All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-10-2007, 11:59 AM

nickmon is on a distinguished road
Firmware newbie 5 Questions

Ok, I am new to the whole firmware thing and I have some very basic questions about it:

1. What is firmware?
2. How do i check my firmware version?
3. How do I know if it needs updating?
4. How do I update my firmware?
5. Does updating my firmware wipe everthing else on the phone? (and if so will I have to re-enter my network settings for SMS, MMS etc?)

Thanks

Old 25-10-2007, 12:33 PM

Mithent is on a distinguished road
1. Firmware is the software that is built into the phone - it contains all the information the phone uses to work, and all the built-in programs like Web and Contacts. A firmware update usually fixes bugs in the phone, and can add new features (like the N95 V12 firmware adds assisted GPS, for faster GPS lock times).

2. You can check the firmware version by typing *#0000# into the phone on the standby screen. The firmware version is the first line.

3. You need to install Nokia Software Updater: http://europe.nokia.com/A4579163
Run this while your phone is connected to your PC in PC Suite mode and it will tell you your current firmware version and whether there's an update. You might not be offered the very latest Nokia firmware if you have a 'branded' handset from a network, since the network will often want to modify and test the firmware first. It's possible to 'debrand' a phone and install generic Nokia firmware, but you should not restore a backup if you do and it may affect your warranty with the network.

4. You use the Nokia Software Updater program as described.

5. Yes, you will lose everything in the phone memory - but before you do the update, you should first back up your phone to PC Suite (and ideally to the microSD card as well, if you have one, as a safety measure). After the update you can restore from PC Suite to get all your settings and data back.

Old 25-10-2007, 12:33 PM

shanespencer is on a distinguished road
Hi! I'll try to answer as best as I can, but I'm sure others will be along shortly to add info (or correct mine!)

Quote:
1. What is firmware?
Firmware is the OS, or software that your phone is running on.

Quote:
2. How do i check my firmware version?
Press the following on your phone:

*#0000#

[quote]
3. How do I know if it needs updating?[quote]

Your phone doesn't necessarily need updating, it's entirely up to you. It is often advisable to update when a newer firmware becomes available though, for the new features. be warned though; sometimes a new firmware fixes some bugs and introduces others!

Quote:
4. How do I update my firmware?
It can be simple matter of connecting your phone to your PC and running Nokia Software Updater. If you have a branded handset and wish to remove the branding whilst updating your firmware, then it involves a bit more work, but it's still relatively painless.

Quote:
5. Does updating my firmware wipe everthing else on the phone? (and if so will I have to re-enter my network settings for SMS, MMS etc?)
Updating your firmware will reset your phone, so it's vital you back up all your photos, music, contacts etc. My N95 automatically downloads the settings for SMS, GPRS etc from Orange. Yours could well do the same. If not, you can get the details from your network's website.

Hope that helps!

Old 25-10-2007, 12:35 PM

shanespencer is on a distinguished road
Beaten by Mithent

Just as an addition though, if you backup your phone and then change product code when updating, don't restore from the original backup. It could cause your phone to spit out error messages.
Ads

Old 25-10-2007, 12:37 PM

Mithent is on a distinguished road
Good point about not necessarily 'needing' to update though!

If you do update, you should make sure that the phone is fully charged and don't disconnect it during the update.