All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 21-05-2010, 12:08 PM

raka is on a distinguished road
Still an unusable address search!

Besides all things mentioned already, they still haven't found a solution for the extremely quirky address search. It is not finding any address if you not exactly spell it correctly.

I'm sorry, but that's not acceptable - I do not always know exactly how street names have to be spelled.

Why not select from a live forming list, like Tomtom, Sygic, and many others?

Since 3.03 the user interface is somewhat better, but for in-car use there are still too many clicks and most interface elements (on my 5800) are way too small. They really have to learn a lot from their competition. And I do not see any progress here. Please Nokia, run faster!

Old 21-05-2010, 12:16 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5230 user View Post
When I upgraded to v20 (5230) a few weeks ago , Ovi maps 3.03 was instead installed at the D: drive , freeing a lot of precious C: drive space. Now I installed this 3.04 and it is installed in C Drive instead making it come down to 37MB from 52MB :( That's a lot of space I lost.
But then C: drive space isn't generally used that much. I think something else is using up that space though, its only something like 9meg of apps, and you've lost 15 meg of space.

Old 21-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Dardano

If says it's compatible with E71. Are you sure 3.4 is compatible with E71? I just checked at nokia and while i tried to download it was giving me 3.03.

Anyone please let us know when 3.4 is available on E71.

Old 21-05-2010, 03:47 PM

Hurlley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by malerocks View Post
If carriers dont let Nokia release the firmware to the phones, how is it Nokia's fault?
Nokia should stand up to them being the biggest phone manufacturer they should push their weight around, so its Nokia's fault. Apple don't seem to have a problem.
Ads

Old 21-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Unregistered

E 71 ????????

Old 21-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie999 View Post
I have tried to use Ovi Maps 3.03 (previous version to this), and have to say I am not very impressed on the route calculation. In fact, it took me 4 miles out of my way, to get to a place that was only 1 mile away from me, and I could even see a sign on the road on how to get there ... but I though I would give Ovi Maps a chance ..... but it was awful

I actually found that Garmin XT gave much better routing, and took me direct to the location.

Does this version have better routing.

Has anyone else found this with Ovi Maps?
To have Garmin style navigation,

Go to Settings -> Route -> always set Route selection to Faster route and don't change it forever,

Set Tunnel, Ferry, Toll road, Unpaved roads, Train ferry to No forever,

To change routes just set Freeway to either Yes for highway or No for side street.

Old 21-05-2010, 04:41 PM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
No 3.04 yet for E71...

@Steve etc.

Just to be the third or fourth person in this thread to also confirm, it is NOT yet available for the E71, if indeed it will be at all, despite what your article says.

Old 21-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Unregistered

Update Failed

When I try to update nokia maps on my N97 using nokia's update manager on the phone I get updated failed ,no explanation.I deleted v3.03 thinking it may be a space issue,still failed,have 29.5 mb of phone mem.I had lockup issues with the beta version of 3.4 so went back to official 3.3, but now since I can't update I have no nav.I have firmware up to date and everthing worked fine with 3.3. Suggestions much appreciated.Does anybody know where on the phone the downloaded file is stored,maybe if I deleted that and tried fresh using the usb cable it might work

SteveC

Old 21-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Unregistered

I'm going to assume that e71x users are still SOL with this release? ATT ftw!

Old 21-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Unregistered

NOKIA E52 - ovi maps 3.0.4

I have also problem with this new release it is unstable .. maps stop work many times during searching new route and my possition...than and I have to only remove battery and restart phone. I hope it is due to a "wifi unsupport " problem I turn it off and testing without it... but it is not good when Nokia release new version which is worst than older one.. for example .. GPS singnal strength signalization dissapear for meee.. :(:( wtf?::...

Old 21-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Stuntman

Ovi Maps 3.03 Routing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie999 View Post
I have tried to use Ovi Maps 3.03 (previous version to this), and have to say I am not very impressed on the route calculation. In fact, it took me 4 miles out of my way, to get to a place that was only 1 mile away from me, and I could even see a sign on the road on how to get there ... but I though I would give Ovi Maps a chance ..... but it was awful

I actually found that Garmin XT gave much better routing, and took me direct to the location.

Does this version have better routing.

Has anyone else found this with Ovi Maps?
I also have found the Ovi Maps routing to be inadequate at times. I live in Vancouver, B.C., Canada and found that Ovi Maps seem to put too great a weight on certain streets. When I used Ovi Maps to find a route from North Vancouver (city just north of Vancouver) to Richmond (city south of Vancouver) it tells me to drive east on Hastings through Vancouver city centre and then south on Granville out of the city centre towards Richmond. No one would drive through the heart of the city centre where the traffic is worse. There are a number of other streets that you can take that does not go through the worse traffic area of Vancouver.

I lived here all my life, so I generally know the best routes to take. I don't expect Ovi Maps or any other mapping software to choose the many shortcuts I know. However, I would reasonably expect that the mapping software not tell me to drive through the busiest and most congested area of the city.

I did some comparisons with two other mapping applications I have available to me. One is Google Maps and the other is the mapping software on the Blackberries. I do find that Ovi maps seem to give me worse routes than the other two. This does not happen all the time, but often enough to make me question the routing algorithm or more likely, the maps.

