All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
SPB Mobile Shell launched

SPB Software launched SPB Mobile Shell a few minutes ago, a favourite of many on other mobile platforms, for Symbian, specifically for S60 5th Edition smartphones (and presumably compatible with Symbian^3 in months to come). Highlights of this replacement front-end are multiple customisable homescreens, widgets for tasks, agenda, weather (etc), photo contacts, app launcher, full kinetic scrolling, adaptive skins and support for OpenGL and a (somewhat mind-blowing) 3D carousel. Video, more details, links and screens below. Comments welcome once you've tried the trial version!

Read on in the full article.

Old 25-05-2010, 03:24 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Does it come with the great looking female friends? Especially like the one whose hair is blowing in the wind...

On a serious note, looks promising. The carousel seems too much eye candy (or should I say iCandy?) for me personally to stomach, but I am sure many a user will be happy.

Old 25-05-2010, 03:52 PM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
The question on the top of my mind right now is really how much of a memory hog is this thing. As we all know, RAM is not something we have a liberty of in our Nokias. If this eats a lot of RAM and also slows my phone, I would certainly not be interested in this, even if it were free.

Does anybody have any info?

Old 25-05-2010, 04:16 PM

carman58 is on a distinguished road
Shell = low ram !!

Just installed the free trial and my free ram dropped by over 20meg !!! Looks great but not sure if the N97 will even run with it installed, it does install to E so not all bad but will really slow things down, because as a piece of 'eye candy' it is very impressive. Shame :(

Old 25-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Unregistered

10mb of my precious and scarce RAM... Sorry but no way, although I'll miss the numeric keypad for contact search...

Old 25-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Unregistered

Installed on Nokia 5800 (with Ver 50. s/w) and only lasted 5 minutes before I got rid and went back to the default Nokia. Much too busy and confusing. Maybe if I give myself time to study it then it would seem to be more of a benefit. The standard Nokia interface might not ne too sexy but its pretty fast and if you've been using it for a while you can be where you want to be very quickly. So not for an old Nokia stick in the mud like me!

Old 25-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Unregistered

Wasn't this suppose to be called version 5?

Old 25-05-2010, 04:49 PM

Hih is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Excellent software. Suites great for N97 Mini.

It's like having Symbian^3.

Old 25-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Unregistered

I personally am very happy with Handy Shell

Old 25-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Unregistered

My default screen already shows me the majority of things I need to know (time, date, battery, signal, wifi, calendar, to-do, missed calls, text messages, voice mail, shortcuts) without taking up too much real screen estate, so looks nice but no thanks.
Ads

Old 25-05-2010, 06:05 PM
serious60

looks terrible

Anything that rolls the screen in when going from one menu level to another is retarded eye candy and misses the point that transitions should be there to guide you not to confuse.

However, looks like it capitalists on some of the awful UI decisions made for S605.0 which has to be a good thing.

Old 25-05-2010, 06:13 PM

carman58 is on a distinguished road
smooth

despite the massive loss of ram , it works so smoothly ! If only nokia could get the touch ui to work so well with the standard software ! Shows what the N97 could do (with double the memory) as it is , going to have to remove the shell to keep the phone functional :(

Old 25-05-2010, 06:15 PM

boxieblue is on a distinguished road
this is the last time anyone complains of Symbian OS's GUI not being as good as that of iPhone

Old 25-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up Runs well on my 5800

I just installed this on the c: drive on my 5800 and it looks like a really impressive piece of software. The kinetic scrolling is quicker than with the v5 firmware. The multiple home screens runs equally smoothly.

Old 25-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Unregistered

Should be native Symbian!

Very impressive video! Looks very similar in function to HTC's Sense UI. This should be the standard for Symbian!