All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-06-2006, 11:32 PM

gergo is on a distinguished road
miniSD memory speed requirement for N80

I'm going to buy a new mini SD for my N80 soon. What is the minimum memory speed that should give the N80 a decent performance? I'll be using it to store videos, mp3 and other softwares. How fast can the N80 go anyway? 40x? 80x? 150x???

Is the PQI miniSD good enough? It's the cheapest available locally but its webpage doesn't indicate it's transfer speed. Thanks

Old 19-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I don't think there is any meniton of speed etc, but generally it is probably a good idea to pay a little bit more. I've had a SanDisk card that hasn't had any problems.

Old 19-06-2006, 11:52 AM

Jimi Desaint is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
I don't think there is any meniton of speed etc, but generally it is probably a good idea to pay a little bit more. I've had a SanDisk card that hasn't had any problems.

Hi there,
New to all this smartphone stuff ... thinking of buy a 2GB Sandisk MiniSD Card for my N80. Does this slow down any apps on the phone?

Also I use hotmail & yahoo Instant Messengers..is there any way I can pick these up on my N80...if so how do i set them up ??

Like I said very new to all this technology so at the moment don't have any network at home..but have found several wifi lans around work. Just not sure how to use these with the phone to check IM messages?

Any help..greatly apprieciated.

Old 19-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
No slow down on apps for big mmcs although generally mmc is best for media files an less frequently used applications.

For Yahoo MSN IM agile Messgener is a good option www.agilemobile.com. There are other threads on this too which you may want to check.

To connect via WLAN you really need to set up a WLAN as an access point. This can be done in Settings. You can then select this wlan as your access point within agile messenger.

Old 19-06-2006, 02:41 PM

Winfield is on a distinguished road
@Jimi Desaint
If buying sandisk try the Ultra II model. It says it's capable of 9mb/s write and 10mb/s read. I'm waiting for mine so can't just confirm the speed yet.
Regds

Old 19-06-2006, 03:14 PM

Jimi Desaint is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfield
@Jimi Desaint
If buying sandisk try the Ultra II model. It says it's capable of 9mb/s write and 10mb/s read. I'm waiting for mine so can't just confirm the speed yet.
Regds

Hi Winfield,

Thanks for that, I'll look into that one. If you do get yours in the meantime let me know how you get on with it.

Thanks

Old 12-07-2006, 07:13 AM

nbarksda is on a distinguished road
so, does the sandisk ultra II work?

does the sandisk ultra II mini SD card work with the N80 at the speed that sandisk advertises?

sandisk recommended the standard miniSD card.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:14 AM

vin_eme is on a distinguished road
Well offcourse there in an increase in performance. I use 2GB ultra II on my device. Did face any slowdown issues. Works a treat!

Old 12-07-2006, 08:15 AM

vin_eme is on a distinguished road
oops! i meant "didnt" sorry for the typo.

But there no way to measure the speed of read and write. It works better than the normal 2GB mini SD card.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:31 PM

When using the phone (gallery, apps, etc) I didnt see much of a boost. But when connected via usb cable to transfer stuff from and to PC it really is a lot faster.
Regds

Old 12-07-2006, 01:57 PM

knuckleskin is on a distinguished road
Unfortunatly on the N80 the speed is limited to 1.5mbs transfer speeds, if you are using the USB attachment to transfer files to it (I thought, anyway). My miniSD card came with a plug for SD cards which allows me to connect it directly to my laptop and achieve the faster speeds.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:16 PM

Hmm then I must be getting psychological speed... Ignore my last post then.
Regds

Old 12-07-2006, 11:31 PM

de_construct is on a distinguished road
I purchased a normal speed Sandisk 2GB MiniSD for my N80... I have been suffering from unsatisfactory performance in the Gallery Application, and was considering ebaying my MiniSD and getting the Ultra II version.

I have a custom theme, which I moved from the card to the phone memory, seems to have helped slightly, but I'm now convinced that Gallery is pretty buggy, and the performance can only be helped by a firmware update.

In hindsight, I don't know why I felt the need for such a large card, as it hasn't really been up to the job of replacing my iPod, although it has enabled me to leave the Palm and Digicam at home.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:59 PM

I also believe the Gallery app has problems. Especially if you have many files and/or large files (large pics, large videos).
Regds

Old 13-07-2006, 03:26 PM

knuckleskin is on a distinguished road
Yeah, i'm not a huge fan of the gallery application either, but there is nothing much else you can use.

Also i quite happily using my 2gb miniSD card as an alternative to buying a nano, no real speed problems once i take the card out of my phone.