All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-09-2009, 10:45 PM

digitalranger is on a distinguished road
E55 User Support Group

Hello,
I'm just to the end of my first evening with my new E55. Broadly, I like it, the screen and body are great. I'm already adjusting to the half-qwerty keypad. Although, the directory icons aren't indicated as directories, and this is really annoying while you're trying to learn your way around the menus.

I've just removed part of this post as I found the problem was due to human error!

Something new I've just discovered is that I don't seem to get a copy of e-mails I've sent on the Sent folder of my IMAP e-mail server. Can't find a setting to change this yet.

Although talking of e-mail I am very impressed that I can now move messages to other folders on my IMAP server.
(Author of "Analyser", "WhichCD" & "FileTidy" for Psion Series 3a/c/mx)

Last edited by digitalranger; 10-09-2009 at 09:02 PM.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:03 PM

Original post updated with corrections and new comments.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:33 PM

dstokoe is on a distinguished road
Well I've had mine one day and was enjoying it but it's died It reset itself and now just vibrates when I try to turn it on - nothing on screen or any sound. Tried pulling the battery, sim, memory card etc. and no joy.

Before sending it back I was hoping to try a hard reset as a last resort but either it's super-dead or the old call/*/3 trick doesn't work on this keyboard.

Anyone know?

Back to the trusty N95 8GB in the meantime...

Old 12-09-2009, 10:33 AM

I'm afraid I don't know how to do that. Really sorry to hear that it's died so quickly :-(

I had a charging problem at first, I was using a non-Nokia charging cable, but once I used the USB cable that came with the E55, it charged up fine.

A new niggle I've discovered is with the music application. On previous versions of S60 3rd, Music would scan the entirety of all drives for files. Although now, it only seems to be scanning one or two directory levels deep.

This isn't a problem for music collections, although I get podcasts onto my phone with synchronising the folder that my desktop podcatcher (Miro) downloads to with my phone's memory card. So then, all my podcasts are getting missed because each feed gets its own directory.

Being a linux user, I'm going to bash my head against the wall until I can come up with a bash script that will compensate for this. Although if I were a Windows user it would be a permanent problem for me.

However, all that said, I am really liking the E55. The keypad is brilliant. Takes a little getting used to, but once you do, the typing just flows more easily than it does with T9.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:23 PM

Something else is that I'm having trouble getting "expired certificate" applications installed. Simply switching the application install security to "All" and setting my clock back isn't working.

When I try to install things like Calcium and X-Plore, my phone actually says there might be an error with the certificate or that my phone's date might be set wrong!
Ads

Old 23-09-2009, 07:31 PM

I got mine replaced and it's been working for 2 days so fingers crossed this time!

This one seems much more solid, the silver surround creaked on the original and seemed loose but not on the new one.

An issue I've found is that if I add music via USB it doesn't appear in the media player list of songs, even when refreshed, no matter where I put them. If I send via Bluetooth from another phone it does show. Very odd :-/ I can actually play the USB loaded files as they appear under Search > My Content, Music and then they play as you'd expect. F/W update to fix that no doubt.

Old 23-09-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstokoe View Post
I got mine replaced and it's been working for 2 days so fingers crossed this time!

This one seems much more solid, the silver surround creaked on the original and seemed loose but not on the new one.

An issue I've found is that if I add music via USB it doesn't appear in the media player list of songs, even when refreshed, no matter where I put them. If I send via Bluetooth from another phone it does show. Very odd :-/ I can actually play the USB loaded files as they appear under Search > My Content, Music and then they play as you'd expect. F/W update to fix that no doubt.
Yes, I've noticed that the E55 Music application is a bit more 'fussy' than Music on my E51. I had the same problem as you when trying to find podcasts I'd loaded onto my memory card.

The old music app would detect music anywhere you stored it. My impression of the new one is that it will check every top level directory, but it will only go so many levels deep, at most three, I think. I presume you're using PC Suite, so check to see how it's organising your files.

I transfer music to my E55 via USB in Ubuntu with Rhythmbox, which sees my E55 as a portable music device. Rythmbox files MP3's under /Music/Artist/Album/*.mp3

Old 04-10-2009, 11:16 PM

davidgilson is on a distinguished road
Digitalranger here just posting to register my change of identity, seeing that I've now had a review published here on AAS.

Old 16-11-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalranger View Post
Yes, I've noticed that the E55 Music application is a bit more 'fussy' than Music on my E51. I had the same problem as you when trying to find podcasts I'd loaded onto my memory card.

The old music app would detect music anywhere you stored it. My impression of the new one is that it will check every top level directory, but it will only go so many levels deep, at most three, I think. I presume you're using PC Suite, so check to see how it's organising your files.
/Music/Artist/Album/*.mp3
Just to say that I've finally got to the bottom of this. It IS the fact that the files I'm putting on there are podcasts - it appears Music Player will only find 'normal' music tracks - how bizarre (and silly!).

Old 16-11-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstokoe View Post
Just to say that I've finally got to the bottom of this. It IS the fact that the files I'm putting on there are podcasts - it appears Music Player will only find 'normal' music tracks - how bizarre (and silly!).
What file format are your podcasts in?

I ask because it cannot be just because they're podcasts. As long as your podcasts are MP3 files, then MP3's are just MP3's. My podcasts do show up in my music application.

Just in case Music is filtering tag details, then try the following as a test, and please let me know what you find:
  • Before loading your podcasts onto your phone, change their genre tag to something other than "Podcast", e.g. "SpokenWord".
  • Then load them onto your phone and refresh your music library.

Let me know what you find.

Old 16-11-2009, 07:50 PM

daerragh is on a distinguished road
Hi. I can see there's new firmware E55. Has anyone successfuly hacked his updated handset?

Old 16-11-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daerragh View Post
Hi. I can see there's new firmware E55. Has anyone successfully hacked his updated handset?
Hacked?

Old 16-11-2009, 08:03 PM

daerragh is on a distinguished road
Hacked (cracked) with HelloOX or sth similar. The first E55 firmware is hackable (to hack means to disable certificate check when installing new software, it also unlocks system folders), but i don't know if the latest one is hackable too.

Last edited by daerragh; 16-11-2009 at 08:05 PM.

Old 16-11-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daerragh View Post
Hacked (cracked) with HelloOX or sth similar. The first E55 firmware is hackable (to hack means to disable certificate check when installing new software, it also unlocks system folders), but i don't know if the latest one is hackable too.
I see. Well, I don't know about this, but I find changing the date on the phone to be an adequate circumvention to certificate checks.

Old 16-11-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgilson View Post
What file format are your podcasts in?

I ask because it cannot be just because they're podcasts. As long as your podcasts are MP3 files, then MP3's are just MP3's. My podcasts do show up in my music application.

Just in case Music is filtering tag details, then try the following as a test, and please let me know what you find:
  • Before loading your podcasts onto your phone, change their genre tag to something other than "Podcast", e.g. "SpokenWord".
  • Then load them onto your phone and refresh your music library.

Let me know what you find.
Yep, that's it, thanks Dave! They are all mp3s but if the genre is left as "Podcast" is doesn't show in the Music App. Make it SpokenWord or even blank and it shows. Bizarre - what have they got against Podcasts on this phone? Is it just me or can you repeat it on yours?