All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 22-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Hands-on with the Nokia N96

Knuckle down for the real thing, guys and gals, AAS proudly presents Rafe's definitive hands-on preview of the recently-announced Nokia N96. From the DVB-H TV receiver to the new codecs to the music controls to the auto-geotagging of photos, it's all covered. Rafe spent quite a time with the N96 and it shows. Read the feature to find out how the N96 compares to the N95 variants and to the N82 - is there a definite flagship?

Read on in the full article.

Old 22-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Very interesting review, but missing out on the one thing many are wanting to know - battery life.

With the improvments made for battery saving, it would be very interesting to see how it compares to the N95 8GB.
Ads

Old 22-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
bartmanekul - yes I'm curious too, but until we get our hands on a review unit its not possible to make any definitive comments. Bear in mind these at the prototype stage power management has not been optimised. That said they seemed to be holding up quite well to constant demo use at MWC.

Old 22-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Also wanted to ask, with this being the latest double slider out, whats your opinion on them? Do you think they are worth it, or do you find traditional sliders or candybars better?

Old 22-02-2008, 11:18 AM

satsuma is on a distinguished road
Great review, really decent.
I played with it last week at WMC and was very impressed.
I hadn't realised this one had the ST Nomadix in it, I thought Nomadix handsets were further down the line - so that's a very very interesting revelation in the review.
The battery life would be a my concern - especially if I was going to use the DVBH on top of all the other goodies.
Of course, we won't be able to use that part here in the UK.
One of the nice Finnish people on the stand told me that UK operator variants would most likely have the DVBH disabled - which means you couldn't even pick up free-to-air channels when you travel abroad

Old 22-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Also wanted to ask, with this being the latest double slider out, whats your opinion on them? Do you think they are worth it, or do you find traditional sliders or candybars better?
I prefer the double sliders over traditional sliders, but this is more to do with the way it makes it easy to use landscape UI. The multimedia controls are a nice touch I admit.

At heart I'm probably happier with a candy bar (no mucking about to get to a keypad), but I can't say I have that strong feelings (and I do like the bigger screens).

Quote:
The battery life would be a my concern - especially if I was going to use the DVBH on top of all the other goodies.
Of course, we won't be able to use that part here in the UK.
One of the nice Finnish people on the stand told me that UK operator variants would most likely have the DVBH disabled - which means you couldn't even pick up free-to-air channels when you travel abroad
Yes, with DVB-H use battery life would be in the region of three to four hours - bit like 3G calling time. The operator variant is an interesting point - it was also suggested that Mobile TV over 3G may take the place of DVB-H on the multimedia menu etc.

I'm not sure the N96 will get that much distribution outside of DVB-H areas - seems likely there'll be a double slide form factor Nseries, but without DVB-H before too long (one that is FP2) and the N95 8GB will presumably be cheaper for operators who can not exploit DVB-H potential.

Old 22-02-2008, 12:30 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
What i'd like to know is whether FP2 improves the access point situation, or do we still have to select it everytime, even when it is already active.

Also whether they have improved the contact app and calender apps, including birthdays added in contacts to appear in calendar.

It's alright adding new features like DVB-H but sometimes I wish they would just fix the basic features that have been missing since the original s60 7650

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 22-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Unregistered

Looks nice but I'm concerned about the size increase. If 2.8 screen goes into the N95/8GB at 99mm then why not the N96? I would do away with the pointless double slide and reduce the overall package size. If the trend with handset bloat continues then I will be looking for a different handset.

Battery life is not a concern worth worrying about. N95 classic can go 48 hours+ between charges and the N96 has improved efficiency. DVB-H is more battery efficient than 3G streamed video.

Old 22-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
What i'd like to know is whether FP2 improves the access point situation, or do we still have to select it everytime, even when it is already active.
I don't understand this, it doesn't happen like that for me. If I pre-set an Access point then it continues to use that one. If I put it on auto, and choose one it continues to use that one until I stop and start the application.

Old 22-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Founder / Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratkat View Post

Also whether they have improved the contact app and calender apps, including birthdays added in contacts to appear in calendar.
There'll be a preview of FP2 in due course that will address the chnages in more detail, but in brief... Yes the access point situation is much improved. You can now have multiple access points in a group and set a group as the default access point. Contacts and calendars have received relatively minor upgrades. Don't think birthday stuff has been updated, but cant be sure (hard trying to remember some of the little things that haven't been documented).

Old 22-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As yet there’s no video or film store from Nokia in the style of iTunes or Amazon. Nokia are presumably open to this, but have yet to make any formal announcements.
Nokia have dropped some pretty heavy hints about this in some public statements recently, but as you say nothing direct.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 22-02-2008, 02:38 PM

junchao8 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
I prefer the double sliders over traditional sliders, but this is more to do with the way it makes it easy to use landscape UI. The multimedia controls are a nice touch I admit.

At heart I'm probably happier with a candy bar (no mucking about to get to a keypad), but I can't say I have that strong feelings (and I do like the bigger screens).

Yes, with DVB-H use battery life would be in the region of three to four hours - bit like 3G calling time. The operator variant is an interesting point - it was also suggested that Mobile TV over 3G may take the place of DVB-H on the multimedia menu etc.

I'm not sure the N96 will get that much distribution outside of DVB-H areas - seems likely there'll be a double slide form factor Nseries, but without DVB-H before too long (one that is FP2) and the N95 8GB will presumably be cheaper for operators who can not exploit DVB-H potential.
N96 is a inevitable update of n95 8gb, for better of worse, you say that it's cheaper to run n95 8gb, I disagree, n96 is basically a cheaper and updated version of n95 8gb to nokia, whose origainal n95 8gb was popular with the consumers, so networks supplied it obediently, though who nevertheless though it was expensive.

12 hours playback time of music in offline mode, i say thats pathetic, for gods's sick, if i want a music player with n91 quality, i would get n78, 12 hours is substanded optmium for n96, what about in online profile on HSPDA, for those users who want to receive phone as well as listening music? I would have got 12 hours on the origainan n91 back in 2005.

Old 22-02-2008, 05:15 PM
unclesammy

a PHOTOS application? ....Ummm
I wonder where they got that idea from.

*cough* iPhone *cough*

Old 22-02-2008, 05:28 PM
lamey

A screen in mobile phone? *cough* iPhone *iPhone*

Old 22-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Unregistered

" unclesammy
a PHOTOS application? ....Ummm
I wonder where they got that idea from."

How about a Sony Ericsson K800 some years ago.