All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 31-10-2010, 04:35 PM

boothy is on a distinguished road
AOL & BT automatic Mail retrieval ?

Hi All

On both my N8 and N97 I have had problems trying get my aol and BT email account to automatically retrieve on homescreen mail widget and mail.When I first set up mail box its seems to work fine then after a while it seems to stop auto retrieve even with the same retrieve settings - I have tried setting up mail box via wizard both with mail exchange and direct address input - I have also tried varying APN priority in destinations from contract wap\internet to wifi.I must be doing something wrong - I will go over my settings again - but any ideas \ explanation will greatly help.

Thanks in advance

Boothy
Ads

Old 31-10-2010, 04:39 PM

N8Owner is on a distinguished road
There is a fault with the mail client. Push email is not working. Until the fix is available you need to set the retrieval setting to Every 15 min (or a choice to your liking, but not soonest). Then it works fine.

Old 31-10-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8Owner View Post
There is a fault with the mail client. Push email is not working. Until the fix is available you need to set the retrieval setting to Every 15 min (or a choice to your liking, but not soonest). Then it works fine.
Hi N8 owner

Thanks for that - I have it on 30 mins at present - I think part of my problem was the mail number limit - I was up to 250 already - which is very easy to achieve - you would think that there would be some easy remove previous function\deletion - running up 250 emails is very easy - however I have just deleted off phone (^3 does not seem to give you a choice between deletion of phone or phone and server - anyway I have cleared my phones emails and they original emails are on my server still ).

The in phone user guide is useless - does anyone have a link for an concise N8 user guide - particularly for mail?

Thanks again for your rsponse N8owner

Boothy

Old 31-10-2010, 05:13 PM

I can understand your problem but I never have 250 emails in my inbox. :-) They are sorted into their respective folders so I had never come across this problem before. As to deleting emails that is easy to do. Either hold the individual email and then delete or go to Options > Mark > Select all the emails you want to delete (and again if you selected something by mistake) and then Options > Delete.

I am not sure whether the S^3 email client deletes from the server but under IMAP and Mail for Exchange it should do since they are meant to be always synced (the only time you should get the option to delete from server is when using Pop3) . Sometimes not immediately but it will do it. There are many problems with the mail system on the new phone which I don't have on my E71 and E72.

Sorry but I don't have a link for a user guide. Mine has been learnt by trial and erorr and also reading forums like this. Support from Nokia is abysmal.

Edit: Just checked my E72 and I do have an option of only deleting from the phone or both phone AND server when using IMAP.

Last edited by N8Owner; 31-10-2010 at 05:20 PM.

Old 31-10-2010, 05:15 PM

Hi Again

With respect to the previous post - all the deleted emails were completely re retrieved on next automatically retrieval albiet they were all read and I had the read sync with server option selected in settings - I have now marked all and saved to saved mail folder - I best find out where this is on C: so I can move accordingly ( I have set to retrieve headers only which shoukd reduce folder size).

Boothy

Old 31-10-2010, 05:23 PM

There are other shortcomings, too. Setting the retrieval period changes the settings for all mailboxes. Not very good.

Old 31-10-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I can understand your problem but I never have 250 emails in my inbox. :-) They are sorted into their respective folders so I had never come across this problem before. As to deleting emails that is easy to do. Either hold the individual email and then delete or go to Options > Mark > Select all the emails you want to delete (and again if you selected something by mistake) and then Options > Delete.

I am not sure whether the S^3 email client deletes from the server but under IMAP and Mail for Exchange it should do. Sometimes not immediatley but it will do it. There are many problems with the mail system on the new phone which I don't have on my E71 and E72.

Sorry but I don't have a link for a user guide. Mine has been learnt by trial and erorr and also reading forums like this. Support from Nokia is abysmal.
When you say respective folders do you mean the previous date folders ? this is how I have st up but emails seem to limit to total included within folders not just for current day but total to inbox.I may have misinterperated email limit size to inbox ?

Automatic rtrieval as retrieved all again ! although they have all been read (on server not phone ) and I have moved them all to saved folder - very frustrating

I also note you can only select emails as unread not read

Boothy

Old 31-10-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothy View Post
Hi Again
With respect to the previous post - all the deleted emails were completely re retrieved on next automatically retrieval albiet they were all read and I had the read sync with server option selected in settings - I have now marked all and saved to saved mail folder - I best find out where this is on C: so I can move accordingly ( I have set to retrieve headers only which shoukd reduce folder size).
Boothy
Then there is something fundamentally wrong with the email client. If you deleted the emails and they re-download each time we will never get rid of the emails from the server.

Quick question, are you using Nokia Messaging or directly with servers? I didn't get the option to use Nokia Messaging but others have and I wonder if there is any difference?

Old 31-10-2010, 05:29 PM

I was not given the mail option on N8 - just used wizard to input both my aol and BT eamial addresses directly

Boothy

Old 31-10-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothy View Post
When you say respective folders do you mean the previous date folders? Boothy
I mean sub-folders. In my IMAP email account on the N8 I can click on the Inbox tab at the top and then select some default folders or click on others. This then shows me a list of all my sub-folders as they are on my email server (in this case GMail).

Old 31-10-2010, 05:43 PM

Just checked and on my N8 both the IMAP and MfE accounts delete the mail on the server but they are taking about 5-8 mins to come off the server. I am not sure the reason for the delay (I resync after deletion). Please let me know if you get any joy too.

Old 31-10-2010, 05:47 PM

Thanks - I have moved some to saved folders already.

I have noticed that when I mark all with my BT account - I can select all as read but only mark as unread with my AOL account - it may therefore be a aol imap thing

I have since moved my aol emails to saved option direct on server - long way around - I do not want to chance deleting copies from server

Boothy

Old 31-10-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Just checked and on my N8 both the IMAP and MfE accounts delete the mail on the server but they are taking about 5-8 mins to come off the server. I am not sure the reason for the delay (I resync after deletion). Please let me know if you get any joy too.
Yes its taking a similar time to resync on server - I have saved all important emails to a saved folder on server but again its a long way around

Boothy