All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The BBC now streaming live mobile TV

Possibly only for UK residents (comments welcome below), the BBC has now started streaming live TV for compatible handsets (currently the Nokia 5800 only? - N96 owners, please chip in here) at mobile resolutions, 24 hours a day. The quality's currently not brilliant, seemingly a frame size of 176 by 144 pixels, though RealPlayer on a S60 phones will sample this up to fit, of course. But - it is TV, it is the real deal and you get the full range of BBC channels. including those normally only available via Freeview or cable/Sky. Screenshot proof, link and tips below.

Read on in the full article.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:07 AM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
It makes me wonder if protesting loudly to the BBC does actually have an effect. I've been giving them loads of stick on forums and feedback forms recently about dropping iPlayer downloads from the 5800. When Cellan-Jones squeezed yet another blog entry about the iPhone out of a trivial Apple press release the other day, I'd really had enough, and so had a lot of other people, judging from the number of people who let fly in the comments. So now they seem to be redressing the balance towards the increasing numbers of 5800 owners out there; good on 'em!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Unregistered

dam one time i have new news and i cant log in, i had to post as unregistered. so no cudos :0(

Old 03-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Unregistered

Better than the iPhone (imho)

I've been working hard to convinced the wife that overall, her new 5800 is far better than the iPhone even though it's cheaper (her nephew dropped the iPhone in the fish tank a few months back).

With the BBC now making an effort to nake it's services available to non iPhone users I think it's finally sinking in (even allowing for iPhone 3.0 software). If they carry on like this, I might even look forward to paying my TV license (sorry, I take that back).

By the way, now I've switched to a pay as you go contract I've been using Fring to make MSN calles to her over 3G instead of paying for minutes (Just £5 a month on 3). Quality can be patchy sometimes, but when reception is good it is excellent.

Very happy with the 5800. So much so, that I'm starting to wonder if it is worth hanging around for my next phone purchase (currently using N82). I was thinking N97/Omnia HD/Toshiba TG01(I love 800 x 480, WinMo 6.5 looks ok but no flash on camera...), but I'm starting to question whether (for me) it's actually worth the wait or extra money.

If they could just put a few more free apps out there for the 5800 and some nice games I think I be sold. Though the camera could be better. Improvements in next firmware ?

Zuber

Old 03-04-2009, 09:23 AM

samwarnaars is on a distinguished road
Just for your information,

the BBC video/radio is blocked for foreigners, and can't be accessed from a foreign phone (The Netherlands in my case).

Old 03-04-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwarnaars View Post

the BBC video/radio is blocked for foreigners, and can't be accessed from a foreign phone (The Netherlands in my case).
"To be born British is to win the lottery of life."

(Kipling?)

Old 03-04-2009, 03:01 PM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhoskins View Post
"To be born British is to win the lottery of life."

(Kipling?)
Actually, whether one is British or not is irrelevant.

It's curiously irrelevant if one pays a licence fee or not.

All one has to be is *in* the UK[1]

Max.

[1] IINM, you don't even have to be in the UK, since you could use a proxy server or vpn gateway located in the UK and be anywhere in the world.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:09 PM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwarnaars View Post

Neither of these statements is accurate, as far as I understand the situation.

You can be a foreigner and you can use a foreign phone. The only thing they check is if the IP address your accessing from is located in the UK - which, unless you do something fancy with proxies or vpn, means you have to be in the UK.

You don't even have to be a licence payer....that's the thing that gets me :/

If they would link the service with a licence fee, than I would almost certainly pay for one - and then I could use it anywhere in the world I happen to be. Of course, they could still not do the licence-fee thing for UP IP addresses, if they want, to make it easier for everyone there.

Yeah, I'm dreaming....but I'd bet they'd increase their audience and income...

Old 03-04-2009, 09:24 AM

Bosambo is on a distinguished road
Impending feeling of abandonement...

As the rest of the world decided the iPhone was the best thing EVAR over a year ago, I thought "well at least I have All About Symbian" it wasn't about the phone, it was about the platform. Then the BBC also decided to slight the people who were using the most used mobile OS and go for the fashion favourite iPhone...luckily everyone here was joined in unity over the unfairness of it.

Now I see us fractured and people who own the 5800 engaging in the sort of "me, me, me" attitude of the iPhone owners who grew tired of other mobile platforms users complaints. Is there a real reason to block people who own other S60 phones? Does AAS not think this is wrong? Half the front page stories are dedicated to a single handset. Time for a name change, All About 5800.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosambo View Post
Time for a name change, All About 5800.
I think that's rather unfair. AAS also get accused of being Nokia-centric, and yet they're obviously quite excited by the new Samsung Omnia HD. I think your perception is simply due to there being a real buzz around the 5800 at the moment; and come on, full iPlayer functionality and live TV is pretty significant news, in the UK at any rate. (But it probably won't be reported by the BBC, who will keep blathering on about iPhones.)

