All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-07-2009, 05:28 PM
KPO'M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The iphone has been a success because of hype and the ipod branding which follows on from the ipod's own success. Touchscreen on mobiles is a fad and will fare better in the long run on devices like the ipod touch and dedicated media players, already more and more companies are turning to qwerty keyboards on handsets.
Try using the iphone's interface to text after a few drinks..
I'm also flabbergasted as to how much stick Nokia has been getting over the N97. Are people saying that combining a touchscreen interface with a qwerty keyboard and a 5mp camera isn't innovative?
Combining a touchscreen with a QWERTY keyboard is nothing new. Palm did that with the Treo, and LG has plenty of such devices. 5 mp cameras are also commonplace now.

My guess is that the touchscreen is here to stay. The variants will be phones with physical keyboards and those without. Some things, such as GPS or opening applications, are just easier to do with touchscreens than with joysticks, sliders, or d-pads.

Old 19-07-2009, 05:42 PM
KPO'M

Quote:
The iphone has been a success because of hype and the ipod branding which follows on from the ipod's own success.
ROKR was a disaster, even though it was introduced by Steve Jobs at a special Apple event and had the benefit of the iPod's success. I think the iPhone is a success because it delivered everything people expected from an Apple phone (great iTunes integration), and wowed them with the multi-touch screen and ease of use. If I look back at the earliest analyses of the iPhone from June 2007 after its release, I see plenty of acknowledgement of the original phone's weaknesses (lack of MMS and copy-and-paste, no third-party applications, no 3G, no GPS), but a prediction that it would be easier for Apple to add what was missing from the iPhone than it would be for Apple's competitors to reproduce Apple's software achievement. 2 years on, and the closest is WebOS, which has just been released. In the meantime, Apple has addressed almost every one of iPhone's original weaknesses (lack of a flash for the camera being the main one left), and has vaulted to a commanding lead in terms of third-party applications. As an owner of an N97, I am impressed with Apple's accomplishments and think that Nokia could learn a lot from them as it attempts to reclaim the high end of the market.

Old 19-07-2009, 06:42 PM

gibberishy is on a distinguished road
I don't think people want Nokia to start making iPhones. If people want iPhones, they buy iPhones.

I think the general feeling about Nokia is where is the next generation, the next big thing?

Blaming it on using S60 doesn't make any sense. N95 uses S60, but was a hit because of its capabilities.

You can give the same objects to one person and the can create a masterpiece; give them to another and they create a pile of junk. It's not that there's anything wrong with S60, there is not a device out by Nokia that everyone is craving.

That's the problem.

Old 19-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPO'M View Post
What is it about the iPhone that is easy to use that people wouldn't miss if it had never been introduced? Web browsing? Maps? Are these the types of things that people wouldn't miss if they weren't so easy to use? If so, then why did Nokia and everyone else provide mobile browsers and mapping software before? Music? If so, then why did Nokia enable their phones to play media files?
If I had no mobile web browsing or maps on my phone then life would go on. If people seriously NEED this stuff then they should step back and take a look.

Old 19-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Combining a touchscreen with a QWERTY keyboard is nothing new. Palm did that with the Treo,
Psion 1997.

Old 19-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibberishy View Post
You can give the same objects to one person and the can create a masterpiece; give them to another and they create a pile of junk. It's not that there's anything wrong with S60, there is not a device out by Nokia that everyone is craving.
There is not a device out there by anyone that everyone is craving.

Nobody is craving Nokia 5800xms but they are selling a million per month.

Old 19-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Collywobbler

Quote:

Plus, this "$1000 over two years" is disingenuous to say the least. First, even a cheap mobile phone with a basic voice plan costs $1000 over two years in the US (basic postpaid voice is $40/month for about 400-600 minutes and weekends). Apple's data plan for the iPhone is $30/month, and $40 for enterprise plans, which are exactly the same as what AT&T charges for similar phones such as BlackBerry and Windows Media devices.
Jeez that's stiff. How do you guys stand for that?

I think Blackberry get the premium status because it's more a serious business device compared to the 'toy' image of the iPhone which has majored on games and iPoo touch features. A Blackberry is an expense item that employers will be less worried about employees wasting time on. That kind of money for any Windows device is shocking. I recall when the first Blackberrys appeared with their thumbwheels and push mail there was nothing else like it around and it was going to change the world.

Old 19-07-2009, 11:56 PM
lostplay

yes and no

Originally Posted by Tomi T Ahonen
Now
As it had so MANY errors, I had to give proof for every one. I am sorry, if that c m.

