All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Rita's N86 8MP vs N82

I can't imagine why I haven't done this exact same head to head, but AAS-favourite Rita el-Khoury has taken the time to pitch the cameras in the Nokia N82 and N86 8MP directly against each other, concluding that the N86 is a viable replacement, despite the lack of Xenon flash. [Steve wanders off muttering about the N82 still being King down the club or disco....]

Read on in the full article.

Old 19-10-2009, 01:34 PM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
In the past, I was made to believe that I dont' require 3d hardware in my phone so it has been removed but the N900 has it.

And for some time now, I'm being forced to believe that I don't require Xenon on my phone. But I know I'm right and I'll be proven correct. Just waiting to see when that happens.

Old 19-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Unregistered

An LED flash works much better with the types of cameras being fitted to phones (i.e. a CMOS sensor with a non-mechanicial rolling shutter). For Xenon flashes, a completely different type of camera is required to match the short flash characteristics. Manufacturers don't consider this to be worthwhile just so a few anally retentivepeople can get a very slightly clearer picture at parties. They can just buy a normal camera for not very much money these days.

LEDs will continue to improve and are starting to find their way onto dedicated cameras. The trend is away from Xenon.

Here, read this:

http://www.philipslumileds.com/pdfs/..._LED_flash.pdf

Old 19-10-2009, 04:40 PM

JohnnyN is on a distinguished road
I love my N86, but concede that you can't beat a good xenon flash for low light parties
Not sure if the current firmware has improved it, but in a dark club, I had to be really careful not to get a blurred photo. (could be blamed on alcohol there), I still need to have a good play with the v20 camera, but the photos are excellent. N82 just doesnt cut it against this.

Old 19-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Unregistered

In contrast to the other unregistered above, I've read tests about this, and it's plain for all to see: you NEED a Xenon flash to provide sufficient illumination so that shots with even the slightest movement are not blurred in anything other than good lighting. And by slightest movement that means anything where the phone is not fixed to a solid platform - i.e. not using your hand. As has been said time and again, an LED cannot provide sufficient light, end of story. Xenon freezes the action in any light level.

I will not buy any phone, no matter how good, until it has a Xenon flash. N82 is STILL the best out there.

Old 19-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In contrast to the other unregistered above, I've read tests about this, and it's plain for all to see: you NEED a Xenon flash to provide sufficient illumination so that shots with even the slightest movement are not blurred in anything other than good lighting. And by slightest movement that means anything where the phone is not fixed to a solid platform - i.e. not using your hand. As has been said time and again, an LED cannot provide sufficient light, end of story. Xenon freezes the action in any light level.

I will not buy any phone, no matter how good, until it has a Xenon flash. N82 is STILL the best out there.
Oh FFS. The point is not just the flash type, it has to have a matching camera, a more expensive matching camera with different shutter technology. So, if you want to take low light shots with flash, get a camera or even a decent picture any time get a camera. Even a cheap camera is miles better than a Pixon or N86.

And the two pics posted by djmuzi, both very poor image quality. It's like deciding which is best, cow sh!t or pig sh!t.

And they are both different scenes in different conditions, if anything the N86 is coping better.

Evidence not admissible.

Old 19-10-2009, 08:53 PM

djmuzi is on a distinguished road
Yes with an SLR you might take better pictures

Old 20-10-2009, 06:15 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmuzi View Post
Yes with an SLR you might take better pictures
You could take better pictures with these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/tag/digital%...a%20for%20kids

Old 19-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Unregistered

Forget the N86 or even the N82... Camera phones have moved on. The Samsung Pixon 12 takes the best images and has a powerful Xenon flash.

Only sites like this continue to advertise Nokia camera phones as awesome...

Old 19-10-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Forget the N86 or even the N82... Camera phones have moved on. The Samsung Pixon 12 takes the best images and has a powerful Xenon flash.

Only sites like this continue to advertise Nokia camera phones as awesome...
You are right: look at this:

Pixon 12

N86

hmmm n86 has no chance man

Old 19-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Unregistered

Pixon 12 vs N86

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_m891...view-371p6.php

Old 20-10-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Pixon 12 - good
N86 - watercolour-painted

Don't understand me wrong, I own a N86 and is satisfies my needs, and it is the Best Nokia Cameraphone, but there are much better phones outside and Nokia should bring a software-update that really takes advantage of the camera-hardware, not such 1-Megabyte-watercolour-paintings. They look very good in the preview, but when I zoom in to see much more details the fun is over, this might get better, when Nokia starts to use 35mm again, this 28mm eats even more details of the picture.

Old 20-10-2009, 08:54 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Pixon 12 - good
N86 - watercolour-painted

Don't understand me wrong, I own a N86 and is satisfies my needs, and it is the Best Nokia Cameraphone, but there are much better phones outside and Nokia should bring a software-update that really takes advantage of the camera-hardware, not such 1-Megabyte-watercolour-paintings. They look very good in the preview, but when I zoom in to see much more details the fun is over, this might get better, when Nokia starts to use 35mm again, this 28mm eats even more details of the picture.
N86 is equal best with the N82. In low light the N86 just doesn't cope as well, but in outdoor situations the N86 seems to give stronger or more vibrant colours.

That gsmarena comparison was a little bizarre - I don't see where they see the Pixon equalling the 350D. The 350D was clearly pulling out more detail. Also, it was using a 10-20mm lens, but no mention of which end of the range it was using. Both the Pixon and N86 were showing that cramming more pixels in != better quality - the noise at 100% crops was absolutely terrible. But then most people don't' look at 100% crops, they either view them on screen (ie. reduced to 2mp at most) or printed (probably at 6x4 or 7x5).

28mm does not eat detail. Its just the focal length - its a wider angle lens, so you need to get closer to get the same field of view than you would with a 35mm lens.

Old 20-10-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post

28mm does not eat detail. Its just the focal length - its a wider angle lens, so you need to get closer to get the same field of view than you would with a 35mm lens.
Yes you are quite right, but when I want to take a picture with the 28mm N86 camera of a building across the street I should stay in the middle of the street to get as much details as a 35 mm cameraphone - dangerous, isn't it?

The same is applicable to a river or see - I have to jump into the river

Old 21-10-2009, 10:29 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes you are quite right, but when I want to take a picture with the 28mm N86 camera of a building across the street I should stay in the middle of the street to get as much details as a 35 mm cameraphone - dangerous, isn't it?

The same is applicable to a river or see - I have to jump into the river
Well, kinda true ... but you'll have the same issue on any camera with fixed focal length. And both 28mm and 35mm are wide angle - not even slightly suitable for taking detailed pictures of buildings. You need a decent focal length for that.

Thats why I like my SLR with lenses ranging from 35 through to 450mm.