All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
Swype for Symbian

So, anyone trying it... its available on betalabs.nokia.com and is a pretty cool feature for your N97/mini.

As with a beta, theres a few quirks/issues but still it speeds things up very nicely for texting/mailing etc

Mentioned in the AAS poscast too here

Old 09-09-2010, 11:18 AM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Stuck it on the Wife's Mini. Works very well, even she liked it. I liked teh fact that you had the option to use Swype on the onscreen keyboard, but if you wanted teh real keyboard and pulled it out, the screen would change to reflect this.

Shame it doesn't work on my i8910 (though i have read that certain people are already working in this...)
Ads

Old 09-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

yeah, it is good that it swaps, as it should do. Its a great function for them to be working on so hopefully they will have it ported across various handsets v soon.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:31 PM

fadi_k is on a distinguished road
yup its very nice but im still waiting for the swedish version

Old 10-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

yes, only a small language compat at the moment. :(

Old 20-09-2010, 12:55 AM

ROBSKI is on a distinguished road
I'm getting "file corrupt" when trying to load through PC Suite.

Old 20-09-2010, 06:05 PM

Stuntman is on a distinguished road
I just installed it on my N97 this past weekend. I'm going to give it a week. So far, my first impressions is that it does work for the most part. There is a learning curve to use Swype, so my typing speed is less than half that of using the qwerty keyboard.

A few things that bothers me initially is that it is difficult to correct errors. If in the middle of my Swype I mess up, I cannot press one button to delete the last word I typed. I seem to have to highlight the whole word or press backspace multiple times. Maybe I'm just not finding where I can delete the last word I typed or easily correct mistakes.

I got tired of the auto spacing and capitalisation. I know there is a known bug in the auto cap at the beginning of sentences. I actually liked it more when I have full control over caps, spacing and punctuation, so I turned off the auto spacing/caps.

If I do end up liking Swype, my next phone will not need a qwerty keybaord.

Old 26-09-2010, 01:48 AM

Stuntman is on a distinguished road
The swype experiment is over. I have concluded that I prefer my qwerty keyboard over swype. Granted I only used swype for a week while I used my qwerty for 6 months. I did try to use swype exclusively this past week.

I just find that swype is just annoyingly slow if I try to type anything that is not a word. I tend to enter non-word text often enough that I got fed up. Then there was the incident when I accidentally highlighted a bunch of text while capitalising and overwrote it. There is also that delay after typing every word to see if swype interpret the input correctly.

I will still leave swype on. It is useful if I happen to want to enter text while the phone is in my car mount. Swype just will not be my primary way to enter text on my phone.

Old 25-10-2010, 11:48 AM

MiltonKin is on a distinguished road
Cool Swype vs SlideIT

Couldn't get Swype from OVI to work on my new N8 so I download SlideIT keyboard from the OVI instead. SlideIT is awesome once you get the hang of it. Definitely a faster way to input text. I'm using it to write this post.