That is fact, and if the point to prove is who was more innovative, t ournalist claimed that Nokia is not innovating in phones, and clearly the journalist did not know what was writing, nor indeed what six other Forbes journalists had written before.

Tomi Ahonen :-)
www.tomiahonen.com
ATT I made a short post after this one . Y ou may want to skip this one .

Nokia is a great company .Nokia has great employees / And comments made about nokia apply to all techie companies .
Nokia will spend millions of euros to mimic the iphone. And your sales of cheap plastic razor thin PROFIT throwaway phones tied to a two yr. contract will go on.

Think about millions an upon millions of cheap plastic toxic complicated phones hitting the landfills every year .
Nokia had a 10 yr. lead to make a true innovative smartphone that has a great ease of use
Nokia had a 20 yrs to perfect a user friendly smartphone
APPLE DID IT IN 3 YRS
Apple made a phone that never ever hits the land fill as a piece of euro. trash .

Nokia by its stupid foresight or no foresight has just lost millions of finnish stockholders retiring money. Billion of dollars lost. Yet once again i should say. Your smug post warms all those retirees who supported there home grown company .

APPLE FIRST PHONE THEY EVER MADE IS BETTER THAN ANY PHONE NOKIA EVER MADE,

Used apple phones trade like a oil or juice commodity. Nokia phones are a major cause of exotic metal poisoning in the third world. Staving children burning your phones to eke a little copper or tin.

And the million's of nokia investors have been waiting for your iphone response ???
And dude apple has only just begun . Think about how fantastic iphones will be in 5 years .

Shame on nokia for being a poor neighbor to the earth
And shame on nokia for hurting so many aged retired investors
If high profit phones are not sold soon your stock slide will continue . What was that snide crack you made about apple before ?? FINNISH PRESS WILL L,OVE THAT ONE .

peace

Old 20-07-2009, 02:59 AM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Wow, Roger you make it sound so easy. And I'm sure such a device (possible or not) would cost more than $800.....
Oh come on! You're saying nokia couldn't have easily added xenon flash to the n97 without adding much cost or size? Thats the cherry picking i'm talking about. Why can't i get a xenon flash phone that has 3g in the usa? Many more examples like that where nokia cherry picks features which exist in one of their other phones. It wouldn't cost much more money at all and then it would at least be worth paying 700 dollars for the phone.

Old 20-07-2009, 08:49 AM

Mr Mark is on a distinguished road
I think we have to define what's 'better' here. As mentioned, other phones have better UIs than Nokia, however, that's just one aspect of the device.

To me the most important parts of a phone are usability, call quality and texting. After that I'm looking for a device that is a good music player, offers an acceptable 'five minute' web browsing experience - I do most of my browsing on my Macbook - and has GPS/map software. Anything else is window dressing.

Usability covers a few things - my expectation of a device is that it should be usable in one hand, be responsive and have the key functions easily available. The UI should be relatively intuitive.

So, for me, the iPhone ticks the boxes of having a great UI but it's too big and can't easily be used in one hand. In addition the call quality isn't the best and although multi-touch is nice I'm not that bothered by it - a double tap on the screen suffices and doesn't require two hands to use. The 5800 on the other hand is a bit clunky, has some odd UI decisions (single/double tap) but has far better call quality, can be used one handed to text and has a better music player. The browser isn't as smooth as Safari but it does show embeded video.

In other words, the qualities that I value in a phone are more prevalent in the 5800 than they are in the iPhone. Of course others will have differing opinions.

Old 20-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostplay View Post
APPLE FIRST PHONE THEY EVER MADE IS BETTER THAN ANY PHONE NOKIA EVER MADE9
Is suppose because that's in capital letters and is a self rightous statement, it must be true eh? :S

Old 20-07-2009, 04:01 PM

tenoce is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostplay View Post
Think about millions an upon millions of cheap plastic toxic complicated phones hitting the landfills every year .
Nokia had a 10 yr. lead to make a true innovative smartphone that has a great ease of use
Nokia had a 20 yrs to perfect a user friendly smartphone
APPLE DID IT IN 3 YRS
Apple made a phone that never ever hits the land fill as a piece of euro. trash .
Greenpeace puts Nokia on top in Green Electronics study
Ads

Old 20-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Unregistered

Tenoce

You destroyed his argument there nicely. Must be an Apple Zealot.

Old 21-07-2009, 07:15 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
The fact of the matter is, multi-touch makes the iPhone a lot easier to use. It would be useful on the N97, which is narrower and more pocketable than the iPhone. It's a more natural motion for resizing a browser.
The funniest thing of all is that multi-touch is NOT used by the majority of iPhone users. In fact many studies have shown that the majority of the users do not even know that it exists. They all just use double tap instead.