All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 16-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Unregistered

Nokia

Nokia have got to start a service with a computer supplier to help there touch screen mobiles move on,thats the Advantage Samsung an Apple an Htc they have produce software for there laptops an gives them a advantage,to get the touch screen software produced better for its mobiles,Nokia are now under pressure an there sales falling ,something new as got to happen at Nokia to get them back leading the mobile market,hope the N8 does help them but its still needs a big turn around to get them back running again

Old 16-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wow.. is that the green or blue? It looks very much like teal though =/
Blue.

Quote:
Hi, i'm planning to get the white/silver N8. I would like to know whats your impression of the lock switch and the menu button. Does it feels like it would get yellowish after like 1 year+ of use?
Hard to say really. It should do well as its anodised aluminium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germcevoy View Post
I can't see any reason for myself to buy this one. Compared to the 5800 I have, I see no reason to fork out 500 quid. Same res screen, smaller battery, limited UI changes, mono speaker etc. It has the camera but I won't be using it so perhaps i'm not target audience for this phone but it just doesn't seem to be a huge step up for me.

Hope Nokia don't cock it up though. I'll be waiting for Symbian 4
I think they are very different devices. The UI changes look small (and I think that's debateable), but they make a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumeo View Post
This sounds quite promising. What can be read from Engaged and other /US) blogs is that the OS is far away from a stable one. What can you say about that ?
This really depends how you define unstable. I was pleasantly surprised with its overall performance compared to earlier Nokia devices tested at a similar stage. You can see from the video the run through was smooth - the reason I did that was so people could judge for themselves. I would say the platform was good, the issues that were present were probably more with incomplete integration (e.g. Ovi Store only went to the web version) than unexplained crashing (which is what I would define as far from stable).

I'd also note the some devices on the day seemed more stable than others. I suspect there's also a familiarity aspect to this. I was able to do a relatively smooth walk through because I familiar with the device. Sluggish and slowness can sometimes be just as much down to the operator (and/or their perceptions).

Until it is in retail form you can not make a final judgements.

Old 17-06-2010, 06:01 AM

thegadgetfreak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This phone is already dead on the water.
Can you imagine Apple showing off a device with half-baked software?
To choose this over a Nexus or Desire you have to be a Fanboy or insane, probably both.
Another Apple Fanboy, talking about half-baked software?? ---- Dood... read this

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...e-environment/

There are severe issues in the Software, that apple will take loads of time to fix...

Nokia is just being honest unlike Apple...
Ads

Old 17-06-2010, 11:08 AM

ashg77 is on a distinguished road
Will this be Nokia's Symbian^3 Flagship?

Rafe,

Considering the Name of the device (N8) and the leaked news that the N9 will be a Meego device, would it be safe to say that this device will be Nokia's highest end Symbian^3 device?

What do you think?

Thanks,

Ash

Old 17-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashg77 View Post
Rafe,

Considering the Name of the device (N8) and the leaked news that the N9 will be a Meego device, would it be safe to say that this device will be Nokia's highest end Symbian^3 device?

What do you think?

Thanks,

Ash
Without commenting on any specific leaks....

I think that's probably a too narrow way of looking at the N8. Maybe better say it will be one of Nokia's highest end Symbian^3 devices. The main focus is in imaging - I would expect other Symbian^3 devices which, while they may not match the camera, may be high-end in other areas. I think an obvious area to look at would be a QWERTY equipped device - that might be considered similar to the N8... See relation between say N82 and N95... or N86 and N97.

Old 17-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Unregistered

Nokia is back

Looks like Nokia got a winner. The N8 is simply neat. I guess the N9 would be great too.

Old 17-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
Hard to say really. It should do well as its anodised aluminium.
Cool~! Didn't know the lockswitch is made out of aluminum as well. Thanks Rafe =D

One more thing.. Does the plastics at the top and the bottom feels like it would get stained yellowish too? XD

Old 17-06-2010, 09:07 PM

miki69 is on a distinguished road
Rafe, any novelties in Conctacs/Phonebook? I've been looking a lot of images from variuos sources and I couldn't help noticed many of them show not so perfect blend between plastic top/bottom parts and the body, eg. you can see uneven gaps here and there. Can you comment on this please? How does keypad feel? Is it large/comfortable enough for typing? What about Camera menu itself, any improvements/novelties there? Does Camera remember your last settings or it's "here we go again" upon Camera exit/enter? One last question (for this session ) how far pinch-to-zoom goes on image, is it up to 100% zoom, or more?

Cheers,
Miki

Last edited by miki69; 17-06-2010 at 09:15 PM.

Old 18-06-2010, 06:40 AM

Cintra is on a distinguished road
Its a nice looking phone, making me wonder if perhaps I'll try Nokia again.

The one thing which will be a deciding factor for me is whether it will have OTA updates or not... I refuse to use a PC to make updates again.

Mva
Oslo

Old 18-06-2010, 08:02 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by germcevoy View Post
I can't see any reason for myself to buy this one. Compared to the 5800 I have, I see no reason to fork out 500 quid. Same res screen, smaller battery, limited UI changes, mono speaker etc. It has the camera but I won't be using it so perhaps i'm not target audience for this phone but it just doesn't seem to be a huge step up for me.

Hope Nokia don't cock it up though. I'll be waiting for Symbian 4
So you missed the quoted price - 370 euros, or about 300. Thats the SIM free price, not on contract or payg.

Same res screen, but much higher quality. Multi touch - so it'll actually be usable as a gaming platform (which is not the case with the 5800 - games are useless). A camera thats actually quite good (as opposed to the 5800 camera which is basically naff - I did have one for a while).

Mono speaker? Since when were stereo speakers in a phone any good? Since about, er, never?

Old 18-06-2010, 08:19 AM

miki69 is on a distinguished road
370 EUR before taxes and subsidies. Price should be same as N86 when introduced (375 EUR + taxes and subsidies, about 500 EUR in stores upon release), Play offers it (N8) for 499 pounds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
Mono speaker? Since when were stereo speakers in a phone any good? Since about, er, never?
Couldn't agree more, plus initial reports show N8 speaker is quite strong with good "depth", as oppose to N86 rather "thin" sound.

Cheers,
Miki

Last edited by miki69; 18-06-2010 at 08:29 AM.

Old 26-06-2010, 03:55 AM
Unregistered

HDMI Out

Actually the HDMI port outputs 1080p, not 720p. The camera records in 720p but if you have a higher definition video on the device you will get 1080p with Dolby DTS through the HDMI port.

Old 17-07-2010, 07:17 PM

rahulgarg is on a distinguished road
Hi. I am new here but have been reading the site for some time now.
I have some questions about the N8:

1. Does N8's email client have HTML email?

2. I have a Nokia E63 and I had substantial trouble connecting to a WPA2-PEAP connection, though I did figure it out after googling a bit. Any idea if Symbian^3 simplifies wifi setup, in particular WPA2-PEAP?

3. One thing I am very confused about, is whether the apps written for S60v5 work on Symbian^3. I mean, is it backwards compatible? I am particularly interested in apps like Skype, Google Maps and Fring. These all work on both S60v3 and S60v5.