All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 26-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Video: Anssi Vanjoki on the future for Symbian and MeeGo

In part 3 of our MWC interview Anssi Vanjoki, EVP of Markets at Nokia, we discuss the future. How Symbian will, "for the great masses of the world the first computer they will have will be an extension of the phone based on Symbian". How MeeGo's rich contextual crossing of the real and virtual world will use a map based user interface will create "the possibility for people to live in the media."
In the second half we hear about the three"buckets" (types) of competitors, the importance of open standards and ecoystems and a three-fold answer to how we should judge Nokia's future business performance (KPIs).

Read on in the full article.

Old 26-02-2010, 04:13 PM

Driq is on a distinguished road
Bla bla bla....after watching the symbian^4 UI demo video...I'm ashamed of being a symbian fan. After working for the last 2 years ,this is what you give us? I can go on and on and on....but i won't...because nothing will change....
PS. Nokia...Please stop hiring wrong ppl for the wrong job...

Driq
A former fan.

PS2. I'll never buy any nokia phone from now on.

Old 26-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Unregistered

??? 2X part 1

The video links is confusing. I do not now which is part 1 as both links are labeled part 1.

Old 26-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I have now updated this. Part 1 was the first one, part 2 was the second one. You can watch them independently though - doesn't really matter as it is divided up by subject area.

Driq - I don't think I would make any purchase decision until I saw a product. Besides I think saying nothing will change shows a lack of understanding of what is going on with the platform. You do realise that it should be taken as a demo of the UI framework at best...

Old 26-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Unregistered

More of the same BS. More buzzwords, and crap talk while Apple, RIM, Android just march along delivering better and better products. I will not say that Nokia is dead but they are not going anywhere forward too soon. They lost my high-end flagship dollars.

Old 26-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Unregistered

n5800xm cis2

Well, simply just like losing your religion..., throwing ball to Asia, let them play a bit to and goodbye!

Wot mr.Vanjoki says is already in a app Nulaz, Mogree and RockeTalk mix with googlemaps?

We have got this things, just to much...!

Old 26-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Jimmy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driq View Post
Bla bla bla....after watching the symbian^4 UI demo video...I'm ashamed of being a symbian fan. After working for the last 2 years ,this is what you give us? I can go on and on and on....but i won't...because nothing will change....
PS. Nokia...Please stop hiring wrong ppl for the wrong job...

Driq
A former fan.

PS2. I'll never buy any nokia phone from now on.
Yeah, pretty much. I still own a Nokia 6650 on AT&T that I use as a second beater phone, due to its fantastic battery life, so I know the company can make great 'basic phones'.

I've lost faith in their ability to deliver a great, polished, high end handset out of the gate, though. Regarding that Symbian^4 UI video: is THAT what the SF has been working on all this time? Really? And by the time it's even released, Android will be on version 4, along with the next iteration of the iPhone, Blackberry and the new Windows Phone.

Honestly, for their high end devices, Nokia should just buy Palm already (since as of today, Palm is on its death bed) to get at WebOS and slap it on their premium phones.

Old 26-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
Yeah, pretty much. I still own a Nokia 6650 on AT&T that I use as a second beater phone, due to its fantastic battery life, so I know the company can make great 'basic phones'.

I've lost faith in their ability to deliver a great, polished, high end handset out of the gate, though. Regarding that Symbian^4 UI video: is THAT what the SF has been working on all this time? Really? And by the time it's even released, Android will be on version 4, along with the next iteration of the iPhone, Blackberry and the new Windows Phone.

Honestly, for their high end devices, Nokia should just buy Palm already (since as of today, Palm is on its death bed) to get at WebOS and slap it on their premium phones.
Perhaps Nokia should have kept their Symbian^4 video that offers an early peek at some elements of the UI framework (not by a long way is it supposed to be a demo of a finished Symbian^4 phone). Because some people are assuming wrongly that this is what to expect. The short vid is not even up to what is demoed on Symbian^3 preview videos. It is simplistic to prejudge what will arrive. People are looking for prettiness when it is usability and productivity that are important. The video doesn't offer much of a clue to those.

As for Palm, I see no point in Nokia buying such a dismal failure. I haven't seen a single Pre being used in public. Either nobody is buying them or people are ashamed.

