All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 17-07-2010, 10:39 AM

carman58 is on a distinguished road
apple response.

I am no way an Apple fan, but I honestly thought the response was extremely good, from a customer service point of view I really can't see what else they could have done. As an N97 user I wish Nokia had had a similar attitude to my handset, which they appear to be hoping is an issue that will simply go away !! OK so Apple produce ONE handset and as such there product should be 'perfect' , Nokia produce hundreds and so there may be the odd mistake, but I would have thought a little more R & D would have taken place with a 'Flagship' device.
Because I'm a 'mug' I'm prepared to give them one more chance to produce a market leading phone (hopefully the one after the N8) if they don't I will very probably venture to Android, and Nokia will have lost another loyal user and supporter
Despite disliking Apple, you cannot knock there customer service !!

Old 17-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Bulakbuk

Tsk, tsk tsk....

It's always people and their woes like RAM, GPS, WI-FI, and all those features that are integrated on some phones.

First, let's get one thing clear; the issue is the Antennae of the iP4 and not anything else. Some Folks would comment on their phones having this kind of RAM or Faulty GPS and as such - but the core issue here is the Reception of the iP4 and not it's RAM or GPS etc... So please people stop yapping about your non-antennae related burdens.

To begin with, as with all other functionality, the main purpose of a mobile phone is to make and recieve calls, Period. If you want to throw in the SMS/MMS core then so be it. But no matter how advanced a unit is, it is simply useless if it cant be reliable on the main purpose it was built on!

iPhone4 is indeed a great phone. A very amazing phone at that, and I would be lying if I say that I didn't want one. But I have to be realistic, all of us for that matter and understand what the main issue here is all about.

I understand people's frustrations when it comes to limitations of their phones like RAM and such, but please - the topic here is about Cellular reception.

Tacsiyapo!

Old 17-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
It does rather spark me to wonder what Nokia could or should have done for the N97 in similar vein. I guess the woes there were too drawn out and not so immediately obvious. i.e. we had the initial RAM problems. Then those got addressed and we had patches and updates that meant disk C: was then too small. And that was all over 6 months.

Scratched camera glass and faulty GPS antenna were both sorted out at Nokia Care Points though.

Having said all this, wouldn't it be great if Nokia did something to promote goodwill, along the lines of "Show a valid receipt for your old N97 classic and we'll knock 100 off the price of a new N8 or XX" (where XX is the top secret model I'm err.. not allowed to mention)? How about it, Anssi?

Old 17-07-2010, 11:23 AM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
If I were a company that sold cases for the iPhone4, I would be severely pissed off. I wonder if there are any legal proceedings brewing...

Old 17-07-2010, 11:27 AM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Steve, 100? There would go all of the profit (likely more) Nokia makes on a N8 for potentially millions of units.

Old 17-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by viipottaja View Post
Steve, 100? There would go all of the profit (likely more) Nokia makes on a N8 for potentially millions of units.
Nah - if it was only news in geek channels like this then I'd bet that less than 5,000 people worldwide would take advantage of the scheme. It would be great PR and Nokia would guarantee some new S^3 owners at the same time.

It's not about profit here - Nokia made the profit on original N97 purchases. As Steve Jobs says, it's now about ensuring that customers are kept happy and the brand name is restored.

Old 17-07-2010, 11:41 AM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Well I am willing to bet there would be many more people than that. And obviously they could not inform about it only through geek channels - doing that would only expose them to more critique. But the debate is moot as it will not happen.

Old 17-07-2010, 11:42 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
XX" (where XX is the top secret model I'm err.. not allowed to mention)?
Come on Steve!

Give us a clue... is it "N" or "E" or "??"?

Is it Symbian or MeeGo?

Will it be out 2nd quarter 2011?

Will it be rubber band powered (oops, sorry!)?

Old 17-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
Having said all this, wouldn't it be great if Nokia did something to promote goodwill, along the lines of "Show a valid receipt for your old N97 classic and we'll knock 100 off the price of a new N8 or XX" (where XX is the top secret model I'm err.. not allowed to mention)? How about it, Anssi?
The so-called E7 of course of which pics and details are leaked across the net already

As for goodwill, the main gesture we need to see is N8 upgradeable to S^4. MyNokiaBlog.com did a poll and out of nearly 700 replies, well over 90% said they really wanted an N8 but failure to have the upgrade to S^4 option would be a deal-killer.

Old 17-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Unregistered

Exclamation Video: Nokia as apple

"Nokia prioritize antenna performance over design"

I AM NO SURE OF THIS.......

CHECK IT OUT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1BEWCeVvuA (SEE THE SIGNAL BAR)

AND IT'S NOT A SINGLE CASE.....

Old 17-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Unregistered

Well, it shouldn't be news to anyone that if you shield any RF antenna you can affect its performance. Even the highest gain broadcast antenna can be rendered useless by a carefully designed faraday cage. It is unreasonable to expect a phone to withstand shielding by being wrappes in a human hand.

But normal grip where you hold a phone to your ear should have very little effect. If it does in this case then that's just schoolboy error. The basic fundamental function of a phone is to make voice calls, this should be got right.

It's worth noting that if you are in a borderline reception location, even without touching the phone you can get signal strength variation due to multipath.

Using a rubber band to bodge out the problem pretty crap. I'll wait until the problem is fixed. I have not yet been suckered by the cult.

Old 17-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Unregistered

Why?

Why are people so obsessed about whether the N8 will get a Symbian^4 upgrade or not?

It doesn't make any sense to put Symbian^4 on the N8. Symbian^3 is new and shiny already, and it is backwards compatible - which in my book is way more important.

The reason why it was so important for Android users to get the latest Android version on their device, is because essential features where missing from older Android versions.

That is not the case with Symbian^3. It has everything a phone needs, plus all the new stuff.

To the people who believe that Symbian^3 will get abandoned - fear not! It will NOT be abandoned or anything like that. Nokia are working on several more Symbian^3 devices - e.g. the E7 and C7.

Old 17-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As for goodwill, the main gesture we need to see is N8 upgradeable to S^4. MyNokiaBlog.com did a poll and out of nearly 700 replies, well over 90% said they really wanted an N8 but failure to have the upgrade to S^4 option would be a deal-killer.
700! Well, for devices that need to sell millions that pretty poor.

I expect the poll on MyNormalHumanBlog.com would need to have an option like "what the f*** is Symbian^4? Oh f*** it who cares"

If I get an N8, nice camera. Then when I replace it I'll get Symbian^4.
Ads

Old 17-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Interesting, I hadn't seen that about the N97 mini before. As I said above, a lot depends on exactly how strong the signal is to start with. There's an article in here, I think!

Old 17-07-2010, 01:29 PM

MemphisX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
"Nokia prioritize antenna performance over design"

I AM NO SURE OF THIS.......

CHECK IT OUT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1BEWCeVvuA (SEE THE SIGNAL BAR)

AND IT'S NOT A SINGLE CASE.....
Well its obvious that the reception where this guy is, is just tottaly crap. no 3g reception, just gsm (and I doubt there is edge or even gprs). Well after all the above "hugging" the phone will make the bad reception worse but still not loosing it fully. On iPhone 4 things get really really worse!!!

Not everyone is meant to make a difference.
But for me the choice to live an ordinary life is no longer an option.

If there was no GOD it would be neccessary to invent him.