All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 17-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
And this year's TIPA award goes to.... the Nokia N86 8MP

Continuing a long run of success, Nokia has scored again with the N86 8MP at the annual TIPA (Technical Image Press Association) awards. The N86 won in the 'Mobile imaging device' category - perhaps a little premature given that the device hasn't hit the streets in production form, maybe Nokia has been handing prototypes to the 'right' people? Previous winners in the category were the Nokia N82 (2008) and N95 (2007), so at least it does seem as if the judges have got their heads screwed on straight.

Read on in the full article.

Old 17-04-2009, 02:57 PM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
This is becoming so transparent it's not even funny anymore.

TIPA has been handing out awards every year to the latest Nokia phone as far back as I can remember. Remember the N80? Neither do I. It was a crap phone but TIPA thought otherwise. On to the N82, then the N95 and now N86.

The N86 is not even on the market. I guess somebody at TIPA is enjoying their free phones from Nokia and hence this "objective" award.

What a joke.

Old 17-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Akimoto

This is total bs. As great the N86 "may be" (we don't know yet) it still hasn't hit the market. So how can you award a phone with best imaging if it is still a month away from release and the mass hasn't even seen the final version of it. Seems like someone got something very special from Nokia to get to this conclusion. With that the TIPA awards have lost any credibility they had with me.

Old 17-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Unregistered

@Arthur

Think, dude.

Perhaps Nokia really deserves it? Nokia had been the first vendor to get the 5mp right, with a fair balance of specs and usability.

And as for TIPA's reason, perhaps you ought to read it from the TIPA website itself.

Old 17-04-2009, 04:30 PM

"Unregistered": perhaps you should reveal your identity. We wouldn't want to embarrass any one, would we?

Old 17-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Unregistered

The award should go to INNOV8 since n86 is not yet out.

bias.

Old 17-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Unregistered

But the pictures that come out of the N86 is no where near the INNOV8s.

Old 17-04-2009, 10:24 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Samsung announces a phone capable of shooting 720p video, SE announces a phone capable of taking 12MP still images (with a xenon flash), and the award for best mobile imaging device goes to... Nokia's too-little-far-too-late 8MP phone?!?
Based on what? If they were looking just at technical specifications sheets, both Samsung and SE phones are more impressive. If they were looking at real-life performance, they should have given the award to an already-released phone, like the INNOV8. I agree with Arthur that what they were looking at was probably the suitcase full of cash being handed over to them by Nokia.

Old 18-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Daly

Arthur, that was a really silly comment about identity. You can type in any username you like, no identity on here is verified so 'arthur' might as well be 'unregistered'.

As for the rest of the comments, it always amuses me how the toys go out of the pram over a simple consumer item like a phone. The industry is self-congratulating, big deal, what's new. It's exactly the same with Car of the Year. Means nothing. Don't cry children, it's just a phone.

Old 18-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Unregistered

Maybe TIPA understand photography and imaging little bit deeper than just counting pixels...which quite frankly seems to be all that average phonegeek knows about photography.

Old 19-04-2009, 01:25 AM

Daly, I'm not crying over a phone and quite frankly I don't give a rat's a** what TIPA thinks. I'm not even sure why it was reported here.

Old 19-04-2009, 07:16 AM
Katren(Guest)

maybe N86 deserved it?

N86 offer 28mm wide-angled lens
N86 offer variable aperture
N86 offer 3rd generation dual led flash ( up to 3.5m )

btw, this is "Best Mobile Imaging Device" not "Best Mobile Camcorder Awards"

Old 19-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Unregistered

Cool To the idiots who mention the SE 12 mp cam phone

that 12 megapixel phone you guys talking about, the cameras on those phones , both the samsung and the SE cannot hold a candle to the N86 camera, cuz its not just about pixel density, but overall camera performance , aperture , quality of the lens (carl zeiss on the N86)light sensitivity, shot-to-shot time, shutter lag, etc. Nokia has achieved all this with the N86 cam. The N86 in addition to what i stated above offers a 28mm wide angled lens and variable aperture. So please stop fooling yourselves with all this talk about the samung and SE cam phones.
Ads

Old 19-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up

I understand N86 get the award , I have never see better cameraphone pics ,
the N86 will be my next phone for shoore.

Old 21-04-2009, 10:28 AM
noel046

The new Nokia N86 8MP, with an f/2.8 Zeiss wide-angle zoom lens and an 8MP sensor, represents a new step forward in that specific segment. The device sports centre weighted exposure, 1/1000 sec. shutter speed, multimode flash and several scene modes with macro down to 10cm, not to mention advanced communication and location technology also this master piece sports a 28mm wide angle lens and variable aparture and a high capacity dual led flash. All these are first on any mobile imaging device. These features are as same as on any stand alone camera. Hence they have done justice by awarding this phone.