One thing I notice about Ovi Maps that seem to cause the issue for me is that the maps seem to weigh certain streets higher than other streets. You can see on the Ovi Maps that a few select streets are highlighted in yellow where as most of the other streets are white. If you need to travel in a direction parallel to one of these highlighted streets, Ovi Maps tends to direct you to use the highlighted street instead of a similar parallel street. Although, it is generally not an issue which street to use, sometimes it is best not to use the highlighted street since it may take you through the city centre.

I think that all mapping apps have their own flaws. With Google Maps, one of the routes it selected is for busses only. Google Maps seems to be the most up to date as it shows a newly built bridge in Metro Vancouver that neither Ovi or the Blackberry map shows. I find it unusual, that Google Maps seems to be the most up to date, and yet the routing does not know certain routes are not accessible except for public transit vehicles.

Now, even with the shortcomings that I've discovered with Ovi, I still think that it is still a pretty good app. I would use the routing app to drive in a city with which I am not familiar. I can get around Metro Vancouver without any problems on my own. I do plan a trip to other cities where I do plan to drive. I do feel confident that Ovi maps will be able to direct me to my destination. If it takes an extra few or several minutes, it wouldn't be that big of an issue as long as it directs me there.

There is one interesting feature of Ovi Maps that I have found. I noticed that when testing Ovi Maps, it seems to select different routes depend on the time of day. This indicates that it takes into account traffic patterns at different times and tries to select the best route for the time of day. I do think that Ovi maps can use a little tweaking, but overall it gets the job done for anyone not familiar with the city they are driving in.

Old 21-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
I also have found the Ovi Maps routing to be inadequate at times. I live in Vancouver, B.C., Canada and found that Ovi Maps seem to put too great a weight on certain streets. When I used Ovi Maps to find a route from North Vancouver (city just north of Vancouver) to Richmond (city south of Vancouver) it tells me to drive east on Hastings through Vancouver city centre and then south on Granville out of the city centre towards Richmond. No one would drive through the heart of the city centre where the traffic is worse. There are a number of other streets that you can take that does not go through the worse traffic area of Vancouver.

I lived here all my life, so I generally know the best routes to take. I don't expect Ovi Maps or any other mapping software to choose the many shortcuts I know. However, I would reasonably expect that the mapping software not tell me to drive through the busiest and most congested area of the city.

I did some comparisons with two other mapping applications I have available to me. One is Google Maps and the other is the mapping software on the Blackberries. I do find that Ovi maps seem to give me worse routes than the other two. This does not happen all the time, but often enough to make me question the routing algorithm or more likely, the maps.

One thing I notice about Ovi Maps that seem to cause the issue for me is that the maps seem to weigh certain streets higher than other streets. You can see on the Ovi Maps that a few select streets are highlighted in yellow where as most of the other streets are white. If you need to travel in a direction parallel to one of these highlighted streets, Ovi Maps tends to direct you to use the highlighted street instead of a similar parallel street. Although, it is generally not an issue which street to use, sometimes it is best not to use the highlighted street since it may take you through the city centre.

I think that all mapping apps have their own flaws. With Google Maps, one of the routes it selected is for busses only. Google Maps seems to be the most up to date as it shows a newly built bridge in Metro Vancouver that neither Ovi or the Blackberry map shows. I find it unusual, that Google Maps seems to be the most up to date, and yet the routing does not know certain routes are not accessible except for public transit vehicles.

Now, even with the shortcomings that I've discovered with Ovi, I still think that it is still a pretty good app. I would use the routing app to drive in a city with which I am not familiar. I can get around Metro Vancouver without any problems on my own. I do plan a trip to other cities where I do plan to drive. I do feel confident that Ovi maps will be able to direct me to my destination. If it takes an extra few or several minutes, it wouldn't be that big of an issue as long as it directs me there.

There is one interesting feature of Ovi Maps that I have found. I noticed that when testing Ovi Maps, it seems to select different routes depend on the time of day. This indicates that it takes into account traffic patterns at different times and tries to select the best route for the time of day. I do think that Ovi maps can use a little tweaking, but overall it gets the job done for anyone not familiar with the city they are driving in.
It helps to read post #36, brotha.

Old 22-05-2010, 03:28 AM
Unreg-2

Talking N86 is OK

I used Nokia Map Loader/OVI Suite on the PC to update my N86 that was connected thru USB. After a long time of downloads and updates, I discovered that the map version is still 3.03! So I used my Nokia N86 SW-Update directly and it only downloaded 8mb and installed Maps v3.04! WTF?!

Old 22-05-2010, 06:08 AM

kin869 is on a distinguished road
Works on N86 NAM

I just fired up the SW Update App on the phone and it found the update. It installed everything automatically with no problems and I somehow got an extra 1.2mb on my C:

It retained all of my favorites from before. Besides the sharper icons, I don't see any obvious changes in the interface or performance.

Old 22-05-2010, 06:55 AM

Micky! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS77 View Post
Is it not available for the Nokia N86?
Yes it is, although there is a known bug sadly, the bug is that the satellite icon remains displayed 24/7 after exiting maps.