All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #1  
Old 01-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Tzer2 Tzer2 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,204
Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Where is Sync on the Nokia 5800? Read this article to find out...

One of the most commonly-asked questions about the 5800 from advanced users is "Where the flipping heck is that flipping blue blistering blarndarsted flipping Sync flipping application on this flipping thing?" Well you'll be glad to know there is Sync on the 5800, and it is also very easy to access but you have to know where to look. As a special tip-of-the-day we've got a guide to finding Sync on the 5800 below.

Read on in the full article.

  #2  
Old 01-06-2009, 07:45 PM
sapporobaby sapporobaby is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 201
sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
A better question would be: "why use Sync at all when it doesn't really work properly"?

Ovi Sync is one serious disaster. If you want your contacts and calendars messed up, by all means use it. I will stick iSync as it is proven to work and currently supported. How can Nokia release a phone and not have support for it on Ovi. I refer to the E75.

Last edited by sapporobaby; 01-06-2009 at 07:49 PM.

  #3  
Old 01-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Tzer2 Tzer2 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,204
Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Sapporobaby, the Sync application isn't just for Ovi, it works with other sync providers too. For example if I go to "Change Sync Profile" in the Sync app, I get a choice of Ovi Sync, Saunalahti Sync, PC Suite Sync. (Saunalahti is a Finnish phone network operator.)

Even if you're not using Ovi, finding the phone's Sync application would still be useful, and it's annoying that Nokia have hidden the app so well.

(For what it's worth, Ovi Sync has worked fine with my 5800.)

  #4  
Old 01-06-2009, 09:49 PM
ladiko
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
i dont know the english menu entries but the sync app could be found under:

settings -> connections -> data transfer -> sync ...

  #5  
Old 02-06-2009, 03:07 AM
5800userrr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Angry So difficult to find

"There, easy when you know how!"

You call that easy? That's one of usability disasters in S60 5.0. Noone can find sync when buried so deep in menus. In fact sync should be automatic both ways so user never need to worry if data is up to date.
Ads

  #6  
Old 02-06-2009, 08:45 AM
sapporobaby sapporobaby is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 201
sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
@tzer2,

I know Saunalahti. Some of the Marines here in the embassy use it. It is just another MVNO. My concerns with Ovi are in regard to Nokia not having the service support some of its high-end handset (E75), nor the soon to be launched N97. How can not Nokia really make the claim that they are moving into services when the services simply are not there? Nokia should either make the decision to invest and really offer something of value or they should simply give up.

FWIW: The problems with Ovi syncing have been mentioned on several forums, even the official Nokia forum. If yours works, you are a lucky man.

  #7  
Old 02-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
What are all these so called problems with Ovi sync? Mine has been 100% perfect and synchronisation is also in the menus for the apps (for example contacts). It has always been straightforward. One of the biggest problems that Nokia face is all the people that seem to make everything difficult for themselves are the same type that are always moaning on the internet. Nokia need to find out who they are and blacklist them (make them buy a different phone).

I just asked my 8 year old to sync my phone, as an experiment. Took him about 30 seconds to work it out.

Duh!

  #8  
Old 02-06-2009, 10:00 AM
mjbr mjbr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 10
mjbr is on a distinguished road
I believe nokia needs feedback, even if mostly criticism... buying their phone is already a good enough compliment! i have a 5800... not long ago a tried to sync t phone. at first, it seemed to work well, but later i found out it didnt sync t FIXED-LINE phone numbers (home, work) I had in afew contacts. this is not acceptable, especially when nokia guarantees t ovi sync as a back up! after noticing that, i have not check in each contact of mine whether all their data were transfered, as i am not able to trust the service anymore for now..

  #9  
Old 02-06-2009, 11:09 AM
sapporobaby sapporobaby is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 201
sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What are all these so called problems with Ovi sync? Mine has been 100% perfect and synchronisation is also in the menus for the apps (for example contacts). It has always been straightforward. One of the biggest problems that Nokia face is all the people that seem to make everything difficult for themselves are the same type that are always moaning on the internet. Nokia need to find out who they are and blacklist them (make them buy a different phone).

