N8 and see if I have any more luck with that... it was a very close call for me to go for the C7 or N8 anyway!

Old 01-11-2010, 02:56 PM

timallen is on a distinguished road
Nokia C7 restarting

Hi SnaxMuppet

I'm very sorry to hear about this - something is indeed not right with your Nokia C7. We would really like to get your device back so that we can understand what's going on.

If you could possibly get in direct contact with me, I will make arrangements to swap your device.

Thanks

Old 01-11-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timallen View Post
Hi SnaxMuppet

I'm very sorry to hear about this - something is indeed not right with your Nokia C7. We would really like to get your device back so that we can understand what's going on.

If you could possibly get in direct contact with me, I will make arrangements to swap your device.

Thanks
And who are you? Asking another user for this kind of transaction requires you to show that you work for Nokia. Are you working for them and if so where? Have you been vetted by AAS? You joined today so please forgive me if you are genuine but we need answers please.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8Owner View Post
And who are you? Asking another user for this kind of transaction requires you to show that you work for Nokia. Are you working for them and if so where? Have you been vetted by AAS? You joined today so please forgive me if you are genuine but we need answers please.
Don't worry. He is obviously a fraud. Just ignore him and he will go away... if he hasn't already!

Old 01-11-2010, 03:33 PM

Good, I didn't want you to get ripped off. Glad Nokia are sorting out the problem with your phone. Let us know how it goes.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:00 PM

Thanks N8Owner.

Well the Nokia saga goes on... I tried to order an N8 this afternoon but their computer system has blocked my account. They don't know why and it takes 3-5 days to clear my order history before I can order again.

So I have changed my mind yet again (Iknow... you don't have to say it!)... I am now getting my C7 replaced instead of the refund and N8.

Well I did say it was a close call and the truth is that I would be more than happy with either. I prefer the styling and memory of the C7 but prefer the camera on the N8.

If the next C7 doesn't work I might then try the N8 - or I might get an HTC Desire!

Old 01-11-2010, 05:41 PM

Well the C7 is 95% of the N8 for a lot less cost so I think it is a good phone. I told my sister to get that but she ignored me and got an N8. Everyone wants the great camera it seems.

The Desire is also very nice phone (although the HD version is too big IMO) with some very good touches and innovations plus very well intergrated into everything Google and the social apps. Also look at the Samsung Wave (good 5mp camera with a bright LED). It's based on Bada OS and my wife has that one and very happy. Lots of reviews out there.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:03 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Strangely enough 'TimAllen's IP address appears to come from Irving, Texas on a 'Nokia Group Network'. So I'm not kicking him, yet. But i will keep an eye on his posts. Course if he really wanted to be Tim Allen, he'd be in Michigan .

Last edited by UKJeeper; 02-11-2010 at 07:49 AM.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:15 PM

Hi UKJeeper

I can't comment on my IP location since I don't know how corporate networks allocate IP addresses and that might be misleading... but my physical location is Nokia UK, Farnborough, Hampshire.

Sorry for the lack of formal introduction earlier, but my name is Tim Allen and I am the Product Manager responsible for Nokia C7.

I sent a PM to SnaxMuppet proposing how to proceed with his problem. Let's see how he gets on tomorrow.

Tim

Old 01-11-2010, 07:40 PM

Well I do know your office in Farnborough so happy to give you the benefit of the doubt. If you are genuine we as users appreciate the membership of Nokia staff here who might be able to help.

So, Tim, what is the situation with the lack of availablity of Qt for re-installation by end-users after a hard reset, and why haven't Nokia either bundled it with the firmaware re-install option or a standalone download?

Secondly, on my hard reset I also lost all the Web Video Widgets, photos and videos that came preinstalled. Can these be downloaded again or is this only available by bringing the phone for a reflash - which isn't really worth the trip for me.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:59 PM

Tim, if you are the Tim Allen, Nokia C7 Product Manager, then I apologise for suggesting your could be a fraud!

I have replied to your PM now. Thanks.

I fear that you are too late though... I have now sent the offending C7 back using the Nokia Care RMA process.

I am interested in the answers to the questions N8Owner raises though (as mentioned in my PM).

Old 02-11-2010, 07:14 PM

Hi N8Owner

Well certainly some of the preloaded content will be deleted when you do a hard reset. Some of that can be reinstalled (eg Maps) but it's not as easily done as it could be, and at the moment it isn't possible to reinstall all the orginal content (eg wallpapers, videos etc).

We are actively looking at how to make that content available through Ovi Store, as a convenient place to go. The challenge is in making it easy and clear for the user to get the correct content, since the preloaded content varies over time and between (geographical) regions. We wouldn't want to package too much content together, since that could burden the user with a potentially very large download. But at the same time we want it to be convenient, and would like to avoid the "clumsy" posting of zip files on Nokia Discussions boards - it works (just) but it isn't easily maintained.

If you have particular thoughts as to how this could be organised, I'd be really pleased to hear that. But in any case, I will post back when I have an update.

Tim