All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A View Post
Non-Nokia S60 phones will not have the Nokia content signing root certificate, so Nokia-signed files will not install. They have to be from Symbian Signed.

Note that some applications might have embedded .sisx files that are Nokia-signed, even if the actual application is Symbian Signed. They won't install, either.
Thanks N/A - that's a very good point. There's more than one certificate that things can be signed againt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Seeing it's not possible to install native Nokia Apps in non Nokia phones, will porting Nokia's certificates to other S60 phones work. Could this force the app to think the phone is indeed a Nokia phone and then it could be installed ?
No that's not going to work. The platform security would prevent it. This is going to become a bigger and bigger issue as software and the value it adds becomes more important. One area to watch with all the platform stuff I guess - how much is included in the platform and how much are licensees going to have to add themselves.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:31 AM

hargs48 is on a distinguished road
Great work on the preview,I just want to know,how was fast is the UI as compared to a fresh N95 8GB or N82?

Also we know the INNOV8 has 128mb RAM with around 70mb left free,very similar to the E90,but less than the N95 8GB or N82 (which have around close to 90mb),why is that,does the OS need to more to run or is it to to with Demand Paging etc...

Old 04-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
UI seemed fast enough - hard to judge as things may change in final firmware though. Ditto for free RAM, this will change a lot as the firmware gets finalised. Take the 70MB figure with a pinch of salt.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Unregistered

This is much better than any nokia device that on market or planned.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:15 PM
Unregistered

I see no mention of TV out.

No TV-out = FAIL.

And on a separate note, N96 = FAIL.

The best handset Nokia has currently on the market, all things considered is easily the 6220 Classic. Give me that any day over any other handset in the world.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:26 PM

sbarts is on a distinguished road
The INNOV8 seems to be what the N96 should have been. I'd be interested to see what the software compatability will be before I commit to buying one although I think it's a cert that Ngage won't work and all the games I've therefore bought will be useless.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:

No TV-out = FAIL.

The best handset Nokia has currently on the market, all things considered is easily the 6220 Classic. Give me that any day over any other handset in the world.
Actually it does have TV-Out though we were not able to test this (sorry should have mentioned this in the review). Can't be 100% on this though.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:31 PM

sbarts is on a distinguished road
Quote:

No TV-out = FAIL.

It looks like it has TV out according to a number of reviews

Old 04-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Unregistered

PowerVR

and alas no mention of the PowerVR MBX lite chip or the OMAP2430 SoC inside, what kind of review you guys conducting?

Old 04-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Unregistered

If you bothered reading the article you would see it is a preview not a review based on limited time with the device. I doubt at this stage Samsung are willing to officially confirm what's inside (though we can make assumptions).

Old 04-08-2008, 03:28 PM

PATCALEB is on a distinguished road
Pencil Or Edit Key Function

I often use the edit/pencil key on my N958GB for selecting text,URLs,& multiselecting files. Will i still be able to do this with this Samsung innov8 phone?

Old 04-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Unregistered

its a fake

yes up, thats a cover from the n95!! only coverd ...

Old 04-08-2008, 04:35 PM

D4n958GB is on a distinguished road
The picture and video quality is very good; i had my heart set on the E71, but this may win me over. Any ideas on a release date yet?

Old 04-08-2008, 04:38 PM
TrueDis

Question What does the GMail icon link to?

What does the GMail icon link to? The web version? The Java app? Or some mythical S60 native app...?

Old 05-08-2008, 02:13 AM

hargs48 is on a distinguished road
I know this is off-topic but while we mentioning other S60 companies,other than Nokia,when can we expect a review of the LG KT610,the "mini E90".

AAS has yet to test an LG S60 phone,would like to know whats LG's take on S60...