All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-08-2006, 05:30 PM

TechnoMan is on a distinguished road
Nokia N80 & TomTom - The truth.

Everyone knows that tomtom have not yet released software or a patch so run their satnav on an s60-3 phone, but on various threads it has been said that they are working on new software or on a patch for the current stuff, can anyone provide a link from tomtom or elsewhere that specifically states what is happening over this?

Cheers

Old 30-08-2006, 10:33 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoMan
Everyone knows that tomtom have not yet released software or a patch so run their satnav on an s60-3 phone, but on various threads it has been said that they are working on new software or on a patch for the current stuff, can anyone provide a link from tomtom or elsewhere that specifically states what is happening over this?

Cheers
I received an email from TomTom support in July stating that they were working on a new version of TT Mobile 5, but there was no release date set.

In my view TT is the best GPS app for smartphones, and I will wait as long as it takes. The plus side of delays is that TT are probably doing loads of testing before release.

Considering that N80 V4 FW appears to have resolved the bluetooth DATA/GPS issues, then I would be surprised if TomTom don't release the patch in the next month or so.

It's also worth mentioning that Nokia will most likely use Symbian 3rd Edition on all future smartphones, so all Symbian APP vendors will have to embrace and support this version of the OS if they want to continue making money from Nokia users.

Dez

Old 30-08-2006, 03:16 PM

rcastberg is on a distinguished road
Well looks like tomtom just released ver 6.
Though i can't see any compatability statements:
Press Release
TomTom 6 Product page
Ads

Old 30-08-2006, 04:36 PM

Telumehtar is on a distinguished road
That'd be about right, rcastberg, given that I gave up waiting for Tomtom and bought Navicore *last night*...

I'll console myself for the meantime with "Currently not available through TomTom.com".

But I'd be surprised if this version didn't support 3rd Edition.

Old 30-08-2006, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcastberg
Well looks like tomtom just released ver 6.
Though i can't see any compatability statements:
Press Release
TomTom 6 Product page
This press release refers to TomTom Navigator 6, which is for PDA's and Windows Mobile OS devices, not for Symbian mobile devices.

However, if TT Navigator 6 is out, then TT Mobile 6 is probably not far behind

Last edited by dez_borders; 30-08-2006 at 06:12 PM.

Old 30-08-2006, 06:39 PM

bmh.01 is on a distinguished road
It says in the press release tt5 nav and tt5 mobile have been merged into one, its just tt6 navigator now theres no seperate mobile version.

Old 31-08-2006, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh.01
It says in the press release tt5 nav and tt5 mobile have been merged into one, its just tt6 navigator now theres no seperate mobile version.
I stand corrected!

TomTom Unveils TomTom NAVIGATOR 6

New product integrates TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 and TomTom MOBILE 5 into one multi-platform solution

TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 will be available from September 2006. It is available as a stand alone software product or bundled together with a mobile phone or PDA (see separate press release) through retailers. TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 will cost from 69.

I have a horrible feeling the from 69 mentioned in the press release will be the charge for upgrading from V5 to V6.

So we will know about Tomtom N80 support one way or the other in September!

Dez

Old 31-08-2006, 08:16 AM

snowy999 is on a distinguished road
I think your probably right about the from 69, although on the euro release it says:
"TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 with navigation software and the maps of a country / region plus major roads of Western Europe on memory card, will cost 99. "

Says "will cost 99", although on the UK release satement it from "will cost from 69". Can only hope it means will cost not will cost from, although if it was 69 / 99 (same price give or take) then it would be in line with route 66.

Old 31-08-2006, 03:36 PM

vibez is on a distinguished road
I just bought navicore two days ago and to be honest i'm quite disapointed by it (although there doesn't appear to be anything better on the market at the moment- which is a shame)

I really hope the new tomtom navigator works on my beloved n80, because navicore will be going straight on ebay

Old 31-08-2006, 04:03 PM

TechnoMan is on a distinguished road
Do you get the speed camera alerts on the mobile version?

Old 31-08-2006, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy999
I think your probably right about the from £69, although on the euro release it says:
"TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 with navigation software and the maps of a country / region plus major roads of Western Europe on memory card, will cost € 99. "

Says "will cost € 99", although on the UK release satement it from "will cost from £69". Can only hope it means will cost not will cost from, although if it was £69 / € 99 (same price give or take) then it would be in line with route 66.
Yes, I guess TomTom could be pricing the new product lower to compete with R66 and others.

Unfortunately, I still fear there may be no FREE upgrade from v5 to v6.

Please TT, prove me wrong and release a v5 to v6 patch real soon.

Dez

Old 02-09-2006, 08:23 AM

Gurney is on a distinguished road
Well, when checking there :
http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/cat/N80-GPS.htm

it seems that Navigator 6 will be compatible with N80. Hurray !

Old 04-09-2006, 03:22 PM

snowy999 is on a distinguished road
Still no solid info on the release date for Tomtom Navigator 6, but some of the online web stores, DABS etc., seem to have already listed and priced the product, but currently showing no availability.

TomTom Navgiator 6 Software - GB
quicklinx: 48LYWS | mfr#: IT90.060
None in stock 74.29

Old 04-09-2006, 03:50 PM

Telumehtar is on a distinguished road
There is now a compatibility list here:
http://www.tomtom.com/products/featu...237&Language=1

The only Nokia listed is the E61. It's quite possible this list will change over the next few weeks, but what do we know about the E61? Is it 3rd Edition, how do its CPU and memory compare to the N80, and what is its screen resolution?

Old 04-09-2006, 05:52 PM

Resonate1 is on a distinguished road
If it works on the E61 it works on the N80, software wise they are the same and screen res etc.

I have tomtom 6 now however there is no setup or application files for Symbian at all, it appears the current version is for Pocket PC only