Old 26-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Jimmy1

Well, the point in buying Palm isn't to get into the business of selling more Pres.

The most valuable part of the company is the software, in particular WebOS. It would be the perfect marriage of a hardware company that can't do software (Nokia) with a company with great software who can't get the hardware right (Palm).

Old 26-02-2010, 09:35 PM
fakefur

are you guys censoring comments now??!!??

my comment earlier is not showing up here ... what up with that??
Ads

Old 26-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Unregistered

Symbian^4

Is Symbian^4 out yet? No, not even close. And you're basing your judgement on a 60 seconds long video?

Fancy animations, prettiness and pazzazz of the UI can be added later on during the UI development -- it's least complicated thing about UI design. What UI designer need to focus first is on the basic usability, consistency and stability aspects. And those things can be obviously not be recognized on a 60s video.

Oh how some people are simple-minded these days...

Old 26-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Founder / Chief

Last unregsitered - exactly right on the Symbian^4 framework demo. It has got a lot of development time left in it... its not a productised version etc.

And as for saying Nokia can't do software - err - the current Symbian UI may not measure up, but UI is just one element (feel like a broken record saying this). Moreover you don't get to be number 1 in mobile by being bad at software... You can say the same thing about Symbian too. I know people love to kick Nokia and I do think there are some issues at the high end (but all the players have issues), but people should also recognise that the numbers really do speaks for themselves.

Besides which the software creation process is different (it's an open world now) under the Symbian Foundation - perhaps we should see what they come up with when it makes it into products.

The Pre has some fresh ideas, but from a technical point of view the underlying lower level technology isn't very elegant... i.e. its in the ideas not the implementation. I would think it's more likely RIM would buy Palm.

No we don't censor comments. It may have tripped the automatic spam filters though - feel free to repost it.

Kind of suprising that no one picked up on the interesting elements in the comment... Maps as a generic UI (and clearly we talking about a different level to anything available today). Regardless of what you think about Nokia they are number 1 and on that basis alone people should pay attention when they talk about the future.

Old 27-02-2010, 12:32 AM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
I'll admit i dont feel nokia has ever been good at anything software, and i'm a nokia fanboy. But their threaded text app conversations STILL isnt available, and it was never that great to begin with. We've been waiting years for a good email client with html email. Their ovi store debuted without the ability to redownload the app if installation fails. These are FUNDAMENTAL issues that should never have been allowed to happen if you were good at software.
heck even though ovi maps is good, its taken them quite a many number of years for maps to get there.

How many services have had similar issues? Ngage. I can go on and on. I'm not trying to bash nokia without merit. But their strength has always been good hardware, phone with a decent camera. Its NEVER been software. Thats why it boggled my mind when nokia wanted to transition themselves into a software/services company; the one area that they lacked the most in my opinion.

Old 27-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Jimmy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
I'll admit i dont feel nokia has ever been good at anything software, and i'm a nokia fanboy. But their threaded text app conversations STILL isnt available, and it was never that great to begin with. We've been waiting years for a good email client with html email. Their ovi store debuted without the ability to redownload the app if installation fails. These are FUNDAMENTAL issues that should never have been allowed to happen if you were good at software.
heck even though ovi maps is good, its taken them quite a many number of years for maps to get there.

How many services have had similar issues? Ngage. I can go on and on. I'm not trying to bash nokia without merit. But their strength has always been good hardware, phone with a decent camera. Its NEVER been software. Thats why it boggled my mind when nokia wanted to transition themselves into a software/services company; the one area that they lacked the most in my opinion.
I'm with you, Roger. I'm also a fan of Nokia's hardware; software has never been their strong point though, which is more of a pickle considering that it's where smart phones are at now, an emphasis on the OS and available applications.

And don't think I'm an Apple fanboy; I would love to see an N97 Mini form factor Nokia phone, running, say, the new Windows Phone 7 OS.

Old 27-02-2010, 01:24 AM
Unregistered

It's funny how some of you say Nokia has bad software, yet they are number one. You people always take shots at Nokia, yet they continue to be number one time and again. The video on symbian^4 was a DEMO ONLY. It's not a finished product, yet. Please, understand what you see and read before making half-baked comments.