All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-02-2008, 02:54 PM

churchbee is on a distinguished road
Is This Odd Or What ?

Is This Odd Or What ?

yesterday i installed ovi onto my n95 8gb with 3 and it works perfect , no probs..
today on my home screen just below the WLAN scanning off symbol, has appeared a green box with OVI symbol followed by ..star ..o ..speech bubble.. 0
ANY IDEA ?
if i click it it takes me to the share online options of ovi flickr and vox

Old 20-02-2008, 03:16 PM

chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchbee View Post
..... today on my home screen just below the WLAN scanning off symbol, has appeared a green box with OVI symbol followed by ..star ..o ..speech bubble.. 0
ANY IDEA ?
Er, what is so odd about that. It's an Active Standby Plugin that show's how many new images or comments have been downloaded (assuming you have Share Online set to d/l automatically in the background).

Been commented on before (by me actually ) and there is no user definable setting for it. Install Share Online v3 and which ever service you have activated pops details therein. Pain in the butt, but learn to live with it.

Old 20-02-2008, 03:25 PM

churchbee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsfrwll View Post
Er, what is so odd about that. It's an Active Standby Plugin that show's how many new images or comments have been downloaded (assuming you have Share Online set to d/l automatically in the background).

Been commented on before (by me actually ) and there is no user definable setting for it. Install Share Online v3 and which ever service you have activated pops details therein. Pain in the butt, but learn to live with it.
=======

ok ,its no prob, i guess what concerned me was the star 0 speechbubble 0.. thought it was some sort of error code ......guess its using microsoft windows for to many years.. error codes
thanks alot

Old 20-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
yeah, though it only appears after a restart...which was confusing me for a few seconds....

Its a shame the post online link from the images cant allow you to choose where to post it to...

Old 20-02-2008, 03:55 PM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
I think Nokia seriously need to address the need for us to choose which active standby plugins are displayed! I don't want any of them except the calendar!

Old 20-02-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontraband View Post
Its a shame the post online link from the images cant allow you to choose where to post it to...
That threw me for a bit as well. If you want to choose which Channel to post to, you need to use Menu > Open Online Service, to open Share and from there pick the appropriate Channel/destination. Just clicking the "Post Online" icon while looking at the picture just sends it to whichever last used. Not so clever.

Old 20-02-2008, 04:54 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
...just sends it to whichever last used....
... or whichever one is set to "default", maybe? Giving you a choice at the time of posting would mean that they wouldn't be able to claim that you can upload with a single button press; so my vote is that they leave it as it is. Because it's so cool it's bloody science fiction.

I held off on Ovi Share / Twango for a while because I didn't really see the advantage over Flickr. After I succumbed though, I uploaded a video/slideshow that had been filmed, edited, dubbed, and uploaded entirely with my N95. Now that gave me a real kick. After the best part of a year, with the current firmware and beta apps, the promise of the N95 has been fulfilled really, and the people who derided Nokia's use of the term 'multimedia computer' haven't really got a leg to stand on.

Old 20-02-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhoskins View Post
... or whichever one is set to "default", maybe?
No, it's not that. With Twango, sorry Ovi, you can have multiple channels to upload to and I've not yet found a default. Agreed it's pretty cool and one touch is nice but it doesn't work very well at the moment from within Gallery. From within ShareOnline though it's fine, though hardly one touch.

Old 20-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That threw me for a bit as well. If you want to choose which Channel to post to, you need to use Menu > Open Online Service, to open Share and from there pick the appropriate Channel/destination. Just clicking the "Post Online" icon while looking at the picture just sends it to whichever last used. Not so clever.
yeah, I know the work around, but Id just like a little option off the upload icon on the picture... you know... just to make things easy.

Old 21-02-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
No, it's not that. .
Sorry, that's definitely right. With the version I have, it's definitely the one you set as default rather than the last one you used which is offered to you in Gallery.
If you go to ShareOnline (v3.1, (I have 3.0.07.051)) you have a list of services. I have Flickr and OviShare, Vox is there but isn't set up. You highlight one, then select 'options' - 'set as default'. If I do this with OviShare, it asks me if I want to set me.mymedia or me.pubic as the default. Then, in Gallery, when I move to the ShareOnline button on the RHS, it offers me whichever service I have just set as default.

Old 21-02-2008, 10:36 AM

And sorry but this doesn't work properly (or at least, not for me - to be slightly more diplomatic ;-) ). Yes the facility is there as you describe but although you may select one of the Ovi channels as default, there is a bug somewhere such that the One Touch posting from within Gallery will send the picture to the last created channel and not the one you specify as "default".

(I've just tried it again and it ain't working)

Old 21-02-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:

(I've just tried it again and it ain't working)
Aahhh... so you're saying it sends it to the OviShare channel last used rather than the last service used. Setting the default service to eg either Flickr or OviShare works fine. OK, I had misunderstood the problem.