I just asked my 8 year old to sync my phone, as an experiment. Took him about 30 seconds to work it out.

Duh!
My vote for the stupidest post and poster on the entire Internet (all of it). Why hide in the shadows of anonymity be proud and stupid in public.

Last edited by sapporobaby; 02-06-2009 at 11:20 AM.

  #10  
Old 02-06-2009, 11:11 AM
sapporobaby sapporobaby is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 201
sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbr View Post
I believe nokia needs feedback, even if mostly criticism... buying their phone is already a good enough compliment! i have a 5800... not long ago a tried to sync t phone. at first, it seemed to work well, but later i found out it didnt sync t FIXED-LINE phone numbers (home, work) I had in afew contacts. this is not acceptable, especially when nokia guarantees t ovi sync as a back up! after noticing that, i have not check in each contact of mine whether all their data were transfered, as i am not able to trust the service anymore for now..
Your post pretty much sums it up. Ovi is not a reliable backup of data. Sometimes telephone number completely disappear or contacts all together. Not to mention the site outages. Ovi is fine I guess as long as Nokia does not decide to start charging money for it. Ovi is not ready for prime time.

  #11  
Old 02-06-2009, 04:12 PM
JohnBoyWalton
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post
My vote for the stupidest post and poster on the entire Internet (all of it). Why hide in the shadows of anonymity be proud and stupid in public.
And your real name is sapporobaby right? Duh! I think you just stole the stupidest post prize.

Your reaction is a common one for people who have been stung by the truth. My post was tongue in cheek but your response shows I was closer to the truth than I thought.

And this whole hackneyed forum standard bleat about anonymity is really tired these days. It is so easy to put up any old name and post under it, I've no way of knowing who anybody really is so everybody is anonymous.

Especially 'sapporobaby'. The last four letters would seem rather appropriate though.

  #12  
Old 02-06-2009, 05:36 PM
sapporobaby sapporobaby is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 201
sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyWalton View Post
And your real name is sapporobaby right? Duh! I think you just stole the stupidest post prize.

Your reaction is a common one for people who have been stung by the truth. My post was tongue in cheek but your response shows I was closer to the truth than I thought.

And this whole hackneyed forum standard bleat about anonymity is really tired these days. It is so easy to put up any old name and post under it, I've no way of knowing who anybody really is so everybody is anonymous.

Especially 'sapporobaby'. The last four letters would seem rather appropriate though.
Wait are you actually that 8 year old you mentioned? You can spill the beans. Your worthless, and I am being generous here, comment about Ovi working applies to you and your experiences. In this forum I will tend to trust Tzer2 or Steve, or others with a bit more credibility (sorry you didn't make it). Maybe it is that sound you make when you look in the mirror. You know, "Duh!". Anyway, I think I explained my experiences with Ovi pretty well as did another poster who seemed to echo the same issues I am having. So, before you get in over your head, stay out of the deep end of the pool jBOYw. Class dismissed.

  #13  
Old 02-06-2009, 08:02 PM
buster buster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 350
buster is on a distinguished road
@ JohnBoyWalton

Bully for you. Aren't you clever?

I had no problem actually getting Ovi sync to work, except that after it had done, my Ovi calendar was suspiciously empty; that's the sort of reliability issues people are complaining about, not whether an 8 year old can actually carry out the necessary steps...

So, on an E90, it is quite easy to carry out a sync, but reliable it ain't!

  #14  
Old 03-06-2009, 06:51 AM
sapporobaby sapporobaby is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 201
sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
Hopefully Nokia will fix Ovi so that it represents more phones and become more stable.

  #15  
Old 03-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
sapporobaby, are you a complete idiot on every forum you visit?

Great article by the way, keep it up AAS!
 

Bookmarks

Tags
5800, article, nokia, read, sync

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[HOT][NEW] N80 RM-92 IE APAC PR v15.00 SW4.0632.0.38 juato4 Nokia N80 176 25-04-2007 03:19 PM



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:57 PM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy