All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 15-01-2009, 07:35 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
PC Suite adds Contact groups, Call management and full Calendar

You might want to check your copy of Nokia PC Suite. Version 7.1 is now available (v7.1.18.0, to be exact) and includes the following extra functionality: arranging the contacts on your phone into contact groups, starting a phone call to a contact, and having full access to your phone's Calendar in a special new view. If the auto-update doesn't work, here's the download page.

Read on in the full article.
Ads

Old 15-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Unregistered

I think I've had it for a while o.O

Old 15-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Unregistered

me too

Old 15-01-2009, 08:24 AM

alsiladka is on a distinguished road
I guess something went wrong here Steve. PC Suite 7.1 has been out for nearly a month now!

How come an entry on it today?

Old 15-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Hmm..... that version was announcing itself as of this morning via the auto-notification system. On my Windows laptop anyway. Nokia must have flipped a switch somewhere.... I've noticed they tend to release updates for various things on the quiet, so that the tech blogs get news up and they get feedback from the geeks - and then, a few weeks later, if nothing's blown up they go and announce the thing officially 8-)

Old 15-01-2009, 10:32 AM

Micky! is on a distinguished road
Nokia are well known for late announcements. Take the N96 V12 firmware announcement for a recent example of this. Today Nokia announces V12 when its been available for quite a while.

This version of PC Suite I too have been using for a while Steve..

Here's my covering article from the 11th of December..

http://www.nokiausers.net/General/No...-Download.html

Old 15-01-2009, 10:59 AM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Yeah, it's been the official release version for nearly a month now Steve... but hey, keep the news coming, it's nice to see reminders now and then, even if for poor you, it's only indicating things now.

On a somewhat different note, but related...

Advice for any users wanting to run PC Suite on the Windows 7 Beta...

This CAN be done, but you need to get it right first time, as you only get ONE stab at it...

Download the full installation package to your Desktop in Windows 7...

RIGHT click on the installer, and choose "Troubleshoot Compatibility" (the great new 'fix' tool that W7 contains).

As you progress through the wizard, choose the options for "This ran in a previous version of Windows" AND the one for "this application requires additional permissions". Then, when asked what version of Windows, choose Vista, as this should be fine.

Once the Troubleshooter has worked it's magic, the Installer should self-start.

Finish/close off the Troubleshooter if so, by saying the settings worked, when asked.

ADDITIONALLY, once actually installed, you might get more stable results if you close down PC Suite, then locate it's Launcher in the Start Menu, right click on it, and run the very same Troubleshooter for the Launcher, as you just did for the Installer - to set it up with the same options.

Then, click to Launch, and it should work fine.

THE BIG ISSUE is that if you download the installer, and first run it/click on it, in a normal way, and PC Suite tells you it is not for that version of Windows, then it is TOO LATE is seems for many, to then try again and run in Compatibility mode.

You MUST run the Compatibility Troubleshooter on the installer file the very first time, do NOT accidentally try it the normal way first...

Hope this helps everyone.

If you download the Software Updater installer, or the Map Loader application etc too, apply the very same process to these too - both the installers, AND the Launchers once installed.

If you do, they should all work flawlessly - they do for me, even on the 64 Bit version of Windows 7 - even to the tune of having carried out a full firmware update in Windows 7 - though not one for the faint-hearted just in case *lol*

Old 15-01-2009, 03:38 PM

ydant is on a distinguished road
further confusion

This whole PC suite vs. Ovi thing is just more confusing than it has to be.

Old 19-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Unregistered

Windows 2003 suppport

Why Nokia disabled instalation of PC Suite 7.1 on Windows 2003?
Is it so different from XP? I don't think so.
Oldest versions at least can be installed when you set compatibility mode, but this one requires XP SP2 which compatibility mode can not be set on Windows 2003.
Why Vista is supported but not windows 2003?
Is there reasonable reasons for this limitation other than that Windows 2003 is server OS?