All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 31-12-2009, 09:41 PM

Tezler is on a distinguished road
N86 - Sky+ planner times out on information/record

I installed the Sky Mobile application on my Nokia N86. This is the official one recommended by Sky.

When I first install it, and navigate the sky+ planner I can successfully reach the program information screen and record from there. Alternatively on first install I can record straight from the planner.

On first install, and on first attempt it obviously asks me for my username and password which I provide and continue with success.

However when I revisit the app the planner navigates BUT I can't record from the planner OR get to the informatio screen once a program is selected. Both attempts fail with the same time out error.

Has any one else witnessed this? Is there a fix? This happens on both WiFi and mobile connections.

Please help?

Old 05-01-2010, 04:32 PM

No body using the sky+ remote record? Even a reply telling me yours works fine would be hugely appreciated. Just would like confirmation whether this is a phone problem or an application problem.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:38 PM

brawbob is on a distinguished road
Sorry cant help with an answer but I have exactly the same problem. Sky tried to tell me via e mail, that my phones software was out of date. Strangely, it works perfectly on my Wifes 6700.
I really miss this app as I used it a lot.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:27 AM

Are there any third party alternatives for the N86? Having the ability to remote record is just so useful.

Old 13-01-2010, 03:32 PM

megapack162 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezler View Post
I installed the Sky Mobile application on my Nokia N86. This is the official one recommended by Sky.

When I first install it, and navigate the sky+ planner I can successfully reach the program information screen and record from there. Alternatively on first install I can record straight from the planner.

On first install, and on first attempt it obviously asks me for my username and password which I provide and continue with success.

However when I revisit the app the planner navigates BUT I can't record from the planner OR get to the informatio screen once a program is selected. Both attempts fail with the same time out error.

Has any one else witnessed this? Is there a fix? This happens on both WiFi and mobile connections.

Please help?
Are you still using the old SKY mobile app, that seemed to disappear late last year?

If you are then there's a new version available to download from the SKY website, browse here on your N86 or any other handset and install it.

It seems more stable and reliable than the older version and you can now navigate using the "Sky guide like" keys:

up a page (2)
down a page (8)
+24 hours (6)
-24 hours (4)
View Info (Center Select)
Record (Left Select)

Enjoy,

Alun.
Nokia N86 8MP (RM-484 11.043.239.01 Orange UK)

Old 13-01-2010, 04:27 PM

http://p.wecomm.com/sky

^^ that is how I downloaded it last month. Pointed my N86 there and installed. Worked on first boot/first login. Attempts now fail even when on wifi saying timed-out. The planner can be still navigated but if I hit record, or what programme information then the time out error is shown after some seconds!

Old 13-01-2010, 05:11 PM

megapack162 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you might need to re-register your phone on the Sky+ box or on the website.

As I said earlier, I've tried it a few times since installing the new version and it's queued up programs to record without any problems.

Old 13-01-2010, 09:50 PM

I also downloaded the new app from the address you quoted. It only works the first time I try after installing. After switching the phone off, it no longers sets the recorder and times out. I have tried uninstalling/renistalling, reregistering on Sky but am no further forward. Annoyingly, when I use my sim card in my Wifes 6700 I can use the service no problem everytime.

Old 16-01-2010, 06:28 PM

DaveNE is on a distinguished road
I have the exact same issue with two Nokia 5800's (mine and my partners).
Thought it was phone specific, but apparently not. I've equally gone around the houses with Sky customer services etc and it's clearly not their fault. I can get the app to work perfectly but only once after installing. Bit of a pain having to uninstall and reinstall just to send one record request.

If I track down any solution I'll post back here.

Thanks

Dave
Ads

Old 19-01-2010, 02:55 PM

Hope I am not speaking too soon, but I have been able to set record over the last two days with no problems or time outs. I could not view programme listings over the weekend and I had to re-enter all my log in details yet again, following a prompt, yesterday. Since doing this all the functions of the app. now appear to be working. I would be reluctant to say it now works ok but this is the longest the new app. has lasted since installing it.
Fingers crossed that Sky have tweaked something technical to sort this. If you know what I mean.

Old 20-01-2010, 10:36 AM

Thanks for posting Brawbob. It appears as though they may have actually done something, good on Sky! I don't want to speak too soon because I've only just tested it but so far so good. I'll try a few more times throughout the day and into tomorrow.

Fingers crossed it continues to work. If so I'm one happy chappy :-)