Old 03-04-2009, 11:01 AM

Bosambo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhoskins View Post
I think that's rather unfair. AAS also get accused of being Nokia-centric, and yet they're obviously quite excited by the new Samsung Omnia HD. I think your perception is simply due to there being a real buzz around the 5800 at the moment; and come on, full iPlayer functionality and live TV is pretty significant news, in the UK at any rate. (But it probably won't be reported by the BBC, who will keep blathering on about iPhones.)
Well funnily enough on visiting the BBC mobile site they're actually blathering on about the LG Arena.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:39 PM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosambo View Post
Half the front page stories are dedicated to a single handset. Time for a name change, All About 5800.
Right on! Fully agreed. The above two sentences sum it all up.

The once mighty AAS has become a poster boy for the crappy 5800. Good job guys of advertising the handset for Nokia.

Well guess what... I'm sorry but the 5800 is a plasticky POS handset for the masses. The artificial buzz created by AAS is sickening and so transparent. Any free handsets Nokia will throw to AAS they will sing its' praises and put 6 million articles about it on the front page.

What happened to AAS being target at a niche knowledgable audience?

To hell with 5800... bring back the old AAS !

Old 03-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
Right on! Fully agreed. The above two sentences sum it all up.

The once mighty AAS has become a poster boy for the crappy 5800. Good job guys of advertising the handset for Nokia.
AAS stands for All About SYMBIAN... the key word there is "Symbian".

The latest version of the Symbian OS is version 9.4, the latest version of S60 is S60 5th Edition.

The reason so many headlines have "5800" in them is because we're trying to cover the latest version of Symbian, and so far the only handset to use this latest version is the 5800. By default any coverage of the latest Symbian stuff is going to include a lot of 5800 material.

Once there are more S60 5th Edition devices in the shops we'll stop using the term "5800" and start talking more in terms of "S60 5th Edition", because the platform will also include the Samsung Omnia HD, Nokia N97 and whatever other S60v5 devices appear over the coming year.

Just to give a similar example, when S60 first launched you would have seen a heck of a lot of 7650 coverage, because the 7650 was the only handset to support it, but once other S60 devices appeared the 7650 got mentioned a lot less often.

Quote:
Well guess what... I'm sorry but the 5800 is a plasticky POS handset for the masses. The artificial buzz created by AAS is sickening and so transparent. Any free handsets Nokia will throw to AAS they will sing its' praises
You might want to get your facts straight before you start making accusations.

I wrote most of the 5800 beginners tutorials, and my 5800 was NOT free, it was purchased at full SIM-free price from an ordinary highstreet retailer.

And what's wrong with a cheap handset "for the masses"? Do you think smartphones should only be for a wealthy elite?

The main strength of Symbian is that it's a lot cheaper to produce mass market devices that can run the OS, so it can more easily reach a wider audience. Reaching as wide an audience as possible is key to the survival of any operating system. Symbian's future depends on it being used on ever-cheaper devices.

Quote:
What happened to AAS being target at a niche knowledgable audience?

To hell with 5800... bring back the old AAS !
AAS covers Symbian in all its forms, both cutting edge and mass market stuff.

Most of the stories on AAS do assume a lot of knowledge, but what's wrong with doing some tutorials covering the basics for people who are new to Symbian?

Or should we exclude newcomers because they don't know as much as us old hands?

A lot of people click on these tutorials. If people didn't read them, we wouldn't bother writing them.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:40 AM

deebr is on a distinguished road
Works very nicely on the N96.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
>>Now I see us fractured and people who own the 5800 engaging in the sort of "me, me, me" attitude of the iPhone owners who grew tired of other mobile platforms users complaints. Is there a real reason to block people who own other S60 phones? Does AAS not think this is wrong? Half the front page stories are dedicated to a single handset. Time for a name change, All About 5800.

You're doing us an injustice, I think. We simply report new developments in the industry. It's just that S60 5th Edition and its new capabilities (e.g. the N96-like RealPlayer integration and DRM needed here) are the focus of much of the effort from the ecosystem. Where possible, everything's also applied to 3rd Edition phones. I have various N95s and an N82 here and I try everything new that comes out on these as well. But if something only works on the N96 and 5800 (and the imminent N97), we have to simply report it as such.

In short, no-one's being 'blocked', it's just the focus of newsworthy stories tends to shift as times goes on.... though I'm as keen as the next person to see new apps for the 'classic' S60 phones - the E90, the N95 and N82.